Sponsored

3-Peak Mountain Snowflake vs. Mud Tires in Snow ?

mtclimb3r

Badlands
First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
These are a top recommendation of hardcore snow wheelers: https://www.intercotire.com/tire/102

These guys are serious snow wheelers in winter: https://4low-bc.com/
Here's their (awesome) youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@4LowBC

Might be worth a message to them or post on ih8mud.

@Nobody Is another member that does snow wheeling. I think he has an EB as well. He stated that the stock tires are actually decent.

For what it's worth, I suspect the bronco will not do quite as well in the REALLY deep stuff relative to jeeps on large tires. Talking about snow so deep that tall+skinny tires are not an option. I am worried about the IFS relative to the snow resistance and not sure if the engine coolers are up to the task of sustained snow wheeling or not. I ordered a Bronco primarily for it's capabilities in snow. Living in Montana, the roads/trails are snowy for a huge chunk of the year. As an ice climber/skier I want to more easily get to where I need to go in deep snow compared to the Tacoma I just sold. I am waiting on a (hopefully) 2023 Wildtrack for the upgraded steering with the eventual plan of adding 37" tires with either the icon rebound or a true bead lock for running 2-5 psi without worry.
Sponsored

Last edited:

NorthShoreBronco

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Badlands 2D, 22 BD 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is exactly what I'm planning to do - wear out my Territories then replace with 3-Peaks (or more Territories as they're cheap). Add a second set of wheels for M/Ts (undecided as to size, as 37s are that much more taxing on the rig in all sorts of ways, plus additional suspension-related expense).
I know but......

Ford Bronco 3-Peak Mountain Snowflake vs. Mud Tires in Snow ? 37's-1

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't remember what yires I ran near Tahoe, but pretty sure they were BFGs. However, during Snowmageddon (MD,DC area) with two separate 16+" dumps within a week or so, my now discontinued 35" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws were a dream on freeway and in the unplowed deep snow of an entrance to Home Depot I used to get around traffic.

Ford Bronco 3-Peak Mountain Snowflake vs. Mud Tires in Snow ? snowJeep001

Sierra Nevada's........er ummmm.... rocky mountains.......šŸ˜šŸ¤£
Ford Bronco 3-Peak Mountain Snowflake vs. Mud Tires in Snow ? Screenshot_20221214_142923_Chrome

NorthShoreBronco

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Badlands 2D, 22 BD 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You're killing me here! What's your suspension setup?
RoughCountry 5 inch lift for Non Sasquatch Badlands. It's a UCA drop kit, so get to keep my Bilstein suspension. I love it!

Sponsored

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JK, 2000 Ram 2500, 1993 FZJ80, 1994 FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

By experience I can tell you that 15 year old Interco SSRs will get you where you are going, just not in a straight line :D

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You going 35s or 37s? I have Falken AT3W on my wife's F150 and they are a fantastic tire for the road and mild off-roading. You need to make sure you have at least a 1/2" to 3/4" spacing between the lugs. Snow traction is using snow between the treads to grab the snow you are driving on. Snow on Snow friction is how you should look at adding traction. People giving you AT tire recommendations are not giving you anything over the factory SAS tires.

You can be one of two people on the trail.

Ford Bronco 3-Peak Mountain Snowflake vs. Mud Tires in Snow ? 1671049630210

Ford Bronco 3-Peak Mountain Snowflake vs. Mud Tires in Snow ? 1671049661442

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dingbat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars, bikes, canoes, sailboatsā€¦
Your Bronco Model
Base
That is 100% wrong. Snow packed in a tire would actually decrease traction. Snow tire work because of the specific compound they are made of. They are designed to stay pliable and flexible in freezing conditions. This enables the tread blocks and sipes to confirm or grip to the tiny imperfections in ice and snow. On ice the tire sipes open to expel the water that is formed by the friction of the tire against the ice. That water layer is what makes ice slippery.
Would you mind elaborating on this?
Iā€™ve heard the snow to snow traction concept from a number of sources, some more reliable than others, but never directly from someone actually engineering winter tires.

A couple videos mentioning the concept:

Good snow tires use multiple strategies for dealing with varying snow conditions because more than anything, snow conditions vary and itā€™s mechanical properties vary with those conditions. Why wouldā€™t sintering or intergranular bonding be taken advantage of when conditions lend themselves to it?

Eta: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022489822000726

The conventional brush model is a well-known approach to the modeling of tire-road interaction. This simple model use small brush elements, linear elastic and independent bristles. Additionally, the brittlesā€™ properties allow them to adhere to the front part of the contact patch and to slide in the rear. Snow accumulates in the tire patterns' voids and sipes when driving on snowy roads, generating snow-road surface forces. The conventional brush model (Bakker et al., 1989, Svendenius 2003) represents only the road-tire interaction without taking the tread pattern into consideration. Therefore, a double interaction brush model (Kusachov et al., 2019) was developed to represent an extra interaction between the packed snow in the voids of tire. This approach incorporates snow-shearing forces into a tire model using the brush model theory and it showed better match of test data compared with the single interaction models over a large slip range.
Sponsored

Last edited: