RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Definitely couldn't be caused by increases in travel (hitting records for airline travel since the pandemic began, for example) and OPEC production cuts or anything. :rolleyes:
Great theory, aside from the fact that gas prices were cheaper before the pandemic than they are now.

Presidents have limited effects on fuel prices.
Except for maybe those presidents who have effectively declared war on fossil fuel production and use?
Sponsored

Bronconheimer

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2500 HD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I cant wait for the EPA because nobody knows when the hell that is happening. My car either will be built this year or delayed to 22

I have a gun to my head right now because of this "shop talk"

12mpg should only be possible off road up hill for a car that ford has built from the ground up
Drama-queen much?

DryYourTears

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Defender, 51 Ford F1, motorcycles
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wait ? Does this mean I can’t drive like an idiot ?
This is America. You drive how you like. I'll not be responsible for tickets accrued or low mpg, though. ;)

Dannyboy71

Badlands
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Titan pro4x
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Top three reasons I'm not getting a Bronco now:

• No cupholders in the back
  • Only 12mpg
  • I'll think of a third reason, dammit.
But seriously the only reason I'm not getting one now is that they haven't made it yet. :p

Dannyboy71

Badlands
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Titan pro4x
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Top three reasons I'm not getting a Bronco now:

• No cupholders in the back
  • Only 12mpg
  • I'll think of a third reason, dammit.
But seriously the only reason I'm not getting one now is that they haven't made it yet. :p
3rd reason is they don’t have the right color for your personal taste😆😆

Sponsored

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It will be higher than 12 mpg. How do I know? My '75 sitting in the garage with similar but worse aerodynamics, no overdrive, and an old school flat tappet 302 gets 12 mpg on the highway. In town is around 10-11. Not much difference because of the high rpm on the highway. The new Bronco will get better than that. Probably much better.

Bronco Pilot

First Edition
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 BMW M3, 2018 F150, 2018 EA330SC
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I feel like we haven't discussed the gas mileage enough yet. I think it's important to remember we are intentionally buying a brick on 35 inch Mud Terrain tires with 4.7 gears. Which is awesome.

I would just remind everyone that there are smaller wheel, tire, and gear combinations that will probably have significantly better gas mileage while still offering excellent offroad performance.

You can do a lot with small tires and lockers......

Dimitar

Badlands
First Name
Dimitar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There’s no way mpg is 12. That’s raptor territory, which is heavier and has a bigger engine.

Sponsored

Ohnoohnoooo

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW z3, Nisan rogue, joint-custody of Jeep YJ
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So it’s not yet size of the ship, it’s the motion of the ocean?

haha, that’s what HE said.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
There’s no way mpg is 12. That’s raptor territory, which is heavier and has a bigger engine.
I was watching the video showing how the instrument panel works. It showed a little over 1/4 fuel remaining and 129 miles to empty. Being really conservative would still be at least 18 MPG.

Cousin Eddie

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was watching the video showing how the instrument panel works. It showed a little over 1/4 fuel remaining and 129 miles to empty. Being really conservative would still be at least 18 MPG.
In that video, it showed 19mpg at one point.

sergk

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I feel like we haven't discussed the gas mileage enough yet. I think it's important to remember we are intentionally buying a brick on 35 inch Mud Terrain tires with 4.7 gears. Which is awesome.

I would just remind everyone that there are smaller wheel, tire, and gear combinations that will probably have significantly better gas mileage while still offering excellent offroad performance.

You're right to call it gas mileage instead of fuel economy. The word "economy" is misleading. Its about range, not cost.

Getting (hypothetically) 24 mpg instead of 12 is twice the range you one cover between gas stations. Its like having 40 gallons tank instead of 20 but without the extra weight and wasted space. MPG is important.

87Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Brenda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Expedition EL Limited
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Update 1:45 PM: First off.. thank you for all the positive feedback guys. I wasn't sure if I was going to share my thoughts but I am glad I did. Secondly, I apologize for posting this and then leaving my desk for a few hours to visit my construction sites. Seems things got awfully spicy in here during my absense :oops:

Clarification on the MPG Debacle:

The 12 MPG comment was more of a "What is the absolute worst you could see it getting?" comment. It was his response to my relief to hear he was getting high teen mileage combined. I stated I was scared it would be more like 12 with the 35" tires but had no idea what to expect.

