Sponsored

2nd Thoughts about the Bronco Sport? - Will You Consider Switching from the Bronco?

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I don't see what's the issue about length, unless is impacting interior space, which it isn't if you compare the numbers. Sport arguably has more interior space.

$38k for the Sport Badlands+Badlands, vs $48k for the Bronco Badlands loaded. so... sure, you can get a relatively base Bronco for the price of the loaded Sport Badlands, but, it's what do you need?
I don’t care about interior space, its all about legroom. Rear seat legroom is 36.9”. The second row in the escape has 40.7”. Thats a big difference, especially if you have car seats or are 6” or taller. Since this vehicle is based off of the escape, I don’t understand why you would take away one of its best selling points, which is rear seat legroom. FYI the real bronco only has 36.3” of rear legroom so it’s smaller than both the escape and sport. If I buy a real bronco the family will just have to just be cramped lol, but I’m not willing to make that same compromise on a lesser vehicle.

$38k is expensive for any subcompact vehicle. The black diamond bronco comes pretty well equipped standard and is $38k for the four door, and slightly more gets you into an outer banks or a base/big bend with Sasquatch.
Sponsored

Slickrock

Wildtrak
First Name
Slick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline 06
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You wouldn't be sitting in LA traffic if you could drive over the Prius in front of you! ???
The Priuses (Prii?) aren't the problem.. but all the Telsa's are too big to drive over... :D

Slickrock

Wildtrak
First Name
Slick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline 06
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
$38k is expensive for any subcompact vehicle. The black diamond bronco comes pretty well equipped standard and is $38k for the four door, and slightly more gets you into an outer banks or a base/big bend with Sasquatch.
It's priced the same as Cherokee Trailhawk.. maybe that's why Jeep is giving bonus cash right now... :D

I get it with the Bronco... and like I said elsewhere, if I lived in NM right now, and not in SoCal, I'd be all over the big Bronco.. but.. I don't need to buy the bigger truck to impress people at the mall... :D

Of course, still want to sit in both of them before I make a final decision.

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just read this thread and the following sums up most of this topic:

"When you look at them on paper, the basic story is pretty clear. The Bronco Sport tops out right about where the basic Bronco checks in, offering 8.8 inches of ground clearance and reasonable approach/departure angles, but as you work your way up to a Bronco Badlands, especially one with the optional Sasquatch package (which adds 35” tires), there’s really no contest. With more than 11 inches of ground clearance, quite a bit more suspension travel and an additional foot of water fording depth, the Bronco is always going to come out on top."

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/08/18/2021-ford-bronco-first-ride/

BHShaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Once dealerships are fully open, I can envision many folks walking in to check out the Bronco and driving away in a Sport.
Yea. Top Off is a lifestyle. People will walk in with dreams and then go to the Sport as practicality sets in. Otherwise, why would there be TrailHawks. Same will go for the Bronco Sport.

Bronco Sport will also come from other buyers.
Fusion is being discontinued and MachE is way more expensive.
Edge is blah. Explorer is too bloated. Bronco Sport is coming into that mix.
Then I gently nudge her to Badlands package for me. and POOF. Sport in the garage.,

Last edited:

Sponsored

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So.. you've already sat in the back seat?
I've tried to stuff my kids into the back of an MKC/Corsair (Bronco Sport is based on the same platform, but is shorter and has a shorter wheelbase). No one fits behind the driver's seat when I set it where I need it.

And $38k loaded is the same as $48k loaded? Are you a government accountant? :ROFLMAO:
Bronco Sport with the "necessary" equipment is the same price as Bronco with the "necessary" equipment. Nobody said anything about loaded vs. loaded.

cal jammer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I thought about it but I like the looks of the big bronco much more.

But i am trying to convince my soon to be fiance to get a bronco sport.

Slickrock

Wildtrak
First Name
Slick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline 06
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Just read this thread and the following sums up most of this topic:

"When you look at them on paper, the basic story is pretty clear. The Bronco Sport tops out right about where the basic Bronco checks in, offering 8.8 inches of ground clearance and reasonable approach/departure angles, but as you work your way up to a Bronco Badlands, especially one with the optional Sasquatch package (which adds 35” tires), there’s really no contest. With more than 11 inches of ground clearance, quite a bit more suspension travel and an additional foot of water fording depth, the Bronco is always going to come out on top."

