John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BaseSquatch, 2021 Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thank You,
I didn't mention trail turn assist. I tried it out, and it did it's thing. Left a foot deep rut on the locked up wheel. So much for tread lightly.
Does black diamond come standard with trail turn assist? I didn't think it did, but I would be excited to have it. Great review by the way.
Sponsored

HorizonHunter

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does black diamond come standard with trail turn assist? I didn't think it did, but I would be excited to have it. Great review by the way.
Should be anything with the 10 speed auto.

Delli555

Black Diamond
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Acadia
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What tire pressure were you at while using sand mode?

Swamp Yankee

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Land Rover LR3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the review, I had a good chuckle! Appreciate another positive experience with the 4 cyl, makes me feel good about going manual.

bodie_38

First Name
Bodie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ELR, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Great write up!
I find myself questioning that door design. I don't understand the decision to make them frameless. A frame with the window down would give you something to hold on to while maneuvering to get them on and off. Either a helper or a hook from the ceiling would make it a simple operation, the window wouldn't have to move to open and close the door and wouldn't rattle around so much with a frame. It's not like the frames would block views, there's already a giant bar from the windshield back and B-pillar. Sure, they wouldn't fit in the back but who is really going to go somewhere and decide take the doors off and have them bounce around in the back? I hope the aftermarket comes up with door inserts and soft doors to use in the rain. I can't see me routinely removing the Bronco doors as they are.

Sponsored

theserg

Big Bend
First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Sadly, it is going to require some practice. It's easier to have someone balance the weight of the rear part of the front doors while reinstalling.

I'm thinking it shouldn't require so much effort....But then again women wear makeup :unsure:
This guy wins post of the month :LOL:

theserg

Big Bend
First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Great write up!
I find myself questioning that door design. I don't understand the decision to make them frameless. A frame with the window down would give you something to hold on to while maneuvering to get them on and off. Either a helper or a hook from the ceiling would make it a simple operation, the window wouldn't have to move to open and close the door and wouldn't rattle around so much with a frame. It's not like the frames would block views, there's already a giant bar from the windshield back and B-pillar. Sure, they wouldn't fit in the back but who is really going to go somewhere and decide take the doors off and have them bounce around in the back? I hope the aftermarket comes up with door inserts and soft doors to use in the rain. I can't see me routinely removing the Bronco doors as they are.
They went frameless so you could store them in the back of the Bronco. But I do see where the frame could help.

Snappy22

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Pilot, 2022 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It was great to hear that after 26 years enough people up in Dearborn finally rallied together and decided to take a stab at bringing Lazarus back from the dead. I'll never forget when I was 15 years old and I jogged down to the local Eckerd's drug store and bought that Motor Trend magazine featuring the 1997 Ford Expedition. It was like a 4 Door Bronco without the twin I-Beams up front. I showed it to my dad, and he kind of snickered at it. Two weeks later, that asshole traded in what was supposed to be my 1995 Bronco XLT for a '97 Eddie Bauer Expedition. That '95 was black with a gray interior, and it had a bitchin' car phone. That Bronco had stayed up late one night at a deer lease in South Texas pulling out buried pickups after a freak rain storm. Sand, caliche, and lots of water didn't mix well that night, but that truck saved the day. It was gone forever, and was heartlessly replace by a 2 wheel drive 4 door bloated monster.

January 2021.. I had already sort of grown up and got married, had a couple of kids, and a house and stuff. Also, I reserved a 4 door, Black Diamond, optioned out only with the mid package and the tow hitch.

March 2021 I got an email that instructed me to pull my head out of my ass and convert it to an order before it was too late. I obliged and agreed on paying sticker (dumb move, I know) but I did it anyway. I've been lurking on the forums intermittently ever since, and have been amazed and appalled at the same time reading story after story about everyone's orders and people getting bumped and forgotten about.

May 2021.. I got a VIN and a scheduled for June production email.

