First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Jags, 2 Jeeps, Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yesterday my order was for a 2D BL, 2.7, Sas, Lux. Thanks to https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/members/northshorebronco.4888/ post and excellent video on his awesome 2D BL 2.3 Man, I made the switch. Here was my rationale, call me crazy but hey, this many days in and countless to go, still plenty of time to change my mind (again)!

- Seeing his video and commentary from others on the merits of stick vs auto, I’m sold and agree…this is my truck and I’ve enjoyed my prior sports cars with sticks (RX-7 Turbo, Mini Cooper JCR works, Jag F-type S). Row your own is more engaging and just more fun to drive.
- The 2.3 has enough power, and so now I’ve been reading about plug & play tune options, which seems to negate the performance difference between 2.3 and 2.7. (Side story…my Jag with the 3.0 six / manual . 380+ HP was SCARY fast and got me in big trouble, the Jag V8 with 500+ HP would have only been worse!)
- The Bronco is a truck, purpose built, not a go fast machine.

- Different topic - suspension: from all I have read, the BL suspension is the same as the Sas, except the SAS has bump stops to accommodate extra height of the 35s. I fully intend to replace tires and wheels for less offset / more “poke”, and contemplating 37s, and a 3” lift (combo spacer and perch collar….I’m convinced that’s the way to go for my use case).
- So, from this I conclude that Sas vs BL, when changing wheels & tires, AND (important!) the 2.3l/man gets you the 4.7 gears. So rather than paying for Sas and having an extra set of 35s in the barn, I’m like OK, what’s the point?

- Yet a different topic - interior: I scrubbed the compare again between High and Lux; Lux has a bunch of stuff I don’t need, but the two that put me over are heated steering wheel and B&O sound: Heated steering, as far as I’m concerned, is the 2nd best automotive invention behind heated seats. The B&O system, while it has mixed reviews, is an engineered, wired, and installed system, the heavy lifting already done by Ford and not something I need to invest time and energy into improving on.

- Final topic - tow package: this is an old issue on B6G but my dealer confirmed again today…tow package is a constraint. I will use it for bike rack, cargo basket, and the occasional tow of my motorcycle trailer, so I know there will come a time when lights are important. From researching the good info on this forum, the constraint seems likely to be with the module which is part of the factory installed wiring. So based on that, even though it’s solvable in the aftermarket and not a huge deal, I have always ordered SUVs with factory tow packages and I think I’ll stick with it, even though it probably pushes me further out in the schedule.

- OK, one last item - accessories: as most probably already knew (except me), accessories are more expensive through Dealer Parts vs ordering with the truck. I removed one I don’t think I really need and added a few I know I will use, which saves me a few hundred over buying through parts.

Comments welcome (yeah, I know, careful what I ask for!). Likely but unfortunately plenty of time to make more changes as I learn more from y’all!
Sponsored

ogo

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I went through almost the same thought process late last year in December. I know I'm so far down the list, I'll most likely end up changing my order again. I am curious to see the Everglades but I don't know it'll cause me to change my order. I also want to hear about the Heritage Edition.

Basically as everyone has said, order what will make you happy. I know I did

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yesterday my order was for a 2D BL, 2.7, Sas, Lux. Thanks to https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/members/northshorebronco.4888/ post and excellent video on his awesome 2D BL 2.3 Man, I made the switch. Here was my rationale, call me crazy but hey, this many days in and countless to go, still plenty of time to change my mind (again)!

- Seeing his video and commentary from others on the merits of stick vs auto, I’m sold and agree…this is my truck and I’ve enjoyed my prior sports cars with sticks (RX-7 Turbo, Mini Cooper JCR works, Jag F-type S). Row your own is more engaging and just more fun to drive.
- The 2.3 has enough power, and so now I’ve been reading about plug & play tune options, which seems to negate the performance difference between 2.3 and 2.7. (Side story…my Jag with the 3.0 six / manual . 380+ HP was SCARY fast and got me in big trouble, the Jag V8 with 500+ HP would have only been worse!)
- The Bronco is a truck, purpose built, not a go fast machine.

- Different topic - suspension: from all I have read, the BL suspension is the same as the Sas, except the SAS has bump stops to accommodate extra height of the 35s. I fully intend to replace tires and wheels for less offset / more “poke”, and contemplating 37s, and a 3” lift (combo spacer and perch collar….I’m convinced that’s the way to go for my use case).
- So, from this I conclude that Sas vs BL, when changing wheels & tires, AND (important!) the 2.3l/man gets you the 4.7 gears. So rather than paying for Sas and having an extra set of 35s in the barn, I’m like OK, what’s the point?

- Yet a different topic - interior: I scrubbed the compare again between High and Lux; Lux has a bunch of stuff I don’t need, but the two that put me over are heated steering wheel and B&O sound: Heated steering, as far as I’m concerned, is the 2nd best automotive invention behind heated seats. The B&O system, while it has mixed reviews, is an engineered, wired, and installed system, the heavy lifting already done by Ford and not something I need to invest time and energy into improving on.

- Final topic - tow package: this is an old issue on B6G but my dealer confirmed again today…tow package is a constraint. I will use it for bike rack, cargo basket, and the occasional tow of my motorcycle trailer, so I know there will come a time when lights are important. From researching the good info on this forum, the constraint seems likely to be with the module which is part of the factory installed wiring. So based on that, even though it’s solvable in the aftermarket and not a huge deal, I have always ordered SUVs with factory tow packages and I think I’ll stick with it, even though it probably pushes me further out in the schedule.

- OK, one last item - accessories: as most probably already knew (except me), accessories are more expensive through Dealer Parts vs ordering with the truck. I removed one I don’t think I really need and added a few I know I will use, which saves me a few hundred over buying through parts.

Comments welcome (yeah, I know, careful what I ask for!). Likely but unfortunately plenty of time to make more changes as I learn more from y’all!
540 days? It’s only been launched for approximately 182 days, so 366 days were just waiting for production to begin. I waited 25 years for production to begin again.

To your questions - dealer can install tow and ford 5 pin plug in wiring. Unless you need 7 pin I would personally drop. On the engine I believe the 2.3 is a great choice.

OP
OP

77Highboy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Jags, 2 Jeeps, Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
540 days? It’s only been launched for approximately 182 days, so 366 days were just waiting for production to begin. I waited 25 years for production to begin again.

To your questions - dealer can install tow and ford 5 pin plug in wiring. Unless you need 7 pin I would personally drop. On the engine I believe the 2.3 is a great choice.
Very helpful...made me realize I should be talking to the parts / service desk on the tow issue. 5 pin is fine for my needs. Good point on the wait, puts it in perspective!

SpeedTwin

Badlands
First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You definitely won't regret your configuration once it comes in. I went through a similar thought process to end up in the same place. I love my manual transmission badlands sans sasquatch.
Sponsored