First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 Supercrew FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
It was great to hear that after 26 years enough people up in Dearborn finally rallied together and decided to take a stab at bringing Lazarus back from the dead. I'll never forget when I was 15 years old and I jogged down to the local Eckerd's drug store and bought that Motor Trend magazine featuring the 1997 Ford Expedition. It was like a 4 Door Bronco without the twin I-Beams up front. I showed it to my dad, and he kind of snickered at it. Two weeks later, that asshole traded in what was supposed to be my 1995 Bronco XLT for a '97 Eddie Bauer Expedition. That '95 was black with a gray interior, and it had a bitchin' car phone. That Bronco had stayed up late one night at a deer lease in South Texas pulling out buried pickups after a freak rain storm. Sand, caliche, and lots of water didn't mix well that night, but that truck saved the day. It was gone forever, and was heartlessly replace by a 2 wheel drive 4 door bloated monster.

January 2021.. I had already sort of grown up and got married, had a couple of kids, and a house and stuff. Also, I reserved a 4 door, Black Diamond, optioned out only with the mid package and the tow hitch.

March 2021 I got an email that instructed me to pull my head out of my ass and convert it to an order before it was too late. I obliged and agreed on paying sticker (dumb move, I know) but I did it anyway. I've been lurking on the forums intermittently ever since, and have been amazed and appalled at the same time reading story after story about everyone's orders and people getting bumped and forgotten about.

May 2021.. I got a VIN and a scheduled for June production email.

June 2021 ... Got bumped to August

August 2021... Scheduled for 8/6 ......was actually built on August 9th

September 23rd 2021 got a text ...Bronco is here
Went down to the Ryan Ford in Sealy Texas. Didn't get fucked with, actually bought it for the agreed price. While I was about to go into the finance office at the dealer my mom called. She told me that my grandmother had passed away, there were no details at the time, but that she loves me. She's the best. I breezed through finance and was reunited with my salesman... Everyone smiled, but the sales manager wouldn't immediately buy it back for $15K over sticker. Oh well, guess I'll drive it and see what happens...

Soft top / Door removal and install:
The doors are kind of a pain in the ass to remove. They're not particularly over complicated, its just that the hinges are tough to access when compared to my JL. Later, I realized that the Bronco has concealed hinges that make the vehicle look a hell of a lot cleaner with the doors on, so it makes sense that the hinges are tucked away. The electrical connections are easy and straightforward to disconnect and reconnect. No complaints there. The fact that the doors are 1/2 doors makes then even easier to carry around. Total win for Bronco. It's a damn shame that reinstalling them completely negates this win (and then some).

Reinstalling the doors:
COMPLETE FUCKING NIGHTMARE compared to my JL. The thought of having a removable alignment pin that has to be carried from door to door just to line up the hinges is completely asinine. I love driving this vehicle without doors, but I will not take them off as often as I do my Jeep. It is indescribably impossible to explain how hard the hinges are to align. I realize Jeep has 80 years of removable door patents that Ford can not use and Ford had to come up with their own thing. Their finished product is shit, and they need to reimagine it. The tools that come with the truck suck. The socket doesn't really fit the head of the bolt and likes to slip off. The ratchet wants to back the bolts out when trying to tighten them. These tools are as annoying as the old school Ford power steering whine. Additionally, I tightened to doors up to what felt like a "reasonable" tightness, but within 24 hours 3 of the 4 doors were popping when opening and closing the doors. The right front door dropped a hinge bolt. I had to go back around and tighten the hell out of the door hinges. I feel like someday I'm going to pay for having to tighten up the bolts this much. Something is going to wear out and break. I don't even reinstall my Jeep door hinge bolts after putting the doors back on. They just hook into place and I roll on down the line.