"Well you could probably get 12 if you drive around town like an idiot"

His assurance was that MPG wasn't a huge deal like some were making it out to be. Sorry for the confusion. Keep in mind while he has driven the sasquatch on the highway and through town, he hadn't simply measured JUST around town driving.. he was making an assumption.. not stating FACTS.

Last word of advice: Take everything with a grain of salt. The guy was simply trying his best to answer my questions as best he could. He could barely say two words with the questions I was asking him but he did his best to help us out.

Original Post

On Saturday the GF and I arrived at Varsity Ford in Ann Arbor Michigan around 11:45 PM. Our appointment was for the noon timeslot so we were a little early. I was disappointed to find that the Bronco on display was the Rapid Red Outerbanks we have been seeing on the forums. I was really hoping for the Black Diamond so I could see the sasquatch and MGV or at least the First Edition to see the Cactus Grey color on the Bronco. Regardless... beggars can't be choosers.

The event started by them gathering us all into a group and they then gave a slight introduction about the Bronco and rattled off some generic statistics/features of the ride. I drowned all this out as it was nothing a common fan wouldn't already know.

First Impressions: While I was excited to see the Bronco in person I will admit I was rather surprised at how my adrenaline didn't spike. I think it mostly has to do with having seen this vehicle in countless videos/photos over the years that I pretty much know it like the back of my hand. Rapid Red is a great color. I'm not convinced I'd pay extra for it but it looks great with the black accents. If I wasn't so in love with Area 51 I'd probably consider it.

There was probably 20-30 people there at the time. I literally stationed myself by the driver's door so when they stopped talking I could jump right in. Mission accomplished. Apologies that I couldn't get photos a bit further away to get a better image of my legs. I literally had the phone up on my nose trying to get as much as I could. Maybe in a few weeks I'll have more time and have my GF take a photo from the second row looking down. (More on this later). Anyways, I think space/legroom in the front is perfectly acceptable. I didn't feel like I had to lean my legs up on the center console or never felt cramped. Sitting in the driver's seat was fun. As I stated earlier... my juices weren't really flowing upon arrival but once I sat down in the drivers seat... six to midnight. Even the Outerbanks with the smaller tires had a great ride height and the feel/view of the cabin is a delight. It felt like it would be a very fun vehicle to drive.

The overall quality of the vehicle seemed nice. I touched a lot of the materials and was satisfied. The front seats were comfy, the armrest and center console were well placed and padded that I felt I had a few comfortable driving positions. Nothing is worse than a car where you have to hold your arms up the entire time. The Bronco did not have that at all. I sat in the backseats for a bit and had a another gentlemen extend the front seat all the way back as a means to crush me in the back. He was laughing and said "I'd never need this much room up here" but regardless I wanted to see. My legs needed to point out a bit kind of like on an airplane but wasn't horrible. For a short trip 30 mins - 1 hour it is manageable. Anything longer than that would likely be miserable. Keep in mind I had the front seat as far back as it would go. Another item I made sure I checked out was the tailgate. After having owned a jeep I wanted to see how it was opening and closing it. The tailgate hinge and the way the cylinder locked it into place was a nice feature. I opened and closed it multiple times... it works well.

The Ford reps that were there weren't "Bronco Nation" reps but there were familiar with the forums (Both this one and TheBroncoNation). I vetted them and asked them what they liked and didn't like. I eventually found one guy who knew more than the others... obviously I needed to hit this guy with the kitchen sink at this point... :LOL:

Question 1: "I am thinking of going Sasquatch on my Badlands but my concern is ride quality and MPG"

Answer: I love the sasquatch package. I wouldn't think twice about it. It vibrates a bit when you get to high speeds because of the tires but there is absolutely no wandering on the highway like there is with a Jeep. You aren't fighting it. I would put it inline between driving an F150 and an explorer on the highway. Also, as far as MPG goes I had about 16-17 recently but that was with highway driving as well. If you just did around town I wouldn't be surprised if it's around 12.

