Sponsored

3-Peak Mountain Snowflake vs. Mud Tires in Snow ?

jalexa27

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 impala
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have run various types of all seasons on my vehicles. The only brand that has consistently performed the best in snow are Nokians. Once the KO2's wear out, I'll be replacing them with a Nokian set for sure!
Sponsored

CT203

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What are folks' opinions on the effectiveness in DEEP SNOW between 3-peak mountain snowflake-rated A/Ts, vs. traditional Mud Terrains?

I don't know if extreme "siping" or "snow-flinging" would trump the day here, as I don't have enough experience in the snow.
I think you don’t want the snow to fling as you would mud.
I’ve heard one of the ways snow tires create traction is by holding snow in certain parts of the tread. Snow sticks to snow. It’s the tight siping of individual tread block that performs that function.
Exactly. Mud tires are made to clear the mud from the tread. That’s not optimal for snow.

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’ve heard one of the ways snow tires create traction is by holding snow in certain parts of the tread. Snow sticks to snow. It’s the tight siping of individual tread block that performs that function.
That is 100% wrong. Snow packed in a tire would actually decrease traction. Snow tire work because of the specific compound they are made of. They are designed to stay pliable and flexible in freezing conditions. This enables the tread blocks and sipes to confirm or grip to the tiny imperfections in ice and snow. On ice the tire sipes open to expel the water that is formed by the friction of the tire against the ice. That water layer is what makes ice slippery.

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I think you don’t want the snow to fling as you would mud.
Exactly. Mud tires are made to clear the mud from the tread. That’s not optimal for snow.
Snow tires clear as well. It is patently false if someone says a snow tire is designed to hold snow. That isn’t nor has it ever been a design spec of a true snow tire. The most important part of these tires is the tire compound that allows it to stay soft. The exact reason a high performance tire being sticky is good in warm weather.

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ‘1928 model A, “23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
You want tall wide tires with heavy lugs for deep snow (2+’). Them “peak” tires are for light snow (less than a foot) on the highway.

Sponsored

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I specifically wanted to know: in DEEP SNOW, is a 3-Peak better than an M/T? I don't think that anyone's been able to confidently answer that yet ;-) , though someone with some 3-Peaks will be testing them out with the next snow storm.

Love all the other comments, though!

And yes, I'm looking to go snow-wheeling in deep snow, but there will be lots of ice and slush between me and that deep, powdery stuff.
It depends upon the deep snow. The snow in the Sierras in CA is much wetter than the snow in Utah or colder areas like Montana so one tire is not going to be the best both in heavy “Sierra Cement” and the light, dry powder that typically falls in Utah. I have Falken Wildpeak AT3W’s with the 3 peaks rating and they were fantastic in the 9” snowfall we had recently. I need a full winter including running in fresh deep snow across frozen lakes to really give them a full evaluation.

Last edited:

The Beaz

First Edition
First Name
Shad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Are you talking snow wheeling? 10 years or so ago it was Goodyear MTR directional ones, Iroks and any sipped mud terrains. I was extremely impressed with my Kelly MT (upgraded kelly TSR made by goodyear on duratrac carcass). Big part of a successful snow tire is being soft and having some sipping for traction when you hit the icy stuff.

Also be careful taking advice from non-west coast people. Our snow is very different on the west side of the Sierra Nevada's. Midwest powder you can't even make a snow ball, here its a wet nasty hard hitting snowball.

1670978659466.png
Sierra Nevada's........er ummmm.... rocky mountains.......😁🤣

The Beaz

First Edition
First Name
Shad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Concern of mine too living in Wisconsin. I have 35" Nitto Terra Grappler G2's A/T's 3 peak. I'll let you know the next big snow.
My G2's on my Expedition were fantastic in the snow an ice, more gription than I ever would have thought.

NorthShoreBronco

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Badlands 2D, 22 BD 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I specifically wanted to know: in DEEP SNOW, is a 3-Peak better than an M/T? I don't think that anyone's been able to confidently answer that yet ;-) , though someone with some 3-Peaks will be testing them out with the next snow storm.

Love all the other comments, though!

