Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Okay, I'm going to play devil's advocate here:

1. Yes it's a typical clickbait article, but look how good it worked. Instead of being ignored, it's now posted on B6G for all to see, with pages of comments about it!

2. He's right about the electronics and water. We've already discussed that here several times.

3. Doors off sometimes will be fun, but let's face, most won't do it very often, so it is a bit gimmicky.

4. He's absolutely right that no one, not even your family and friends, wants to watch more than 30 seconds of your "home movies".

5. He said this stuff gimmicky, but nowhere did he say you shouldn't buy a Bronco because of it. In fact, he says "There are plenty of interesting and downright cool features on the 2021 Ford Bronco and we're looking forward to checking them all out as much as you are."

I've never used the word "snowflake" before, but I'm starting to think this reaction from B6G is what that word is all about.
You work for Edmunds don’t you?
Sponsored

mattrb87

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Prius
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Does Edmunds also not like Rolls Royce then? You so much as sneeze or fart on those “baby seal plush carpets” and might as well re-do that shit.

Darforce

Black Diamond
First Name
Darlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru crosstrek/ Mazda miata
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Gimmick #1: Drain Holes in the Floor
The idea of putting drain plugs in the interior to facilitate easy cleanup isn't a new one. But in this day and age, when about 80% (or more) of a vehicle's interior controls are electrical in nature, it's probably not the best idea to turn a hose on inside your Bronco — even if you do point it at the floor. Ford touts this feature as something that makes it "simple, fast and painless" to clean up after an adventure, but we think everyone's better off with some decent all-weather floor mats (which you can take out and hose off in your driveway), a damp sponge and a towel to dry everything off. We've been in some pretty muddy and sloppy conditions over the years, but never once have we needed to douse our interior with water to the point where drain holes would actually help.

Gimmick #2: Removable Doors, You Rebel
We get it, kinda. Taking your doors off feels a bit rebellious and makes for an invigorating driving experience. But unless you're doing some serious low-speed rock crawling where you'd actually benefit from the added visibility, taking the doors off of your car "᠎'cause it's cool" is dumb.

Gimmick #3: GoPro Mounts
Making your friends watch your unedited 2.5-hour trail adventure is the new '70s-era slideshow-at-a-house-party nightmare. Of course, Ford isn't the first manufacturer to offer a special GoPro (or other equally high-quality video capture system) mount in a vehicle — Toyota's Tacoma immediately springs to mind. The Bronco uses a dash-mounted rail that allows for easy camera (as well as phone-mount) positioning, but if you're going to mount a GoPro to capture your rugged radness, you're better off mounting it on the outside. That means you'll get a better field of vision and also ensures that your camera can focus on the environment instead of a dirty windshield. A dedicated camera mount is really an answer to a question no one's asked.

Thanks to all who chimed in about this clickbait article - link is below but the essence of the article is now pasted above
https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/th...nco-features-are-pointless-and-heres-why.html

I think these guys are missing the point of this vehicle...
Btw... what happened to that GoPro/picatinny rail? I haven’t seen hide nor hair of it since launch and I want one

Darforce

Black Diamond
First Name
Darlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Gimmick #1: Drain Holes in the Floor
The idea of putting drain plugs in the interior to facilitate easy cleanup isn't a new one. But in this day and age, when about 80% (or more) of a vehicle's interior controls are electrical in nature, it's probably not the best idea to turn a hose on inside your Bronco — even if you do point it at the floor. Ford touts this feature as something that makes it "simple, fast and painless" to clean up after an adventure, but we think everyone's better off with some decent all-weather floor mats (which you can take out and hose off in your driveway), a damp sponge and a towel to dry everything off. We've been in some pretty muddy and sloppy conditions over the years, but never once have we needed to douse our interior with water to the point where drain holes would actually help.

Gimmick #2: Removable Doors, You Rebel
We get it, kinda. Taking your doors off feels a bit rebellious and makes for an invigorating driving experience. But unless you're doing some serious low-speed rock crawling where you'd actually benefit from the added visibility, taking the doors off of your car "᠎'cause it's cool" is dumb.

Gimmick #3: GoPro Mounts
Making your friends watch your unedited 2.5-hour trail adventure is the new '70s-era slideshow-at-a-house-party nightmare. Of course, Ford isn't the first manufacturer to offer a special GoPro (or other equally high-quality video capture system) mount in a vehicle — Toyota's Tacoma immediately springs to mind. The Bronco uses a dash-mounted rail that allows for easy camera (as well as phone-mount) positioning, but if you're going to mount a GoPro to capture your rugged radness, you're better off mounting it on the outside. That means you'll get a better field of vision and also ensures that your camera can focus on the environment instead of a dirty windshield. A dedicated camera mount is really an answer to a question no one's asked.
Disagree on the floor mats. They haven’t made an by all Weat
“Buyers excited about the gimmicky door removal should know that stuff can blow out of convertibles, and your hair might get messed up, and you may be exposed to sunlight.”