Question 2: What model is your favorite and what are you going with?

Answer: Oh, I'm waiting for Ford to come out with a few more engine options...

Question 2A: Oh so you're talking about the Warthog? I know you cant talk about that but a little birdie told me we could see it coming next year... if so dont move a muscle and don't blink.

Answer: The gentlemen was totally still and didn't blink.

Question 3: I know Ford has confirmed a green for MY22. Can you confirm if this color is currently offered on another Ford vehicle.

Answer: No the color is not currently offered on another Ford Vehicle

Question 3A/Statement 3A: I really hope Ford comes out with something along the lines of an army green.

Answer: The guy smiled but he wouldn't allude to anything else.

Question 4: If the Heritage Edition is very similar to the Cactus Grey build we saw during premier night then don't move a muscle.

Answer: The guy didn't move.

Question 5: If you could pick between the Raptor R or the "Warthog" which would you choose?

Answer: I'd hypothetically pick the Raptor varient of the Bronco... if there were such a thing ;)

Additional Thoughts:

- Assuming the information above is correct, we can cross Guard Green off the list of possible green colors for the Bronco. "Greaaaattt succcessss" - Borat Voice
- There was a Cactus Grey Bronco Sport. It is a nice color and definitely different in person.
- The soft top material seemed nice. They had it open the entire time and a door and the windows stored in the back.
- The build quality of the vehicle felt solid. Opening and closing the doors felt sturdy. I never felt like anything was loose and the door just felt like it would hold. I can't say the same about the wrangler doors. People who are expecting a Rolls Royce interior will be disappointed. This thing was built with a purpose to take a beating and last. In my opinion Ford has delivered on that end in spades..
- I asked if there was any additional insulation between the rubber flooring and the body. The crew there wasn't sure but they emailed their engineers the question and took down my email address. If I get a response I will let you guys know.
- It hasn't been made public yet but the crew is making their way to Cleveland and Buffalo in the coming weeks. I got one of the gentlemen's numbers and he told me to text him in early April. At this point he should have the dates pinned down. He said it would be the First Edition Cactus Grey at those dealerships. I live in Cleveland so I plan on seeing them again. This time I'll at least get to see a Sasquatch. I'll also try and grab a better photo of my legs in the front seat. This time I'll have the GF take the photo looking down from the backseat.
- When I told the gentlemen my build and that I had my order in two hours after the premier he said I'd be looking at late Summer (August) due to sasquatch. Oof... I was really hoping that since I was somewhat early I'd maybe still get it in July but who knows...
- The crew was kind enough to turn on the vehicle and crank the sound system for me. It was maybe 25% but it sounded pretty good. At the next event I'm going to ask to pick a song and really see how much I can make the sub bump. Their personal impressions were that the B&O sounded much better than stock... take that with a grain of salt obviously because they work for Ford.
- I'm not sure what my GF would've said if we saw a standard 33" Badland's in person but the second we walked up onto the Outerbanks she said " I want the bigger tires" Which actually surprised me because she was the one pushing the smaller wheels the entire time. Good news for her was I had actually changed the build a week ago to sasquatch and was just going to have her show up at the dealership and be surprised lol.
- I felt the material in the wheelwells and then felt the sound insulation underneath the hood. It felt the same. Obviously the roof insulation has some padding underneath it but whatever it is on the outside that they are using for sound insulation, it was or at least felt the same as what is inside the wheelwells.

1616421689436.png

1616421716621.png

725EE494-9E80-4CC3-BD5A-D375BD5744FA.jpeg
6A4D0076-6D83-4810-A1EC-D63B408CCC85.jpeg
6C018A36-BA23-44CF-9C8E-3DFAF39893E2.jpeg
4CBC8426-58D1-416A-B3E6-C1C950036262.jpeg
Thanks for sharing all of this. Any idea when they will be in Buffalo? It is somewhat close for me?
Sponsored