3.73, 4.27 & 4.46 ratio on-road?

NotAnonymous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
For our engineering minded folks here, and as a follow-up on this thread, assuming a 70/30 split (surface street/highway) usage ratio, a BB with stock tires and 3.73 gearing should, in general, yield better overall MPG than a BD with stock tires and gearing, correct? (Assuming all other variables are equal, of course)
Sponsored

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps and a Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
For our engineering minded folks here, and as a follow-up on this thread, assuming a 70/30 split (surface street/highway) usage ratio, a BB with stock tires and 3.73 gearing should, in general, yield better overall MPG than a BD with stock tires and gearing, correct? (Assuming all other variables are equal, of course)
It depends.

Tire size factors into the equation. Different size tires need different axle ratios to be at their optimal performance target.

Having too tall (numerically lower) gears with big tires means the engine has to work harder to get the vehicle moving. It also means that you won't spend as much time in overdrive with the torque converter locked up. When in overdrive, the engine will be operating at an RPM that's below it's optimal performance range.

For the smaller standard tires on the base model Bronco, the 3.73 gears would probably net the best overall mileage. For the bigger tires, you really do want to step up to shorter (higher number) gears to match the tire size change.

NotAnonymous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It depends.

Tire size factors into the equation. Different size tires need different axle ratios to be at their optimal performance target.

Having too tall (numerically lower) gears with big tires means the engine has to work harder to get the vehicle moving. It also means that you won't spend as much time in overdrive with the torque converter locked up. When in overdrive, the engine will be operating at an RPM that's below it's optimal performance range.

For the smaller standard tires on the base model Bronco, the 3.73 gears would probably net the best overall mileage. For the bigger tires, you really do want to step up to shorter (higher number) gears to match the tire size change.
Really appreciate those thoughts, grimm. I think I've decided to go with the BB and the 2.3/auto, so the BB tires will be bigger than the Base, so now I just need to decide whether to go with 3.73 or bump up to the optional 4.27. I'm also considering swapping the BB wheels/tires for the BD wheels/tires so 4.27 might ultimately be a better MPG/engine work levels combo than the standard 3.73 BB gearing.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps and a Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Really appreciate those thoughts, grimm. I think I've decided to go with the BB and the 2.3/auto, so the BB tires will be bigger than the Base, so now I just need to decide whether to go with 3.73 or bump up to the optional 4.27. I'm also considering swapping the BB wheels/tires for the BD wheels/tires so 4.27 might ultimately be a better MPG/engine work levels combo than the standard 3.73 BB gearing.
Yeah, if you're going to go with bigger tires, get the higher number gears. It will save you the aggravation of finding out you don't have enough gear to run the tires.

I had a 2012 Wrangler with the factory 3.21 gears and factory upgraded 255/75R17 (32") tires. I got slightly better mileage in 5th gear than I did in 6th (6 speed manual). I just gave up on 6th gear altogether because I was always downshifting any time I got near a hill or a headwind. The factory optional 3.73 gears would have been a lot better. But the smaller factory 225/75R16 tires would have been acceptable with the 3.21s.

When I put 35's on the Jeep, I swapped in 4.56 gears and wish I had gone with 4.88s. Still, the 4.56s and 35's did give me a mostly useful 6th gear.
Sponsored