Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm a BMW owner since 1987 when we bought our new E30. I have 4 BMWs in my fleet at the moment. Every BMW dealership I've been to for service, which is rare because I DIY, has tried to screw me worse than any Ford dealership I've had experience with. I've owned 4 different Fords over the years.

BMW is no customer-friendly outfit either. BMWs rank about the same in reliability as Fords do. E46 cracked rear subframes, cracked front strut towers on the Z8. E90 M3 SMG. Build quality of early Spartanburg E36 and Z3. X3 sunroof cassettes. I could go on...

Lol.
Dealerships haven’t been an issue for me over the past 18 years starting with Tom Williams in Birmingham, Global in Atlanta, and most recently United, who‘ve just been excellent for my past 3 purchases in last 7 years.

Sure, Bimmers aren’t the most reliable; no German autos seem to be and they’re all a bitch to fix and expensive as hell, but the dealer experience has been good for me.

Guess it’s just because I’m such a nice guy and awesome customer, because “me”! :ROFLMAO:
Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Dealerships haven’t been an issue for me over the past 18 years starting with Tom Williams in Birmingham, Global in Atlanta, and most recently United, who‘ve just been excellent for my past 3 purchases in last 7 years.

Sure, Bimmers aren’t the most reliable; no German autos seem to be and they’re all a bitch to fix and expensive as hell, but the dealer experience has been good for me.

Guess it’s just because I’m such a nice guy and awesome customer, because “me”! :ROFLMAO:
Well what broke me is BMW's programming of the N52 E90's CBS oil life monitor. It goes defunct after 186,000 miles. I was the first US customer to discover the phenomenon.

Then the F30 chassis, which they pulled from Buick, and now the G20 with no manual transmission option (?).

Give me a break. At least Ford still makes a Mustang...

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
I just passed 3000 miles on my Big Bend, which is a very basic rig with four cylinder engine and soft top. The good…..excellent road manners, drives incredibly smooth even at 90 plus mph, far superior to my 2016 Wrangler Rubicon, really no comparison. Even without lift or aggressive tires it handled off road in the Colorado mountains extremely well, even through some pretty rough and rocky trails.

The bad….only 18.3 mpg so far, although to be fair much of it is off road or at higher speeds than most (already got first speeding ticket as well) will drive. I am installing tube steps next week, my wife struggles to get in, the grab handles don’t seem to help, she is just five feet even.

The ugly…the soft top is a pain at best. When stowed all of the way, you lose entire visibility through rear mirror. Removed completely it would solve the problem, but then you wouldn’t have the top available. There is a ton of road noise as well as warm air circulating around the cabin. The three removable panels are a real pain to get back in place properly, easily as bad as the Wrangler soft top, which is a similar nightmare as well.

That’s about it, I have a second order confirmation from January, I plan to use it to buy the one I really wanted, which will be a hardtop six cylinder Sasquatch stick. I fully expect to wait until fall of 22 before I get it, and I also fully expect that I will find a buyer for my current Bronco (even with 30 k miles) at the $39 k price I paid.

I am doing the Off Roadeo in Austin next weekend, which should help me figure exactly how to configure my next order. I feel for all of you waiting for delivery, but trust me that you won’t be disappointed!

02275F8F-199E-4ED3-8DCB-352270373040.jpeg
Great review thanks! 18.7 MPG is pretty good for mixed off road and high speed driving, I'm lucky to get that in town with my 2WD 4cyl sedan.

karguy08

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I recently test drove a BD SASQ with soft top. Not at all what I expected. The soft was up so I can not speak to other configurations, but there was no drama with noise or visibility, none. Most of the drive was approximately 60 mph. Easy conversation noise level.
I too just test drove a 4dr wild track w/soft top. I was also surprised the rear visibility was so bad with the top folded down that I pulled over to check that it couldn’t be pushed down more.

I then put the top up for the ‘quiet’ experience, and though the windows weren’t the quickest thing to install, it was about what I expected. I was also pleasantly surprised with the noise level at highway speeds in both cases.

lastly, that 2.7 can move :) makes me happy to think that my manual 2.3 will be anywhere near it will make fort lots of smiles.

Sponsored

Yamahamer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In addition to those long and glorious 80mph stretches out in West Texas there is also an 85mph toll highway just east of Austin. (SH130)
Nevada and Utah are at 80 mph also...with most traffic moving faster than that!

'68'72'95'21

Badlands
First Name
J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hilarious with people posting MPG when they drive 80 and 90MpH 🤷
It probably doesn't matter much to Americans who pay what, $2.75 a gallon and think thats a lot, but you'll need FOUR times more power every time you double your speed...
Doesn't matter if it's 25/50MPH or 100/200MPH.... 4X as much.
$2.75! Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha..... that's more like, per 1/2 Gallon!

Dave_1978

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The ugly…the soft top is a pain at best. When stowed all of the way, you lose entire visibility through rear mirror. Removed completely it would solve the problem, but then you wouldn’t have the top available. There is a ton of road noise as well as warm air circulating around the cabin. The three removable panels are a real pain to get back in place properly, easily as bad as the Wrangler soft top, which is a similar nightmare as well.
I think they should have just used the reverse cam video feed as the rear view mirror.

Tunagates

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I just passed 3000 miles on my Big Bend, which is a very basic rig with four cylinder engine and soft top. The good…..excellent road manners, drives incredibly smooth even at 90 plus mph, far superior to my 2016 Wrangler Rubicon, really no comparison. Even without lift or aggressive tires it handled off road in the Colorado mountains extremely well, even through some pretty rough and rocky trails.