Removing the soft top:
Pretty easy and straightforward. Fold it back, remove two trim panels and remove 3 bolts on each side. Get a buddy to lift...it's heavier that you think. The trim, by the way, is quite vulnerable to discoloration when removing pieces. They turn white at the slightest bend. Also, don't drop a bolt, or you will have to remove more panels to recover it.

Reinstalling the top (at night)
Somebody didn't think this through. The LED cargo lamp was specifically designed to FUCKING BLIND YOU when attempting to reinstall the soft top bolts on the right side of the vehicle. I'm not going to go into details...you will have to experience this yourself.

Driving impressions:
It's fast. The 4 cylinder Turbo mated to the 10 speed transmission launches me through the gears like an electric roller coaster. Cars I've driven before really ride the tachometer. Usually I can feel the progression through each gear and then start off at the bottom of the next gear. This car glides through each of the 10 speeds and keeps me in the peak of the power band. It's a seemingly endless ribbon of power that never peaks or drops. The feeling of acceleration lasts until I take my foot off the gas. I always chicken out long before this 4 cylinder begins to show any sign of weakness or wearing out. It's truly powerful. In fact, I'm not sure why they put a V6 in this vehicle. I'm always about to break the ass-end loose around corners. When the top and the doors are off I have to let off the gas or the cart will definitely come before the horse. It's got way more acceleration than my 2 liter turbo / hybrid Jeep. I really like this Bronco's power.

Sand Mode. Sand mode is a real treat. It's kind of a cross between 4-Hi and Sport Mode with the rear locker defaulting to "on" I was able to take the Bronco through anything I aimed it at and not get stuck. At one point I made a conscious decision to stop, just to see how well it would take off. The truck did not disappoint. I wasn't able to stick the truck that day. It did really well. We put 126 miles on the odometer in 4 wheel drive that day. Even though the Black Diamond does not come with baja mode, we were easily able to baja this vehicle for miles and miles of endless beach.

IMG_0423.jpg

65428279337__5E174F68-207E-48E7-A407-BB645CB3B71D.jpg
What beach did you go? Padre island?
Sponsored

fschael

Base
First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 Supercrew FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yep, PINS : one of my favorite places in the world
Planning to do the same as soon I get delivery of mine! 60 miles of sand and fun!

OP
OP
BroncoIII

BroncoIII

Black Diamond
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond -Area 51
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Planning to do the same as soon I get delivery of mine! 60 miles of sand and fun!
Hit me up, lets plan a Bronco thing. Do you have a VIN yet?

fschael

Base
First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 Supercrew FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hit me up, lets plan a Bronco thing. Do you have a VIN yet?
Sound good!! will do for sure!

Yes! since August, last night got the latest mail with production date change for first week of November 😣

Sponsored

bmclain

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Explorer, 2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Totally agree with the door issues. I do think it's a job for 2 people. Back doors weren't bad, it was the fronts since they were a bit heavier and harder to get in place since they don't open as far as the backs. I'm a long way from the beaches, but we are definitely planning on doing a bunch of beach driving in ours!

BreezyNVegas

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Totally agree with the door issues. I do think it's a job for 2 people. Back doors weren't bad, it was the fronts since they were a bit heavier and harder to get in place since they don't open as far as the backs. I'm a long way from the beaches, but we are definitely planning on doing a bunch of beach driving in ours!
I feel the same way. That Bronco Nation video is a scam. I almost dropped my front passenger door. Scared me to death. I need to hit the gym these door are heavy. Storing them in the back is really not an option when you're "On the trail". Put them in the bags and leave them in the garage.

95Bravo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Their finished product is shit, and they need to reimagine it. The tools that come with the truck suck. The socket doesn't really fit the head of the bolt and likes to slip off. The ratchet wants to back the bolts out when trying to tighten them. These tools are as annoying as the old school Ford power steering whine. Additionally, I tightened to doors up to what felt like a "reasonable" tightness, but within 24 hours 3 of the 4 doors were popping when opening and closing the doors. The right front door dropped a hinge bolt.
Totally F-ing agree! Even worse for the 2-dr. There is also a "false hold" when you re-mount the door -- I put the passenger door onto the perch and it felt secure, so I started to let go to grab the hinge bolt and the door slipped off the perch...I caught the beast but it nearly broke my back trying to grab it midair! Seriously W.T.F. ?!

