Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have seen a bunch of 4dr reviews, but not too many 2DR and even fewer manual transmission reviews. I will try to hit the points others might not have discused. Perspective...I am a layperson, not a mechanic, not an avid off-roader...just a guy who wanted a Bronco.

Overall perspective, the vehicle is super easy to drive. The MT is smooth, the clutch has a great feel to it, the 2.3 has plenty of oompf, and the combo of MT and 2.3 seems to be a really great pairing.

The 2DR is a very nimble vehicle. Turning radius seems tight, it is easy to maneuver, drive, park, etc.

The non-sas Black Diamond is plenty tall for me. It sits higher than photos would have you believe, but it feels very proportional with the 2dr. 4dr might need the sas to scale better, IMO.

The MIC seems fine, not a POS, but nothing I would brag about. Looks very good from 10 feet and 5 feet, at 1 foot...it is not 100% perfect on certain edges.

The front two panels are easy to take on and off. They only take about 60 seconds to remove. The only thing I would want is a handle I could use to carry them easier as I could see accidental drops occurring. Also, I could hang these on the wall by the handle rather than leaning them against a wall to maybe fall over.

The MT...I love it. This car was designed for the MT, IMO. The armrest, the shifter, the radio/climate controls, all fit and function so nicely together.

The speedometer screen and information panel...the same person who designed the center portion of the cockpit must have been out sick on this day. The redundancy of information (speedo) and the diminutive nature of the tach/RPMs seems misplaced, IMO. I hope this is addressed through software updates.

The driveability of this is amazing. I love having my whole arm on the window sill, unencumbered by the side pillar. Feels great.

Windnoise...it is present but not really noticeable. For a top with removeable panels and rear portion, there is bound to be some noise, but there really isn't much.

The MGV and the seats are very comfortable. I was able to adjust my seat (6'2") and my wife seat (5'2") and we are both comfy.

I love the interior, some might disagree, but I think it is perfect for what it is. To be able to wipe down, wash out the inside is great.

Lastly, I have driven this in city and on highways, and I really love it. Corners well, there is no slop, wobble, tracking issues etc. It is just an amazingly easy, fun, cool truck to drive.

Ask any questions, but you all wont be disappointed with this vehicle.

First photo is when I first brought it home. Others are from the first trip to the beach house with the new whip. The Area 51 shows differently in shade vs sun vs night time...very cool, IMO.

Ford Bronco 2DR Area 51 BD 2.3 MT Review... PXL_20211111_023312981.NIGHT

Ford Bronco 2DR Area 51 BD 2.3 MT Review... PXL_20211112_181116538

Ford Bronco 2DR Area 51 BD 2.3 MT Review... PXL_20211112_181139478

Ford Bronco 2DR Area 51 BD 2.3 MT Review... PXL_20211112_181217759

Ford Bronco 2DR Area 51 BD 2.3 MT Review... PXL_20211112_181243005

Ford Bronco 2DR Area 51 BD 2.3 MT Review... PXL_20211112_181307953

Ford Bronco 2DR Area 51 BD 2.3 MT Review... PXL_20211112_181326084
Sponsored

Last edited:

Macjr

Black Diamond
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad, 2020 Volvo xc40 RDesign
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks For the review! Hope you both enjoy the cool new ride!!

lethaljake

First Edition
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 RCSB 5.0
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I have seen a bunch of 4dr reviews, but not too many 2DR and even fewer manual transmission reviews. I will try to hit the points others might not have discused. Perspective...I am a layperson, not a mechanic, not an avid off-roader...just a guy who wanted a Bronco.

Overall perspective, the vehicle is super easy to drive. The MT is smooth, the clutch has a great feel to it, the 2.3 has plenty of oompf, and the combo of MT and 2.3 seems to be a really great pairing.

The 2DR is a very nimble vehicle. Turning radius seems tight, it is easy to maneuver, drive, park, etc.

The non-sas Black Diamond is plenty tall for me. It sits higher than photos would have you believe, but it feels very proportional with the 2dr. 4dr might need the sas to scale better, IMO.

The MIC seems fine, not a POS, but nothing I would brag about. Looks very good from 10 feet and 5 feet, at 1 foot...it is not 100% perfect on certain edges.