June 2021 ... Got bumped to August

August 2021... Scheduled for 8/6 ......was actually built on August 9th

September 23rd 2021 got a text ...Bronco is here
Went down to the Ryan Ford in Sealy Texas. Didn't get fucked with, actually bought it for the agreed price. While I was about to go into the finance office at the dealer my mom called. She told me that my grandmother had passed away, there were no details at the time, but that she loves me. She's the best. I breezed through finance and was reunited with my salesman... Everyone smiled, but the sales manager wouldn't immediately buy it back for $15K over sticker. Oh well, guess I'll drive it and see what happens...

Soft top / Door removal and install:
The doors are kind of a pain in the ass to remove. They're not particularly over complicated, its just that the hinges are tough to access when compared to my JL. Later, I realized that the Bronco has concealed hinges that make the vehicle look a hell of a lot cleaner with the doors on, so it makes sense that the hinges are tucked away. The electrical connections are easy and straightforward to disconnect and reconnect. No complaints there. The fact that the doors are 1/2 doors makes then even easier to carry around. Total win for Bronco. It's a damn shame that reinstalling them completely negates this win (and then some).

Reinstalling the doors:
COMPLETE FUCKING NIGHTMARE compared to my JL. The thought of having a removable alignment pin that has to be carried from door to door just to line up the hinges is completely asinine. I love driving this vehicle without doors, but I will not take them off as often as I do my Jeep. It is indescribably impossible to explain how hard the hinges are to align. I realize Jeep has 80 years of removable door patents that Ford can not use and Ford had to come up with their own thing. Their finished product is shit, and they need to reimagine it. The tools that come with the truck suck. The socket doesn't really fit the head of the bolt and likes to slip off. The ratchet wants to back the bolts out when trying to tighten them. These tools are as annoying as the old school Ford power steering whine. Additionally, I tightened to doors up to what felt like a "reasonable" tightness, but within 24 hours 3 of the 4 doors were popping when opening and closing the doors. The right front door dropped a hinge bolt. I had to go back around and tighten the hell out of the door hinges. I feel like someday I'm going to pay for having to tighten up the bolts this much. Something is going to wear out and break. I don't even reinstall my Jeep door hinge bolts after putting the doors back on. They just hook into place and I roll on down the line.

Removing the soft top:
Pretty easy and straightforward. Fold it back, remove two trim panels and remove 3 bolts on each side. Get a buddy to lift...it's heavier that you think. The trim, by the way, is quite vulnerable to discoloration when removing pieces. They turn white at the slightest bend. Also, don't drop a bolt, or you will have to remove more panels to recover it.

Reinstalling the top (at night)
Somebody didn't think this through. The LED cargo lamp was specifically designed to FUCKING BLIND YOU when attempting to reinstall the soft top bolts on the right side of the vehicle. I'm not going to go into details...you will have to experience this yourself.

Driving impressions:
It's fast. The 4 cylinder Turbo mated to the 10 speed transmission launches me through the gears like an electric roller coaster. Cars I've driven before really ride the tachometer. Usually I can feel the progression through each gear and then start off at the bottom of the next gear. This car glides through each of the 10 speeds and keeps me in the peak of the power band. It's a seemingly endless ribbon of power that never peaks or drops. The feeling of acceleration lasts until I take my foot off the gas. I always chicken out long before this 4 cylinder begins to show any sign of weakness or wearing out. It's truly powerful. In fact, I'm not sure why they put a V6 in this vehicle. I'm always about to break the ass-end loose around corners. When the top and the doors are off I have to let off the gas or the cart will definitely come before the horse. It's got way more acceleration than my 2 liter turbo / hybrid Jeep. I really like this Bronco's power.