I've been meaning to post a PSA message about lost hinge bolts. The first time I removed the doors and replaced them, a couple of days later the passenger door was popping...after yelling at my teenage son for screwing up the door, I realized the hinge bolt was gone! Had worked loose and dropped out. WHY did Ford design the bolt to screw in from the bottom?? (Some engineers on here might be able to explain?!) Makes zero sense to me. OEM bolt is gone. OEM bolt is "back ordered" from Ford (probably means they just don't have the new parts). So a trip to Home depot, and found a replacement. But good grief, bad design.

@BroncoIII is absolutely right: Ford needs to reimagine the door hinge design.

JBBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR Corolla
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Driving impressions:
It's fast. The 4 cylinder Turbo mated to the 10 speed transmission launches me through the gears like an electric roller coaster. Cars I've driven before really ride the tachometer. Usually I can feel the progression through each gear and then start off at the bottom of the next gear. This car glides through each of the 10 speeds and keeps me in the peak of the power band. It's a seemingly endless ribbon of power that never peaks or drops. The feeling of acceleration lasts until I take my foot off the gas. I always chicken out long before this 4 cylinder begins to show any sign of weakness or wearing out. It's truly powerful. In fact, I'm not sure why they put a V6 in this vehicle. I'm always about to break the ass-end loose around corners. When the top and the doors are off I have to let off the gas or the cart will definitely come before the horse. It's got way more acceleration than my 2 liter turbo / hybrid Jeep. I really like this Bronco's power.
What hero switches does the Black Diamond come with? Front and rear lockers and trail turn assist?

Sponsored

Lilj4425

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was going to try and remove the doors for the first time this week with the nice weather and all but after reading this I think I will hold off for now.

saldanad

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
It was great to hear that after 26 years enough people up in Dearborn finally rallied together and decided to take a stab at bringing Lazarus back from the dead. I'll never forget when I was 15 years old and I jogged down to the local Eckerd's drug store and bought that Motor Trend magazine featuring the 1997 Ford Expedition. It was like a 4 Door Bronco without the twin I-Beams up front. I showed it to my dad, and he kind of snickered at it. Two weeks later, that asshole traded in what was supposed to be my 1995 Bronco XLT for a '97 Eddie Bauer Expedition. That '95 was black with a gray interior, and it had a bitchin' car phone. That Bronco had stayed up late one night at a deer lease in South Texas pulling out buried pickups after a freak rain storm. Sand, caliche, and lots of water didn't mix well that night, but that truck saved the day. It was gone forever, and was heartlessly replace by a 2 wheel drive 4 door bloated monster.

January 2021.. I had already sort of grown up and got married, had a couple of kids, and a house and stuff. Also, I reserved a 4 door, Black Diamond, optioned out only with the mid package and the tow hitch.

March 2021 I got an email that instructed me to pull my head out of my ass and convert it to an order before it was too late. I obliged and agreed on paying sticker (dumb move, I know) but I did it anyway. I've been lurking on the forums intermittently ever since, and have been amazed and appalled at the same time reading story after story about everyone's orders and people getting bumped and forgotten about.

May 2021.. I got a VIN and a scheduled for June production email.

June 2021 ... Got bumped to August

August 2021... Scheduled for 8/6 ......was actually built on August 9th

September 23rd 2021 got a text ...Bronco is here
Went down to the Ryan Ford in Sealy Texas. Didn't get fucked with, actually bought it for the agreed price. While I was about to go into the finance office at the dealer my mom called. She told me that my grandmother had passed away, there were no details at the time, but that she loves me. She's the best. I breezed through finance and was reunited with my salesman... Everyone smiled, but the sales manager wouldn't immediately buy it back for $15K over sticker. Oh well, guess I'll drive it and see what happens...