The front two panels are easy to take on and off. They only take about 60 seconds to remove. The only thing I would want is a handle I could use to carry them easier as I could see accidental drops occurring. Also, I could hang these on the wall by the handle rather than leaning them against a wall to maybe fall over.

The MT...I love it. This car was designed for the MT, IMO. The armrest, the shifter, the radio/climate controls, all fit and function so nicely together.

The speedometer screen and information panel...the same person who designed the center portion of the cockpit must have been out sick on this day. The redundancy of information (speedo) and the diminutive nature of the tach/RPMs seems misplaced, IMO. I hope this is addressed through software updates.

The driveability of this is amazing. I love having my whole arm on the window sill, unencumbered by the side pillar. Feels great.

Windnoise...it is present but not really noticeable. For a top with removeable panels and rear portion, there is bound to be some noise, but there really isn't much.

The MGV and the seats are very comfortable. I was able to adjust my seat (6'2") and my wife seat (5'2") and we are both comfy.

I love the interior, some might disagree, but I think it is perfect for what it is. To be able to wipe down, wash out the inside is great.

Lastly, I have driven this in city and on highways, and I really love it. Corners well, there is no slop, wobble, tracking issues etc. It is just an amazingly easy, fun, cool truck to drive.

Ask any questions, but you all wont be disappointed with this vehicle.

First photo is when I first brought it home. Others are from the first trip to the beach house with the new whip. The Area 51 shows differently in shade vs sun vs night time...very cool, IMO.

PXL_20211111_023312981.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20211112_181116538.jpg

PXL_20211112_181139478.jpg

PXL_20211112_181217759.jpg

PXL_20211112_181243005.jpg

PXL_20211112_181307953.jpg

PXL_20211112_181326084.jpg
Great read. Awesome review!

Last edited by a moderator:

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great review! I'll be getting an Area 51 2Dr as well, just Badlands w Squatch, so good to hear your take on the drive and liking the color. Love the black steelies you put on her!

Which interior trim did you get? Do you have the big screen or if not, still happy with the smaller version?

Totally agree with you and several reviewers on the speedo, wish it were digital analog if that makes sense, but guess Ford wanted to go modern.

Post some pics of you wheeling on the beach! Enjoy, rinse, then repeat. 🤣

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dude you should write car reviews. Short, and good

Sponsored

talbot

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr BL AMB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

great write up thanks

I drove my 2dr BL for 20 minutes last week before dropping off to get wrapped, I expected wind noise but more than I would have thought.
I do have the roof rack, I'm going to remove it to see if there's a noticeable difference

felt same as you driving the 2 door for the few minutes I did

the 2dr BD is a great look, all the way around

mdk100

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911, Cayenne, BMW X3e, 2 door BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Exactly my config, though I’m a long way from getting one. Just did Off Rodeo and drove a 2dr Sasquatch. I was a bit more impressed by Trail Turn and One Pedal than I thought I’d be. So I’m now tempted by the auto. I’m still torn on Sas. Clearly has more clearance, but I love the steelies. The 32’s look good in your pics. I’m hoping to see one in person soon!

OP
OP
rugbysecondrow

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Great review! I'll be getting an Area 51 2Dr as well, just Badlands w Squatch, so good to hear your take on the drive and liking the color. Love the black steelies you put on her!

Which interior trim did you get? Do you have the big screen or if not, still happy with the smaller version?

Totally agree with you and several reviewers on the speedo, wish it were digital analog if that makes sense, but guess Ford wanted to go modern.

Post some pics of you wheeling on the beach! Enjoy, rinse, then repeat. 🤣
I got the basic interior. I might be in the minority, but I like the smaller screen and I prefer knobs and buttons vs. a larger screen and digital panel.

Driving it, there is nothing I feel like I am missing.

I love the keyless entry on the door. I use that all the time. For $110, it has to be the best value accessory.

MerNJ

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX9
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Besides keyless entry what other options did you get (including your comments)?

OP
OP
rugbysecondrow

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Besides keyless entry what other options did you get (including your comments)?
I got the:
-advanced 4x4...I haven't had the opportunity to use it.
-Keyless entry...use it everyday.
-Floor mats...not sure I needed them, with the washout interiour, but went for them anyway.

That's it. I have the standard setup (no Mid) and everything else is the basic that comes on the BD model. I love it!

Sponsored

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Nice! BD is set up just fine.