Sand Mode. Sand mode is a real treat. It's kind of a cross between 4-Hi and Sport Mode with the rear locker defaulting to "on" I was able to take the Bronco through anything I aimed it at and not get stuck. At one point I made a conscious decision to stop, just to see how well it would take off. The truck did not disappoint. I wasn't able to stick the truck that day. It did really well. We put 126 miles on the odometer in 4 wheel drive that day. Even though the Black Diamond does not come with baja mode, we were easily able to baja this vehicle for miles and miles of endless beach.

IMG_0423.jpg

65428279337__5E174F68-207E-48E7-A407-BB645CB3B71D.jpg
Awesome write up! I assume you have the stock gears and not the 4.46? Cool to hear the stock feels fast. Wonder if the 4.46 will feel even peppier off the line.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Awesome write up! I assume you have the stock gears and not the 4.46? Cool to hear the stock feels fast. Wonder if the 4.46 will feel even peppier off the line.
BD comes with 4.46

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Steven...sorry for your loss! Great write-up. I haven't had my Base Sasquatch off-road yet, but I do agree that the 2.3 has plenty of power. I had thoughts of getting a Black Diamond, but decided to save a couple thousand dollars for aftermarket upgrades (stereo really needs it).

Sponsored

Snappy22

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Pilot, 2022 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

BD comes with 4.46
Whoops. Thought I’d you didn’t opt for the rear locker it had a different gearing ratio. I stand corrected!

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Mpg isn't really any better with a 4. Maybe if we get some more real-world data we could determine that.

Your whole list is basically...it's smaller, cheaper, and less powerful. Yup.

Cbiggs

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ, 94 YJ, 04 JK, 17 Taco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great write up, and condolences. ive had similar issues with reinstalling the doors. one of the top bolts came loose from not wanting to over tighten and was lost. Finding a replacement bolt was special order $6 ea….bought a few but won’t have them for two weeks.

dfresh73

Badlands
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It was great to hear that after 26 years enough people up in Dearborn finally rallied together and decided to take a stab at bringing Lazarus back from the dead. I'll never forget when I was 15 years old and I jogged down to the local Eckerd's drug store and bought that Motor Trend magazine featuring the 1997 Ford Expedition. It was like a 4 Door Bronco without the twin I-Beams up front. I showed it to my dad, and he kind of snickered at it. Two weeks later, that asshole traded in what was supposed to be my 1995 Bronco XLT for a '97 Eddie Bauer Expedition. That '95 was black with a gray interior, and it had a bitchin' car phone. That Bronco had stayed up late one night at a deer lease in South Texas pulling out buried pickups after a freak rain storm. Sand, caliche, and lots of water didn't mix well that night, but that truck saved the day. It was gone forever, and was heartlessly replace by a 2 wheel drive 4 door bloated monster.

January 2021.. I had already sort of grown up and got married, had a couple of kids, and a house and stuff. Also, I reserved a 4 door, Black Diamond, optioned out only with the mid package and the tow hitch.

March 2021 I got an email that instructed me to pull my head out of my ass and convert it to an order before it was too late. I obliged and agreed on paying sticker (dumb move, I know) but I did it anyway. I've been lurking on the forums intermittently ever since, and have been amazed and appalled at the same time reading story after story about everyone's orders and people getting bumped and forgotten about.

Went down to the Ryan Ford in Sealy Texas. Didn't get fucked with, actually bought it for the agreed price. While I was about to go into the finance office at the dealer my mom called. She told me that my grandmother had passed away, there were no details at the time, but that she loves me. She's the best. I breezed through finance and was reunited with my salesman... Everyone smiled, but the sales manager wouldn't immediately buy it back for $15K over sticker. Oh well, guess I'll drive it and see what happens...

The doors are kind of a pain in the ass to remove. They're not particularly over complicated, its just that the hinges are tough to access when compared to my JL. Later, I realized that the Bronco has concealed hinges that make the vehicle look a hell of a lot cleaner with the doors on, so it makes sense that the hinges are tucked away. The electrical connections are easy and straightforward to disconnect and reconnect. No complaints there. The fact that the doors are 1/2 doors makes then even easier to carry around. Total win for Bronco. It's a damn shame that reinstalling them completely negates this win (and then some).

