Sponsored

3 year nav subscription -- for all GPS stuff or just the trail maps?

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Screenshot_20201023-121555_Chrome.jpg

Not to mention the "build-in" instead of "built-in" language.

It never delineates navigation from the promoted trail maps.
I totally get that but this thing is full of errors. Ford offers on every other car for about $600-$800 built in lifetime navigation. I think they are just mis-communicating the difference between the trails and the nav maps.
Sponsored

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Then what is the built in navigation you are paying $695 for?
It could be referring to on-vehicle storage. Watch the Broncos without "build-in" navigation have to use FordPass to download maps on the fly...every. time.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I totally get that but this thin is full of errors. Ford offers on every other car for about $600-$800 built in lifetime navigation. I think they are just mis communication the difference between the trails and the nav maps.
I totally hope so, but lots of people also said "by September" meant before September.

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It could be referring to on-vehicle storage. Watch the Broncos without "build-in" navigation have to use FordPass to download maps on the fly...every. time.
Not saying that can't happen but Ford has never done that. They always off on board maps for life for about $700. It makes sense that the trail maps would be supbscrioption based and only offered on 12" screen

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

the computer system to run the navigation. Hopefully the subscription is just for the trail maps and traffic data and not the physical navigation because that I can live with. I really really hope the physical navigation is NOT subscription too
Edit typo
Kind of like phones now days. You would think that spending $1200 on an iPhone would come with service but nope we just keep taking it and taking it lol We as Americans like to think of finances in “what does this cost me per month” instead of long term cost so this is why auto makers realize they can charge us monthly for stuff like Nav and people will pay it

Sponsored

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not saying that can't happen but Ford has never done that. They always off on board maps for life for about $700.
The times are a changin'

Everything is moving to a subscription, you never own anything, model. Microsoft Office, Adobe Premiere, streaming services, etc. They all want steady revenue streams not one-time purchases and it sucks.

dwfern

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 4-Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I too am confused with the Connected Navigation vs. Connected Built In Navigation. After Mr. Google and Ford Media... this is my understanding.

Connected Navigation: Navigation as you know it today, no subscription, and only works when within network range

Connected Built In Navigation: Navigation as you know it today, subscription, and works anywhere using Telenav technology to store maps and provide directions when out of network. My guess is the subscription is the Telenav portion and if you don't subscribe or stop subscribing, you will fall down to "standard" Nav.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...-the-beaten-path-telenav-ford-navigation.html

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Kind of like phones now days. You would think that spending $1200 on an iPhone would come with service but nope we just keep taking it and taking it lol We as Americans like to think of finances in “what does this cost me per month” instead of long term cost so this is why auto makers realize they can charge us monthly for stuff like Nav and people will pay it
Oh no doubt, just this forum is full of people with no regards to money. Either they were not taught it or just have so much they don't give a crap. Either is no excuse.

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I too am confused with the Connected Navigation vs. Connected Built In Navigation. After Mr. Google and Ford Media... this is my understanding.

Connected Navigation: Navigation as you know it today, no subscription, and only works when within network range

Connected Built In Navigation: Navigation as you know it today, subscription, and works anywhere using Telenav technology to store maps and provide directions when out of network. My guess is the subscription is the Telenav portion and if you don't subscribe or stop subscribing, you will fall down to "standard" Nav.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...-the-beaten-path-telenav-ford-navigation.html
Oh, that could be the right explanation, being able to connect out of service areas. Neat.

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thank you for this. I’m still sitting here wondering what happened to the all the GPS Floating around earth? if they kept it GPS navigation we would not need to be within “network range” but then again if they use GPS they couldn’t charge us a subscription. Well played Ford well Played

Sponsored

Buster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150 FX4 XLT, 2007 F-150 XLT, 1983 Mustang GT 5.0, 2017 JKU Rubicon Recon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I guess I don't understand why you would need the built in navigation? According to the Sync 4 description on the Ford website, it supports both Android Auto and Apple Carplay so you can just use your phone app displayed on the Sync4 screen. As far as I can tell all Bronco's will have the Sync 4. Am I missing something? I have the MyFord Touch navigation in my '15 F150 and while it's nice to have when I am out of cell service it is a pain in the ass to enter an address in. Reminds me of the old Garmin Nuvi's...

RubyRuin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The more I read into this, I am realizing this is really just Ford's spin on GM's Infotainment 3 systems.

GM Infotainment 3 Plus (Ford's Connected Navigation) = No built-in maps, FordPass subscription is for getting all navigation/map data/real-time traffic updates/online location searches.

GM Infotainment 3 Plus with Navigation (Ford's Connected Built-in Navigation) = Map data stored in infotainment system (Updateable online or by USB), FordPass subscription is for enabling real-time traffic updates and online location searches.

OmahaKevin

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I guess I don't understand why you would need the built in navigation? According to the Sync 4 description on the Ford website, it supports both Android Auto and Apple Carplay so you can just use your phone app displayed on the Sync4 screen. As far as I can tell all Bronco's will have the Sync 4. Am I missing something? I have the MyFord Touch navigation in my '15 F150 and while it's nice to have when I am out of cell service it is a pain in the ass to enter an address in. Reminds me of the old Garmin Nuvi's...
Why should I burn data for maps when they can just be always in the car? And what about places where I don't have cell service or are roaming?

Bodge Garage

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Discovery, Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I got thinking none of this, build in vs subscription, would matter to me since I can use my Gaia GPS maps through Android Auto. BUT, the dreaded but, Android Auto will not let you use 3rd party navigation apps. Man o man I am thinking with all these little things this new car experience is not as cool as it had hoped.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The more I read into this, I am realizing this is really just Ford's spin on GM's Infotainment 3 systems.

GM Infotainment 3 Plus (Ford's Connected Navigation) = No built-in maps, FordPass subscription is for getting all navigation/map data/real-time traffic updates/online location searches.

GM Infotainment 3 Plus with Navigation (Ford's Connected Built-in Navigation) = Map data stored in infotainment system (Updateable online or by USB), FordPass subscription is for enabling real-time traffic updates and online location searches.
This is what I'm hoping, but Ford hasn't clarified it enough for me yet.
Sponsored