Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Finally someone called me out on it lol

Actually not a ton of first hand experience, tbh. But I did tow a few heavy loads with my F150 inside the 1k mile break in and ended up with some random hard shifts common with the 10sp. Nothing horrible, but possibly could have been avoided.

In the end, better safe than sorry. I'd hate to create a long-term issue right out of the gate since I plan on keeping the bronco for many years.
I've just heard that modern vehicles don't need much break in but I personally have no experience or clue.
Sponsored

tjnoffy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBX Sas, '05 Mustang GT Conv, 2 Harleys
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It's just you and a whole bunch of people think you can get a 5k lbs vehicle shaped like a brick to get great gas mileage.
Sooo... just me or a whole bunch of ppl? :ROFLMAO: But seriously, not looking for GREAT mileage, just better.

Berwolf

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I will say I am impressed by the 2.7L numbers. Has anyone posted 2.3L auto mpg numbers? Would be interesting to see if it's the same, worse or better. I am wondering if the 2.7L and 10 speed efficiency maps are better aligned than the 2.3L.

BigTex

First Edition
First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mini CooperS Convertible, 2022 F150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I never have understood why people get so bent out of shape for others wanting to get the best mileage out of their vehicle. “Don’t buy a ’insert vehicle here’ if you want good fuel mileage….buy a Prius”. The logic is naive to those of us that are savers.

I have a 2015 Escalade EXT 4x4 that I can get over 20 mpg in. My wife gets 14 mpg at best ( btw, will be ”for sale” once she gets her FE next month…one owner with 55k miles). I have a 2017 F150 Platinum 4x4 with 1 size bigger tires than stock (Nitto Ridge Grapplers) 3.5 EB with a little over 56,000 miles. I purchased new with 8 miles. Trip 1 has never been reset and for the life of the truck I’m at 19.8 via computer……yes, I know…computer is always optimistic; however, WITH the larger tires it has never been off more than .7 mpg.

As a saver, it has allowed me a very comfortable life. Cash for new cars, no mortgage, no debt and so on. Mashing the throttle puts less of a thrill up my leg than a week in the mountains on my side-by-side, but hey….that’s just me.

So drive it like you stole it if that’s your desire. I could care less. I Just don’t understand why you give a shit if we want to drive easy?

BigTex

First Edition
First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mini CooperS Convertible, 2022 F150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I've only had mine for 3 days and only have 45 miles on it so hopefully it improves, but my average is 13.4 mpg. City driving only. No highway yet. Haven't been heavy on the throttle. Just normal driving. Did you experience this during the early miles? I have premium gas in it.
Premium fuel has made a difference in my 2017 F150 with the 3.5 EB. First, the power difference is noticeable and I belI’ve all the power ratings from Ford are WITH premium fuel. Mileage is at least 1.5 better per gallon. i only use premium fuel and Costco is generally only about 5 cents more than regular fuel at all the other gas stations.
As stated above, brake pedal is the enemy to MPG.….and on my F150, over 70 MPH reduces mileage too.
Driving around Dallas/Ft. Worth I can easily achieve 22 mpg per tank. On the hwy at 75+ I’ll be lucky to get 19. Thankfully, most of my driving is local.

Sponsored
OP
OP
DETT

DETT

Wildtrak
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Premium fuel has made a difference in my 2017 F150 with the 3.5 EB. First, the power difference is noticeable and I belI’ve all the power ratings from Ford are WITH premium fuel. Mileage is at least 1.5 better per gallon. i only use premium fuel and Costco is generally only about 5 cents more than regular fuel at all the other gas stations.
As stated above, brake pedal is the enemy to MPG.….and on my F150, over 70 MPH reduces mileage too.
Driving around Dallas/Ft. Worth I can easily achieve 22 mpg per tank. On the hwy at 75+ I’ll be lucky to get 19. Thankfully, most of my driving is local.
Thanks @BigTex good to know. This is my first EB motor. Might just have to try a tank of 93 next fill up if it's reasonable.