Reinstalling the doors:
COMPLETE FUCKING NIGHTMARE compared to my JL. The thought of having a removable alignment pin that has to be carried from door to door just to line up the hinges is completely asinine. I love driving this vehicle without doors, but I will not take them off as often as I do my Jeep. It is indescribably impossible to explain how hard the hinges are to align. I realize Jeep has 80 years of removable door patents that Ford can not use and Ford had to come up with their own thing. Their finished product is shit, and they need to reimagine it. The tools that come with the truck suck. The socket doesn't really fit the head of the bolt and likes to slip off. The ratchet wants to back the bolts out when trying to tighten them. These tools are as annoying as the old school Ford power steering whine. Additionally, I tightened to doors up to what felt like a "reasonable" tightness, but within 24 hours 3 of the 4 doors were popping when opening and closing the doors. The right front door dropped a hinge bolt. I had to go back around and tighten the hell out of the door hinges. I feel like someday I'm going to pay for having to tighten up the bolts this much. Something is going to wear out and break. I don't even reinstall my Jeep door hinge bolts after putting the doors back on. They just hook into place and I roll on down the line.

Removing the soft top:
Pretty easy and straightforward. Fold it back, remove two trim panels and remove 3 bolts on each side. Get a buddy to lift...it's heavier that you think. The trim, by the way, is quite vulnerable to discoloration when removing pieces. They turn white at the slightest bend. Also, don't drop a bolt, or you will have to remove more panels to recover it.

Somebody didn't think this through. The LED cargo lamp was specifically designed to FUCKING BLIND YOU when attempting to reinstall the soft top bolts on the right side of the vehicle. I'm not going to go into details...you will have to experience this yourself.

Driving impressions:
It's fast. The 4 cylinder Turbo mated to the 10 speed transmission launches me through the gears like an electric roller coaster. Cars I've driven before really ride the tachometer. Usually I can feel the progression through each gear and then start off at the bottom of the next gear. This car glides through each of the 10 speeds and keeps me in the peak of the power band. It's a seemingly endless ribbon of power that never peaks or drops. The feeling of acceleration lasts until I take my foot off the gas. I always chicken out long before this 4 cylinder begins to show any sign of weakness or wearing out. It's truly powerful. In fact, I'm not sure why they put a V6 in this vehicle. I'm always about to break the ass-end loose around corners. When the top and the doors are off I have to let off the gas or the cart will definitely come before the horse. It's got way more acceleration than my 2 liter turbo / hybrid Jeep. I really like this Bronco's power.

Sand Mode. Sand mode is a real treat. It's kind of a cross between 4-Hi and Sport Mode with the rear locker defaulting to "on" I was able to take the Bronco through anything I aimed it at and not get stuck. At one point I made a conscious decision to stop, just to see how well it would take off. The truck did not disappoint. I wasn't able to stick the truck that day. It did really well. We put 126 miles on the odometer in 4 wheel drive that day. Even though the Black Diamond does not come with baja mode, we were easily able to baja this vehicle for miles and miles of endless beach.

IMG_0423.jpg

65428279337__5E174F68-207E-48E7-A407-BB645CB3B71D.jpg
Im 100% buying one of these for

Reinstalling the doors:

Removing the soft top:

Driving impressions:

Ford Bronco 3 Week Review - 2,001 Miles in Bronco Black Diamond IMG_0423

Ford Bronco 3 Week Review - 2,001 Miles in Bronco Black Diamond 65428279337__5E174F68-207E-48E7-A407-BB645CB3B71D
I’m 100% buying one of these for the door.

C5FF2D0E-E922-4CB5-B376-4D1C5D479D60.jpeg

55E43E5D-1B3B-43F8-9D78-46055557FE91.jpeg
Sponsored