#dicksplaining
so you take the doors off and let the junk fly out THEN hose it down. That’s easy clean up!

Darforce

Black Diamond
First Name
Darlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Bronco hating is about to accelerate like throwing gas in the woods in the middle of a forest fire; buckle up and get ready.

For the most part, my reaction is; whatever!

Edmunds, Top Gear, Motor Trendy, who cares. They want to bring Bronco down a notch and I'm sure some of this "journalism" is funded by Jeep. (Conspiracy!) Ohh the scandal.

There's a lot of money about to be raked in by Ford and everyone is upset because they've allowed stupid execs to shit can all their good off road ideas (Nissan's new Pathfinder: Ha ha! 😆)

Toyota killing the Land Cruiser at the absolute worst possible time; idiots. So now the Grand Waggoner will fill this whole even though it won't be near as capable.

GM and that horrible Blazer; should fire the entire lot of them.

Anyway, the haters list will grow long, far, and wide. None of this will affect the rabid amongst us, but we will have to tolerate smack talk, but Seems the Bronco6G crew is up for any of that.
Hey now.... let’s not leave out the defender. Worst mistake of all of them IMO

Sponsored

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

"Wow, that article was a waste of my time! Now I must waste everyone else's time." — OP, probably

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

1. I may not take a hose to my Black Diamond but, I if I go threw a river bed and get several inches of water inside its nice knowing it will drain while I keep adventuring.
I guess the guy from Edmunds also didn't watch the Top Gear special when they had to use hunting rifles to shoot holes in the floors of their cars to drain out the water after fording a river.😁😁

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Okay, I'm going to play devil's advocate here:

1. Yes it's a typical clickbait article, but look how good it worked. Instead of being ignored, it's now posted on B6G for all to see, with pages of comments about it!

2. He's right about the electronics and water. We've already discussed that here several times.

3. Doors off sometimes will be fun, but let's face, most won't do it very often, so it is a bit gimmicky.

4. He's absolutely right that no one, not even your family and friends, wants to watch more than 30 seconds of your "home movies".

5. He said this stuff gimmicky, but nowhere did he say you shouldn't buy a Bronco because of it. In fact, he says "There are plenty of interesting and downright cool features on the 2021 Ford Bronco and we're looking forward to checking them all out as much as you are."

I've never used the word "snowflake" before, but I'm starting to think this reaction from B6G is what that word is all about.
Ford Bronco 3 “gimmicky” things Edmunds doesn’t like about the Bronco FAEA34C3-3747-49CD-8A75-FE62906D8A89

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Mud may be temporary, but dust and sand are more permanent than most marriages. As a desert dweller, I despise vehicle carpet, even in pavement princesses

bdub2you

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I do think the removable doors is a little gimmicky, but lots of people love it so forget them. The wash out holes and the go pro/dash cam mounting bar on the dash is a fantastic idea that I suspect we'll see in many many more vehicles in the future. Dash cams are becoming more and more common (I have them in all my vehicles). Being able to plug it into a USB port right there on the dash is a fantastic idea.

Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey now.... let’s not leave out the defender. Worst mistake of all of them IMO
Nah, I won't add the Defender to that list. At least Land Rover released it and it is highly capable.

Problem is that the Defender is aimed at pretenders and not the hard core market with a go anywhere and do anything stance.

However, the truth is that most older Defenders are driven on pavement by men with money who just think they look cool attempting to look rugged although they're as soft as sponge cake.

With this in mind, and Land Rover knowing the income of the average Defender owner being well over $120K or 100 Euro, they designed a rich guy vehicle and it's selling pretty well although for that price point I'd get a Range Rover Sport since a well appointed Defender costs upward of $70K and even closer to $85K which is just crazy. 20 inch wheels on a Defender..... what a damn joke.

That said, it is still capable in base trim with 17 inch steelies and off road spec tires.

The new Pathfinder couldn't ford a puddle or barely clear a speed bump in a suburban neighborhood.

BigSteveO

Badlands
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

His name was Otto Pilot and he was a hell of an inflatable man!
And a happy inflatable man, that's right Otto Pilot. They just don't make movies like that anymore🤪
Btw... what happened to that GoPro/picatinny rail? I haven’t seen hide nor hair of it since launch and I want one
Ford decided it's to gimmicky 😁

Last edited:

PaBronco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2022 F-150 Lightning Pro
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I use my floor drains in the winter. Have mud mats, and boot snow melts. Nice to be able to pull a plug to drain the mats in the winter.

BroncoTodd

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model X 100D
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This came out (I believe during Moab) that will will be offered by 4WP at a later date and not by Ford. But I'm sure there will be a million variations to buy in the near future.

mtheawesomeone

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This could have been covered earlier but the best part about plugs I found from owning a jeep was if you got caught in the rain you had the ability to drain the floors mostly without having to use towels to soak it all up and squeeze out towels over and over. I don't plan on needing them often but when you do it's great.
Sponsored