The bad….only 18.3 mpg so far, although to be fair much of it is off road or at higher speeds than most (already got first speeding ticket as well) will drive. I am installing tube steps next week, my wife struggles to get in, the grab handles don’t seem to help, she is just five feet even.

That’s about it, I have a second order confirmation from January, I plan to use it to buy the one I really wanted, which will be a hardtop six cylinder Sasquatch stick. I fully expect to wait until fall of 22 before I get it, and I also fully expect that I will find a buyer for my current Bronco (even with 30 k miles) at the $39 k price I paid.

I am doing the Off Roadeo in Austin next weekend, which should help me figure exactly how to configure my next order. I feel for all of you waiting for delivery, but trust me that you won’t be disappointed!

02275F8F-199E-4ED3-8DCB-352270373040.jpeg
Dude - im getting ~14.5 MPG…. (4door FE). Not sure why im getting less than most people - they said its the same highway or city.

steevenk

Black Diamond
First Name
kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 AWD Astro, '90 G20 Van, '14 Subaru Forester XT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Let’s say that you have a transmission at it is geared so that at 2,000 rpm you travel at 25mph in one gear and in a higher gear you are at 2,000 rpm but now going 50mph. That is how I am saying the transmission matters. I feel like you are looking at this from one point of view that has little bearing on real world performance (specifically fuel economy).

I also don’t know why you insult my intelligence in every post. That’s pretty low man.

Anyways, have a good one.
Fuel economy isn't the relevant metric. WuNgUn is talking about power per unit of fuel, not distance/fuel.

So, let's say you are traveling at 25 mph in a gear that puts your engine at 2000 RPM. If you shift to a gear that allows for 50 mph at 2000 RPM, then your engine will slow down to 1000 RPM immediately after that upshift. You then have to significantly increase the fuel to the engine to get it back up to 2000 RPM and ultimately 50 mph. Even as you tell others to look at the whole system, you seem to be ignoring this, and as such your simple example here provides no explanation as to why "the transmission matters" with respect to their initial comment.

Obviously one of the transmission's goals is to keep the engine firing as efficiently as possible, but in the real world where you are letting an AUTO shift normally and you are comparing fuel usage at different steady state velocities, the fuel savings from upshifting isn't nearly as significant as you are trying to imply.

In a manual transmission, you could purposefully choose gears and speeds that would result in significant fuel waste at lower wheel speeds compared to higher wheel speeds, but this wouldn't be what I would consider the "real world."

Sponsored

Black Bronco Convertible

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Website
amzn.to
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think one of the issues is they made the Bronco's beltline way too high leaving no room for visibility with a folded soft top, but opening and closing it won't be a pain anymore once aftermarket comes out with a powered soft top for the Bronco.

navi

Base
First Name
Navi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base

Ford Bronco 3000 miles in…good, bad and the ugly My Movie 26
How is the A/C?

jaspercasidino

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Fuel economy isn't the relevant metric. WuNgUn is talking about power per unit of fuel, not distance/fuel.

So, let's say you are traveling at 25 mph in a gear that puts your engine at 2000 RPM. If you shift to a gear that allows for 50 mph at 2000 RPM, then your engine will slow down to 1000 RPM immediately after that upshift. You then have to significantly increase the fuel to the engine to get it back up to 2000 RPM and ultimately 50 mph. Even as you tell others to look at the whole system, you seem to be ignoring this, and as such your simple example here provides no explanation as to why "the transmission matters" with respect to their initial comment.

Obviously one of the transmission's goals is to keep the engine firing as efficiently as possible, but in the real world where you are letting an AUTO shift normally and you are comparing fuel usage at different steady state velocities, the fuel savings from upshifting isn't nearly as significant as you are trying to imply.

In a manual transmission, you could purposefully choose gears and speeds that would result in significant fuel waste at lower wheel speeds compared to higher wheel speeds, but this wouldn't be what I would consider the "real world."
He changed his initial post from 2x speed is 4x fuel to 2x speed is 4x "power".

I say "power" because his use of "power" is wrong. He is discussing drag force. Power is Force x Velocity or P = Fd*v. If we only discuss Drag force (and neglect any other forces), then Fd = 1/2*rho*A*Cd*v^2 where rho is air density, A is cross sectional area, Cd is coefficient of drag and v is velocity. So Power, P = (1/2*rho*A*Cd*v^2)*v. Assuming that A, Cd and rho are constant between the 2 states, P ~ v^3. So power required for maintaining steady state at speed V2 = 2*V1 you get P2/P1 = (V2/V1)^3 = ((2*V1)/V1)^3 = 8 => P2 = 8*P1.

For anyone reading this, If you disagree with me, please be respectful in your reply.

edit: tagging @WuNgUn

Last edited:

leviticusw

Outer Banks
First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Genesis, Isuzu Trooper
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hilarious with people posting MPG when they drive 80 and 90MpH 🤷
It probably doesn't matter much to Americans who pay what, $2.75 a gallon and think thats a lot, but you'll need FOUR times more power every time you double your speed...
Doesn't matter if it's 25/50MPH or 100/200MPH.... 4X as much.
Where you guys buying gas at $2.75? I’ll drive there right now 😂
$4.00 here in SLC.

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD Offroad
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

OP:
"drives well at 90+ mph"

Also OP:
"Only gets 18.3 mpg ☹"

well I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too! Jk, thanks for the write up!
Sponsored