Sponsored

3 year nav subscription -- for all GPS stuff or just the trail maps?

ocnorBdroF1202

Wildtrak
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GMC 1500 SLT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I too am confused with the Connected Navigation vs. Connected Built In Navigation. After Mr. Google and Ford Media... this is my understanding.

Connected Navigation: Navigation as you know it today, no subscription, and only works when within network range

Connected Built In Navigation: Navigation as you know it today, subscription, and works anywhere using Telenav technology to store maps and provide directions when out of network. My guess is the subscription is the Telenav portion and if you don't subscribe or stop subscribing, you will fall down to "standard" Nav.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...-the-beaten-path-telenav-ford-navigation.html
Looks like TeleNav will set you back another $24.99/month
Sponsored

Darforce

Black Diamond
First Name
Darlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru crosstrek/ Mazda miata
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Curious why anyone would want to pay for gps when there is CarPlay / android play which also has maps?

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I did a bunch of digging an found a good article that I will post if I find it. Connected means it is connected to the cloud which mimicks waze with live traffic updates etc. Built in on lux adds internal maps built in for use when offline or without subscription services. With High, you won't have the built in maps and would probably want to pay the $600 upgrade fee for the High radio.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm opting for the 695 version, not because of the subscription but because when I choose not to pay a monthly fee, my Nav will still work.

I have Nav in my current car (never paid a dime beyond the initial Nav purchase of 400) and really like not having to tie up my phone whenever I want directions. Plus there are other benefits to being able to pull up a map even without a specific destination.

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Excursion, 96 Land Cruiser, 18 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm opting for the 695 version, not because of the subscription but because when I choose not to pay a monthly fee, my Nav will still work.

I have Nav in my current car (never paid a dime beyond the initial Nav purchase of 400) and really like not having to tie up my phone whenever I want directions. Plus there are other benefits to being able to pull up a map even without a specific destination.
Yep, the more I have thought about this, thats the exact conclusion Ive been coming to as well.

At least, if I understand it correctly.

Norm A.

Badlands
First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have Nav in my 2011 F-150, works fine and I've never paid for any kinda of subscription

mneblett

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150, 2019 Mustang GT vert, 2019 Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There is a constellation of GPS satellites in Geo-Syncros orbit that provides location service for FREE!
Minor tech correction (no offense to JesseS intended): The GPS constellation is not in geosynchronous orbit (fixed east-west position on the equator at 22,236 miles altitude), they are constantly circulating on many globe-circling paths in medium Earth orbit (~12,000 mi. altitude,). The satellite each circles the Earth ~twice a day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Positioning_System

Just injecting some geek into a subscription model b*tch thread ;) .

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Minor tech correction (no offense to JesseS intended): The GPS constellation is not in geosynchronous orbit (fixed east-west position on the equator at 22,236 miles altitude), they are constantly circulating on many globe-circling paths in medium Earth orbit (~12,000 mi. altitude,). The satellite each circles the Earth ~twice a day.

Yep, you are correct, I was thinking sat TV or military fixed communications satellites.

Sponsored

OmahaKevin

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have Nav in my 2011 F-150, works fine and I've never paid for any kinda of subscription
Your maps must be terribly out of date!! If you're on Sync with MyFord Touch you can go on eBay and find an updated map card. I think A11 is the newest. I just bought a new card for my 2012 Edge.

OmahaKevin

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You beat me to it!!

I was going to say that then add that all the GPS systems provide is a very precise clock. It's up to the receiver to take that time information, convert it to distance from satellites, convert that into lat/long/altitude/velocity, then show you on a map. The only free part in all of that is the time stamp that the satellites provide.

Norm A.

Badlands
First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Your maps must be terribly out of date!! If you're on Sync with MyFord Touch you can go on eBay and find an updated map card. I think A11 is the newest. I just bought a new card for my 2012 Edge.
Oh Hell yes it's outdated but worked fine last month in Lake Tahoe, just can't find the New Neighborhoods in San Diego County LOL

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Excursion, 96 Land Cruiser, 18 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So, after all this, Ive reversed course. Not only am I NOT bumping up to the "Built-In Connected", Im going down to the UNconnected base system.
Sponsored