First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250,early broncos,samurai,explorer st
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Been lurking for a while but thought I should share this. I got tired of waiting and bought my wife a new Ford Explorer ST. I own two early broncos and definitely love my V8’s but that 3.0 in the Explorer is crazy! I think it would be plenty for the new broncos. Way more power than I expected. We will just wait a while and give them time to get the bugs out and come off of retail pricing.
Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Imma keep it real, my 4-door Jeep has the 205 HP 3.8l. It’s on 33’s with the 3.21 gear ratio (manual trans) and it is perfectly adequate. The 2.7 or 3.0 Ecoboost will be faster than I could ever realistically need and will likely get me in trouble lmao.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Been lurking for a while but thought I should share this. I got tired of waiting and bought my wife a new Ford Explorer ST. I own two early broncos and definitely love my V8’s but that 3.0 in the Explorer is crazy! I think it would be plenty for the new broncos. Way more power than I expected. We will just wait a while and give them time to get the bugs out and come off of retail pricing.
current Wrangler with the right package hits about 0-60 in about 6s

explorer 2.3 hits about 6s
Explorer 3.0 hits about 5s

bronco likely will be faster if it has a street rear end. Throw on the low 3.7-4.0:1 rear and it will take a hit. But you could be talking about high 4s possibly on the 2 door. TROUBLE for sure

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Does anybody have any insight on the actual differences between the 2.7 and 3.0?
Im thinking of future engine work once it wears out a bit. Will there be 3.0 interchange parts that can improve the 2.7 that will be available in junk yards eventually? Im not expecting old school windsor like interchange, that had a similar block design for over 35 years. But it would be cool if heads, injectors, turbos, or cams were swapable even with machine shop help.

OP
OP

Rsimon

First Edition
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250,early broncos,samurai,explorer st
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

bronco likely will be faster if it has a street rear end. Throw on the low 3.7-4.0:1 rear and it will take a hit. But you could be talking about high 4s possibly on the 2 door. TROUBLE for sure

I believe the Explorer has a 3.58:1 rear end. All I can say is my truck has the 6.2L with 4.30:1 gears it feels like a plug after driving the Explorer.

Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Does anybody have any insight on the actual differences between the 2.7 and 3.0?
Im thinking of future engine work once it wears out a bit. Will there be 3.0 interchange parts that can improve the 2.7 that will be available in junk yards eventually? Im not expecting old school windsor like interchange, that had a similar block design for over 35 years. But it would be cool if heads, injectors, turbos, or cams were swapable even with machine shop help.
there are 2 different 3.0 aluminum and iron. BOTH are just bored AND stroked versions of the 2.7. But same basic block.

Iron block - Continental and MKZ 400hp and 400lbft

Aluminum block Explorer And aviator
365/380 or 400/415.

then the 3.0 power stroke is basically the 3.0 iron block but made for diesel.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
there are 2 different 3.0 aluminum and iron. BOTH are just bored AND stroked versions of the 2.7. But same basic block.

Iron block - Continental and MKZ 400hp and 400lbft

Aluminum block Explorer And aviator
365/380 or 400/415.

then the 3.0 power stroke is basically the 3.0 iron block but made for diesel.
Zero idea if it's true, but someone on Facebook for the Bronco 2021 group was talking about having an "Inside source" with the cad drawings. He said that the 2.7 will be an option, and the 3.0 will be the bronco raptor engine

He also said Coyote will not happen because it doesn't fit between the frame rails and would require modification of both the frame and suspension components.

Grain of salt etc. but very interesting.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well thats all interesting. Maybe in the future we can use the potentially diesel block or part of its 2 piece for a strengthened stroker with larger turbos. Could be wild. If there is that much common architecture im sure machinists will be more then happy to play around with all the junkyard f150s and such. Budget HP builds are always inspiring.

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The 3.0 Powerstroke and 2.7/3.0 Ecoboost are not related at all. The Lion diesel was co-developed with PSA Peugeot in Europe and has been in production in Europe since 2009.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well thats all interesting. Maybe in the future we can use the potentially diesel block or part of its 2 piece for a strengthened stroker with larger turbos. Could be wild. If there is that much common architecture im sure machinists will be more then happy to play around with all the junkyard f150s and such. Budget HP builds are always inspiring.
It’s pretty hard for me to imagine a bigger waste of money than buying a 3.0 powerstroke engine in any vehicle. Hence why they barely sell any of them.

Last edited:

Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
It’s pretty hard for me to imagine a bigger waste of money than buying a 3.0 powerstroke engine in any vehicle. Hence why they barley sell any of them.
agreed. There is absolutely no point of small diesels in America other than bragging about driving a diesel... then you look like a tool as you make commercial trucks wait for the diesel pump as you fill up your Vw...... oh wait.

but anyway. The minimal torque and mpg gain vs a turbo gas engine isn’t worth the headache of maintenance and fuel costs.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Oh scratch that someone said the block was the same, which in my head was, beefy mains form a gasser build. I dont know just dreaming here, before i was into offroading i was into hotrodding. And hotrodding at its core is making things work together to go as fast as you can cheap with what you can find laying around.

But 3.0 and 2.7 gassers parts interchange sounds promissing.

teejayhoward

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BRZ
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Zero idea if it's true, but someone on Facebook for the Bronco 2021 group was talking about having an "Inside source" with the cad drawings. He said that the 2.7 will be an option, and the 3.0 will be the bronco raptor engine

He also said Coyote will not happen because it doesn't fit between the frame rails and would require modification of both the frame and suspension components.

Grain of salt etc. but very interesting.
It's not true.

If a DOHC V6 fits between the frame rails, it's wide enough for a V8. If an inline 4 fits, it's long enough for a V8. We know there's a turbo-four option, so if there's a V6 option then the Coyote will fit. If the Coyote won't fit due to frame rail issues, then there won't be a V6 option.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's not true.

If a DOHC V6 fits between the frame rails, it's wide enough for a V8. If an inline 4 fits, it's long enough for a V8. We know there's a turbo-four option, so if there's a V6 option then the Coyote will fit. If the Coyote won't fit due to frame rail issues, then there won't be a V6 option.
hell, if I can fit a 460 into an 80s ranger (with the headers outside the frame rails) or a 460 into an 82 bronco with the headers inside the frame rails, you can get the coyote to fit, just require moving some other under the hood stuff, but there is a way.

as for suspension, that swap would likely also include an SFA swap, which removes all the suspension issues

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

It's not true.

The 2.7 ecoboost is a 60* V, the Coyote is 90*. The Coyote is wider just considering that. The coyote wouldn't fit due to shock tower restrictions more likely than frame restrictions.
Sponsored