Automator59

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, F250 (7.3l), '23 Integra, RDX, Saab
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I appreciate these posts a lot. This matters.
And, as a person who clocks every single fill-up with a calculator, I can say that our 2017 and 2019 vehicles do not display correct MPG. the only car I’ve ever driven that got within one mile of the actual calculated MPG was my 2018 Golf R. Every other car is 1.75 to 2.75 off. Every one.
🤷‍♂️
I have used the Fuelly app for android for the last 10+ years to track every fill up on all my cars. You can get it from the app store and see the details and compare to other vehicles at fuelly.com.

impulse7

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Drops $65k on a truck and is worried about putting premium in... :unsure:
For everyday driving around I don't see a reason to put premium. On average 40 cents more per gallon around here. Considering Ford designed Ecoboost engines to run on regular. Some people have the means to use premium or better yet Shell premium. Go ahead. It is better. I'm happy that Ford offers flexibility when it comes to fuel choice.

tater_70

Wildtrak
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Fairlane, 1973 Bronco, 75 F-100
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Just
Just returned from a 6,000 mile trip with my Expedition, 3.5 . Drove through Tetons, Bryce, Moab, Yellowstone. Capitol Reef, Zion. Kept it at 70 most of the time and averaged nearly 22 MPH (calculated). I did a couple tanks of premium and did not notice any significant difference. Used cruise as much as possible.

Andrew_EOD

Wildtrak
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Also with premium fuel, for what it's worth, they announced it has more HP. I always put premium in my 2.0l focus ST EB. 🤷‍♂️

Sponsored

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I never have understood why people get so bent out of shape for others wanting to get the best mileage out of their vehicle. “Don’t buy a ’insert vehicle here’ if you want good fuel mileage….buy a Prius”. The logic is naive to those of us that are savers.

I have a 2015 Escalade EXT 4x4 that I can get over 20 mpg in. My wife gets 14 mpg at best ( btw, will be ”for sale” once she gets her FE next month…one owner with 55k miles). I have a 2017 F150 Platinum 4x4 with 1 size bigger tires than stock (Nitto Ridge Grapplers) 3.5 EB with a little over 56,000 miles. I purchased new with 8 miles. Trip 1 has never been reset and for the life of the truck I’m at 19.8 via computer……yes, I know…computer is always optimistic; however, WITH the larger tires it has never been off more than .7 mpg.

As a saver, it has allowed me a very comfortable life. Cash for new cars, no mortgage, no debt and so on. Mashing the throttle puts less of a thrill up my leg than a week in the mountains on my side-by-side, but hey….that’s just me.

So drive it like you stole it if that’s your desire. I could care less. I Just don’t understand why you give a shit if we want to drive easy?
It's not so much even whether you accelerate fast or slowly, it's your environment and how smart you drive. If you just look ahead you can plan for when you're going to have to speed up and slow down. Accelerating briskly to your speed and then maintaining it is going to return great mpg numbers. You can have a lot of fun and still beat EPA estimates.

Although if you live on a mountain you're just screwed no matter how you drive.

cricex

Badlands
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7L CG Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Who said I was worried about it? I just don't want to pay premium prices lol. Especially when I'm already getting 19mpg on regular.
I think a turbo'd engine (higher compression) would stand to benefit from higher octane, so its not like you're throwing away the difference between 87 & 93.

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Finally someone called me out on it lol

Actually not a ton of first hand experience, tbh. But I did tow a few heavy loads with my F150 inside the 1k mile break in and ended up with some random hard shifts common with the 10sp. Nothing horrible, but possibly could have been avoided.

In the end, better safe than sorry. I'd hate to create a long-term issue right out of the gate since I plan on keeping the bronco for many years.
Neither the engine or tranny need a break in. It's the rear diff that does but since you aren't towing with the Bronco it doesn't matter much. What the transmission needs is time to learn how you drive

calgecko

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chevy ZR2 Bison V6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's pretty stinking good! My '21 ZR2 Bison can get 19 average on the highway if I use cruise and keep it under 65... once I factor in my around-town driving, my overall is 16 mpg (it gets around 12-14 around town)... and heck, 415 miles until empty on a single tank? that's fantastic! can't wait to see how it goes as you get more miles on it

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

As long as you stay out of the passing lane we have no problems, save away.
Sponsored