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/08/18/2021-ford-bronco-first-ride/
The thing that irks me about that is the "no contest".. what contest? Rock crawling, mall crawling? snow crawling? Hurr durr crawling?

Buying a rock crawler as a city driver is a silly as taking a Prius for rock crawling.. :D

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The thing that irks me about that is the "no contest".. what contest? Rock crawling, mall crawling? snow crawling? Hurr durr crawling?

Buying a rock crawler as a city driver is a silly as taking a Prius for rock crawling.. :D
Don't think anyone planning to shell out 40-60k on a Bronco was considering it for city driving primarily.

Wyo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sas Badlands, 1968 Bronco, 2018 Expy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not so much switching but based on what I saw it do in Moab and all the reviews after, I finalized my order for a Badlands Sport yesterday. That will be my daily driver and get me where I need to go in style, comfort and with very good mileage. However, I also have a Badlands Bronco reserved and will likely still get one of each (unless the Sport arrives beforehand and I see that in reality that it is all I need for now and see what Bronco versions come out in the next couple years). I like the look of the Sport and what people aren't commenting on much is it's not as wide or long as the 2dr Bronco and I actually like that on the trail (especially since the room inside is similar or in some instances more than the 2dr and even 4dr). I think it will surprise a lot of people off-road and show up in places people wouldn't expect to see one. And for some the 15K difference between a reasonable loaded Badlands Sport and Badlands Bronco are huge!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Slickrock

Wildtrak
First Name
Slick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline 06
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yea. Top Off is a lifestyle. People will walk in with dreams and then go to the Sport as practicality sets in. Otherwise, why would there be TrailHawks. Same will go for the Bronco Sport.
This makes a lot of sense.. The Bronco Sport BL+BL is effectively Ford's Trailhawk. 4x4 capability on something that's more of a daily driver.

The full size rock crawler lifestyle is great if you're in a place where the vehicle can suit your driving.

Stroopaloop

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GMC canyon all terrain
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Need top off doors off. That would be like trading a Wrangler for a compass. Big fat nope.

Slickrock

Wildtrak
First Name
Slick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline 06
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Don't think anyone planning to shell out 40-60k on a Bronco was considering it for city driving primarily.
But the "Why would Ford even make the Sport" comments.. :ROFLMAO:

I totally get the desire for and value of the full size.. but there's a lot of hurr durr dismissal of the Sport by people that apparently live .5 miles from Moab.. :D

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Leading up to the reveal, I was not really following the Sport too closely, but thought it might end up suiting my household's needs better, though not appearing as cool as the Bronco.

Functionally, it mostly needs to serve as a replacement for a Mini Countryman All4 S. The Mini delivers all wheel drive for winter traction, and a Turbo that makes it not slow, and fun to drive, wrapped up in a distinct (non boring) looking body.

We were hoping to add a little more ground clearance, since we are moving a little further north, and more rural, meaning more snow, and potentially less frequent plowing. The Sport would be an upgrade over the Mini there, so I think it would work.

The other thing we were hoping to add was 3,500 lb towing, which was available on the Escape. The Sport fails here, and would not be a good option for towing our trailer. Maybe not a 100% deal breaker, because my Sierra works great for towing, but the double cab is limited in rear seat space. It works for our dogs fine, but not as well if we need to take a passenger for a long drive on a camping trip. In two years, that issue has only come up once though, and we made it work.

Anyway, to consider the Sport, we would want the larger engine, which locks you into a Badlands, which pushes the Sport price into Bronco territory. When you add the less compelling styling, the Sport starts to get less desirable for us.

I don't think I'd take the Sport on "trails" (rutted and rocky roads) I could not do in my stock Sierra 4x4, so it does not add much there. With the Bronco, I would be compelled to do some actual off roading with it.

So, in summary, the Sport is not a definitely no, but it is a probably not.

The biggest concern with the Bronco is price. So, we may have to compromise somewhere. Time will tell which direction we go. There is lot of time before the Bronco is available, and I'm expecting the Mini and the Sierra will continue to get us where we need to go until then.

Last edited:

comfour

Big Bend
First Name
cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm not a hard core off road enthusiast so the sport has everything i'm looking for except removable roof, I have a Jeep wrangler now, I would not trade in a removable roof for a fixed one, I am mostly trading in the SFA for an IFS
Sponsored