Sponsored

2Q's : Aftermarket spacing bracket for roof rails? AND Aftermarket soft half-top?

Bill 3

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Cmax
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've got the Black Diamond 4-door with MIC and roof rails.

I finally gave up and took the roof rails off for the duration, since removing the front panels of the hardtop was a major PITA - just not quite enough clearance to get the brackets between the rail and the frame of the car easily, and I'm not gonna be carrying my kayak around till the water warms up in the spring. When I put it back on, I'm going to TRY and put a gasket/spacer on underneath the front bracket. I think even ¼" will make all the difference in getting the panels out between the rails and the frame.

My second question is: Anyone have recommendations for a soft top option for only the front half of the car? I don't plan to take off the full roof often, if at all, but would love to be able to just flip back a half-soft-top on a nice sunny day (we do get those in the winter here in NC).
Sponsored

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've got the Black Diamond 4-door with MIC and roof rails.

I finally gave up and took the roof rails off for the duration, since removing the front panels of the hardtop was a major PITA - just not quite enough clearance to get the brackets between the rail and the frame of the car easily, and I'm not gonna be carrying my kayak around till the water warms up in the spring. When I put it back on, I'm going to TRY and put a gasket/spacer on underneath the front bracket. I think even ¼" will make all the difference in getting the panels out between the rails and the frame.

My second question is: Anyone have recommendations for a soft top option for only the front half of the car? I don't plan to take off the full roof often, if at all, but would love to be able to just flip back a half-soft-top on a nice sunny day (we do get those in the winter here in NC).
Panels are easy to remove. They are a little tricky but once you get the hang of it they remove easy. There is a video on YouTube about removing roof panels with roof rails. Once you unlock them and move it a little you reengage the front outside lock and they slid right out.

While removing slide, the front outside leading edge a little towards the rear and reengage front lock. ;)

OP
OP
Bill 3

Bill 3

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Cmax
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've taken them off 4 times, and every time the retaining pin gets hooked up on the bracket. Even the folks at the dealership have said "it shouldn't be like that" wonder if I got one with a clearance problem...

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I plan to take the rack off the day that I bring the Bronco home from the dealer - which should be less than a month off now, since the build started Dec 10. I'll put the rack back on when I plan to use it.

I don't know if I'll regularly remove the roof panels or not, since I have a convertible Mustang for when I want to drive around in the open air.
Sponsored