And yes, I'm looking to go snow-wheeling in deep snow, but there will be lots of ice and slush between me and that deep, powdery stuff.
100% 3 peak will be better. I run MTs just because I have them year long. I also sell alot of tires (work in parts). MTs will look better, but don't try and fool yourself. Personally, I recommend Toyo AT3s.

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've run toyo open country CT and atIII on the Broncos over the last couple years up here on the west coast in the mountains. A couple big snow storms, deeep snow and both of those tires have been flawless. They are both triple peak. My latest toyo ATIII 35x12.5x17 on the badlands do great in all the snow you can throw at it and slippery icey weather. Mine you that might just be the Bronco.. lol

Sponsored

telenerd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The stock Sasquatch tires in my honest opinion perform pretty good on snow/ice here in Wyoming. The nobs have alot of sipping and the tread is somewhat soft. I can’t imagine how much more confidence I would have with proper snow tires.

My Subaru has snow tires and that car does okay in the snow. All seasons were flat out dangerous. Some people think the Subarus are amazing in the snow, but I don’t think so. They are too light, and anything deep you will get stuck because only one tire will spin.

Big proponent of snow tires. ⛄

OP
OP
WheelMe

WheelMe

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@NorthShoreBronco @SnowBronco Thanks for your takes on 3-Peak A/Ts, and specifically the Toyo Open Country AT3; I've been eyeing the Falken Wildpeak AT3W - now I have another tire to consider.

@telenerd I'm likewise a fan of the factory Territories on my BadSquatch - they're great in the dry, pouring rain, gravel/dirt/ruts, and even rocks (but my rear ones are starting to "chunk off" on the shoulders - soft rubber not meant for rock-crawling?). I'll get a chance to test them on snow/ice in a week and a half, and expect them to do well, with all the siping and close-lugged tread pattern. These are no good in mud, but I avoid mud, so no matter.

I'm also considering continuing to use the Territories for everyday/light-duty offroading (they're cheap as people keep taking them off of their brand new rigs in order to upgrade to bad-ass looking 37s), and buy another set of beadlock-tech wheels (Icon or Method) for serious rock-crawling with indestructible M/Ts.

This has been an interesting conversation, thanks all and by all means continue!

NorthShoreBronco

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Badlands 2D, 22 BD 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@NorthShoreBronco @SnowBronco Thanks for your takes on 3-Peak A/Ts, and specifically the Toyo Open Country AT3; I've been eyeing the Falken Wildpeak AT3W - now I have another tire to consider.

@telenerd I'm likewise a fan of the factory Territories on my BadSquatch - they're great in the dry, pouring rain, gravel/dirt/ruts, and even rocks (but my rear ones are starting to "chunk off" on the shoulders - soft rubber not meant for rock-crawling?). I'll get a chance to test them on snow/ice in a week and a half, and expect them to do well, with all the siping and close-lugged tread pattern. These are no good in mud, but I avoid mud, so no matter.

I'm also considering continuing to use the Territories for everyday/light-duty offroading (they're cheap as people keep taking them off of their brand new rigs in order to upgrade to bad-ass looking 37s), and buy another set of beadlock-tech wheels (Icon or Method) for serious rock-crawling with indestructible M/Ts.

This has been an interesting conversation, thanks all and by all means continue!
I also hear good things about the Falken's. I'm just a Toyo guy so...

Also, if you have the Territories.... well just keep those till you wear them out. Won't be much of a difference switching to another All Terrain from those. Your Idea for a second set of MT's I like.

I Think I might do that eventually. Get some All terrain's for Daily Driving and the winter and Keep my MT's for summer Rock crawling/mud.

OP
OP
WheelMe

WheelMe

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I also hear good things about the Falken's. I'm just a Toyo guy so...

Also, if you have the Territories.... well just keep those till you wear them out. Won't be much of a difference switching to another All Terrain from those. Your Idea for a second set of MT's I like.

I Think I might do that eventually. Get some All terrain's for Daily Driving and the winter and Keep my MT's for summer Rock crawling/mud.
Is exactly what I'm planning to do - wear out my Territories then replace with 3-Peaks (or more Territories as they're cheap). Add a second set of wheels for M/Ts (undecided as to size, as 37s are that much more taxing on the rig in all sorts of ways, plus additional suspension-related expense).
Sponsored