Sponsored

2nd Thoughts about the Bronco Sport? - Will You Consider Switching from the Bronco?

OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Don't think anyone planning to shell out 40-60k on a Bronco was considering it for city driving primarily.
Perhaps you live in a smaller town or rural area, pretty much everyone I know, in the market for a Bronco, that live in larger cities, will be shelling out 40-60k on a Bronco and will be using it primarily for city driving, 80% to 90% of the time, as their daily driver.

On the other hand, I personally don't know anyone that will only use it for a weekend toy.
Sponsored

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Perhaps you live in a smaller town or rural area, pretty much everyone I know, in the market for a Bronco, that live in larger cities, will be shelling out 40-60k on a Bronco and will be using it primarily for city driving, 80% to 90% of the time, as their daily driver.

On the other hand, I personally don't know anyone that will only use it for a weekend toy.
Wouldn't consider outside of Annapolis and Baltimore rural, but hey there is no accounting for blowing money :)

Sponsored
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
No.

I've actually been pretty impressed by what I've seen with the Sport so far. It looks like it'll be the best option in the compact crossover segment for anyone who wants more capability, ruggedness, rear headroom, etc. That said, the Bronco (both 2D and 4D) are in a different segment altogether and shouldn't really compete against each other at all.

I don't hear it discussed very much, but I'm much more concerned about how much a vehicle is going to cost me in depreciation over the span I own it vs it's initial cost, regardless of how high it is. I'd buy a $60K Bronco/Wrangler/4Runner/Etc over a $35K Bronco Sport in a heartbeat if I had good reason to believe that, after 5-7 years, the resale delta was nearly the same, which may very well be the case between the Bronco and the Sport.

I will say, I think the Sport is going to SERIOUSLY eat into sales of models like the Subaru Crosstrek/Forester and Jeep Compass/Cherokee in the coming years. Good for Ford.

Slickrock

Wildtrak
First Name
Slick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline 06
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I will say, I think the Sport is going to SERIOUSLY eat into sales of models like the Subaru Crosstrek/Forester and Jeep Compass/Cherokee in the coming years. Good for Ford.
Especially since Subaru is willing to die on the CVT hill..

Also considering that Jeep is going luxury boat with the upcoming Grand Cherokee redesign, longer and fatter. Where that leaves the Cherokee will be interesting.

OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Also considering that Jeep is going luxury boat with the upcoming Grand Cherokee redesign, longer and fatter. Where that leaves the Cherokee will be interesting.
I was shocked to recently learn my wife's 2018 Forester has a factory 10 year extended transmission warranty they added for free due to the CVT issues some are having, fortunately ours is fine

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Agreed - I wouldn't be surprised if Jeep re-positions the Compass into a more direct competitor to the Bronco Sport in a couple/few years. Taller/boxier/more off-road capable, better interior, etc.

BDub

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport FE, F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I was shocked to recently learn my wife's 2018 Forester has a factory 10 year extended transmission warranty they added for free due to the CVT issues some are having, fortunately ours is fine
Same here. My wife’s 2018 XT with CVT doesn’t have any issues but I’ll be swapping it for the Sport.

Sponsored

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Agreed - I wouldn't be surprised if Jeep re-positions the Compass into a more direct competitor to the Bronco Sport in a couple/few years. Taller/boxier/more off-road capable, better interior, etc.
I had a "trail rated" compass as a rental once. It was really bad. Not quite ford ecosport bad but very similar.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Definitely no second thoughts but trying to talk others into, wife or some inlaws.

BHShaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Oh Man. This thread got me looking at the Sport and.... hmmmmm.
I might luck out as my wives Fusion Energi Lease is up next year sometime.
If they had a PHEV on launch I am 99% I could get her into it.

I'm pretty set on a year 2 or 3 Bronco Bronco, but I were not in it just for the Top Off.....
the Sport-BL is hitting my sweet spots.

I need a daily commuter that is smaller, I MTB and Kayak and need to be able to get into places a Explorer is too much a fattie for. I am shorter at 5'8" and my daughter is off to college after this year leaving just my son and I for adventuring, so back seats become about folding down and that little bit more space. I have a 2007 Highlander and to be honest the sizing is perfect for us. and it looks like the Sport-BL has about the same dimensions but all that bad-a$$ off-roading capability where I can't always get to places I want with the Highlander. If they give a SKY top I might be convinced to switch.

As it is... I just sent my wife a link to the Sport-BL to start the long game for next year as her Fusion Lease comes due as the Sport-BL becomes available.

But, why Sync 3.. lame. Don't step back on a new release you plan to showcase everywhere.

bdg149

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021.5 VW Atlas, 1990 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
No. But with that said, I still like the Bronco Sport. Good reviews help Ford and the Bronco brand, so it's a win-win. Pretty hilarious that the Bronco Sport is even way more capable than the new Blazer crossover

Tangent27

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Passat 2013 Road King 1987 BMW e30
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

No and for me it’s a lot of nostalgia for the EB. I remember watching The Eiger Sanction and loving the bronco then and there. By the time I was old enough to have one they were mostly rusty skeletons of their former selves.

so all in.
Sponsored