Soft top / Door removal and install:
The doors are kind of a pain in the ass to remove. They're not particularly over complicated, its just that the hinges are tough to access when compared to my JL. Later, I realized that the Bronco has concealed hinges that make the vehicle look a hell of a lot cleaner with the doors on, so it makes sense that the hinges are tucked away. The electrical connections are easy and straightforward to disconnect and reconnect. No complaints there. The fact that the doors are 1/2 doors makes then even easier to carry around. Total win for Bronco. It's a damn shame that reinstalling them completely negates this win (and then some).

Reinstalling the doors:
COMPLETE FUCKING NIGHTMARE compared to my JL. The thought of having a removable alignment pin that has to be carried from door to door just to line up the hinges is completely asinine. I love driving this vehicle without doors, but I will not take them off as often as I do my Jeep. It is indescribably impossible to explain how hard the hinges are to align. I realize Jeep has 80 years of removable door patents that Ford can not use and Ford had to come up with their own thing. Their finished product is shit, and they need to reimagine it. The tools that come with the truck suck. The socket doesn't really fit the head of the bolt and likes to slip off. The ratchet wants to back the bolts out when trying to tighten them. These tools are as annoying as the old school Ford power steering whine. Additionally, I tightened to doors up to what felt like a "reasonable" tightness, but within 24 hours 3 of the 4 doors were popping when opening and closing the doors. The right front door dropped a hinge bolt. I had to go back around and tighten the hell out of the door hinges. I feel like someday I'm going to pay for having to tighten up the bolts this much. Something is going to wear out and break. I don't even reinstall my Jeep door hinge bolts after putting the doors back on. They just hook into place and I roll on down the line.

Removing the soft top:
Pretty easy and straightforward. Fold it back, remove two trim panels and remove 3 bolts on each side. Get a buddy to lift...it's heavier that you think. The trim, by the way, is quite vulnerable to discoloration when removing pieces. They turn white at the slightest bend. Also, don't drop a bolt, or you will have to remove more panels to recover it.

Reinstalling the top (at night)
Somebody didn't think this through. The LED cargo lamp was specifically designed to FUCKING BLIND YOU when attempting to reinstall the soft top bolts on the right side of the vehicle. I'm not going to go into details...you will have to experience this yourself.

Driving impressions:

Sand Mode. Sand mode is a real treat. It's kind of a cross between 4-Hi and Sport Mode with the rear locker defaulting to "on" I was able to take the Bronco through anything I aimed it at and not get stuck. At one point I made a conscious decision to stop, just to see how well it would take off. The truck did not disappoint. I wasn't able to stick the truck that day. It did really well. We put 126 miles on the odometer in 4 wheel drive that day. Even though the Black Diamond does not come with baja mode, we were easily able to baja this vehicle for miles and miles of endless beach.

IMG_0423.jpg

65428279337__5E174F68-207E-48E7-A407-BB645CB3B71D.jpg
We saw an identical Bronco way down on PINS that weekend. Maybe it was you. Your bronco looks nice. Looking forward to the arrival of mine. Thanks for sharing your impressions thus far. The I4 is a great engine. I’ve been enjoying it in the Ranger.

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Expedition, 2008 Explorer, 2002 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sounds like the door is a 2-person job. One to hold the weight of the door and the other person lines it up
After a couple of iterations, I prefer removing the doors and installing them by myself. There is definitely some technique involved. Using 2 people I scuffed the doors way too much. I have much more control going solo. Lining the hinges up isn't that bad after a couple of practice runs. It just sucks having to practice with a brand new paint job! I have pulled all 4 doors and bagged them in less than 10 minutes. And I am able to re-install them in maybe 15.
Sponsored