Sponsored

3,600 miles - Should the front axles have this kind of rust already?

Kekov721

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

wjfawb0 [hacked account]

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You should see my skid plates on my jeep before I clean, prime and paint them every couple years. There's a huge fluid film thread on one of the wrangler boards I visit. It's good stuff. People used to put linseed oil in frames and such for similar reasons. Just don't get it on the exhaust or brakes.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The surface rust is nothing to worry about on heavy, uncoated steel parts. They are designed with a corrosion allowance and to wear out long before they rust out. That being said, you should coat them if you donā€™t like the look.

I donā€™t like the look, especially on the towing receiver and the rear axle and diff on my F150s. I usually wire brush the rusty spots after about 5 years of ownership and repaint them with Tremclad flat or semi-gloss black. That manages my OCD for a few more years before I do it again.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You should see my skid plates on my jeep before I clean, prime and paint them every couple years. There's a huge fluid film thread on one of the wrangler boards I visit. It's good stuff. People used to put linseed oil in frames and such for similar reasons. Just don't get it on the exhaust or brakes.
You mean you donā€™t lube your brake rotors? šŸ¤Ŗ

I saw a guy get WD-40 all over his rotors and pads on his motorcycle at the track one time at a track day (he was a novice) and I managed to get over to his pit with a can of brake cleaner before he went out on track for the first time. Mightā€™ve saved him a trip into the kitty litterā€¦

Sponsored

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

SasquatchBronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your mom
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
"Totally normal!"

On a practically brand new car.
Yes it is actually.
Go to your nearest Ford dealership (heck, ANY dealership) and look underneath every truck, you'll see the same surface rust in the same spot on every single driveshaft.
Some actually look like that when they are shipped to the factory before the truck is even assembled.

The Memedalorian

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No Chevys
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yes it is actually.
Go to your nearest Ford dealership (heck, ANY dealership) and look underneath every truck, you'll see the same surface rust in the same spot on every single driveshaft.
Some actually look like that when they are shipped to the factory before the truck is even assembled.
Go with me.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, late braking and all. I was just trying to be funny. I'll include an emoji next time. :LOL:
Me too! I knew you were joking - all good! šŸ˜‰

Not everybody understands the art of going fast, though. And you only need to do a ride-along with a GOOD race car driver to feel how hard and late you can brake.

Less time on the brakes = more time on the throttle. No coasting, ever. Thatā€™s really all you need to know.

Sponsored

acetdeucy

Badlands
First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Corsair Lexus RX350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know the undercarriage parts are going to rust eventually, however these are the only parts I see a significant amount of rust on and it's only been 3,600 miles. Is this normal? I've done some light off roading about 3 times otherwise it's all pavement.

Jim

PXL_20211121_143510606.jpg

PXL_20211121_143520631.jpg

PXL_20211121_143530450.jpg

PXL_20211121_143549184.jpg

PXL_20211121_143615660.jpg
Well, ya know the rusted stuff is made from high concentrations of Iron, right? The higher the iron content, the quicker those parts will rust! The parts made with blended iron +(?), will rust slower and more erratically. The SS and Alum stuff less or none... those parts will oxidize.

Looks pretty normal for a car or truck, to me!!!

skhubbard93

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Badlands, '01 Z8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Paying attention in science class has it benefits.
I vaguely remember something from science class, about if you protect some metal, other exposed metal will corrode more quickly. Don't take my word for it - I haven't cracked open a chemistry textbook in decades. But this might be a reason not to paint or coat these surfaces.

Big L 65

Outer Banks
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Trust ford on this the rust is harmless šŸ˜•

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bruh, u like, livin the #saltlife, bruh?
Sponsored