Sponsored

33's versus 35's

• Thread starter Deleted member
  • Start date
  • Watchers 9

Deleted member

I am going to apologize if this has been asked and answered already. I did search first; but came up with nothing that truly addressed my question.

I'm not certain I need the 35" tires that would come with the Sasquatch package. However, I do want front and rear lockers, would like the upgraded M210 frotn axle, and would probably appreciate the upgraded Bilsteins that come with the Sasquatch package. My vehicle budget really doesn't allow for a Badlands trim...I'm considering a Black Diamond with a few carefully selected options at best.

So, let's say the best configuration for me turns out to be a Base trim with the Sasquatch option. Now on to my question.

What, if any, effect (both pro and/or con) will changing the 35" tires that come with the Sasquatch to 33" tires have on the vehicle?
Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Changing from 35s to 33s on the Sasquatch with the 4.70s would reduce your fuel economy as the gearing would put the engine out of its sweet spot the engine would be running at higher RPMs in boost at highway speeds.. The truck would definitely get up and run through the gears but the fuel economy would suffer. It would look rather strange having an extra 1.2inches or lift but smaller tires.

I don’t see anything being gained going down in tire size unless saving $200 every 3-4 years on tire replacement is important to you.

Garbone

Big Bend
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1962 C10, 21 Mustang, 12 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I am going to apologize if this has been asked and answered already. I did search first; but came up with nothing that truly addressed my question.

I'm not certain I need the 35" tires that would come with the Sasquatch package. However, I do want front and rear lockers, would like the upgraded M210 frotn axle, and would probably appreciate the upgraded Bilsteins that come with the Sasquatch package. My vehicle budget really doesn't allow for a Badlands trim...I'm considering a Black Diamond with a few carefully selected options at best.

So, let's say the best configuration for me turns out to be a Base trim with the Sasquatch option. Now on to my question.

What, if any, effect (both pro and/or con) will changing the 35" tires that come with the Sasquatch to 33" tires have on the vehicle?
Not a bad idea, may be able to get them traded for 33s for free.

OP
OP

Deleted member

@NCOBX, a quick follow-up question then.

Are you saying that a Badlands with the same gearing and 33" tires will get worse fuel economy than Base with Sasquatch?

The only two differences I can find are the transfer case gear ratio (due to the different 4wd systems) and the stabilizer bar disconnect.

I thought, perhaps mistakenly, fuel economy would get worse with a larger tire. Please help me understand.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base

Are you saying that a Badlands with the same gearing and 33" tires will get worse fuel economy than Base with Sasquatch?

The only two differences I can find are the transfer case gear ratio (due to the different 4wd systems) and the stabilizer bar disconnect.

I thought, perhaps mistakenly, fuel economy would get worse with a larger tire. Please help me understand.
Badlands non-Sas is 4.27 gearing iirc, running 33s on those would be fine.

Sas base(or any trim) is 4.70 with the 35s.

Speaking with linearity they skip the 4.46 gearing that’s available to go up two notches to 4.70. That’s not only overcoming the added diameter and weight, that’s adding some performance to the whole package.

Moving up tire sizes will decrease the RPM the engine turns for any given speed.(and visa versa)

Moving to Steeper gears will Increase the RPM the engine runs at any given speed (and Visa Versa)

So going to the steepest gear set, and then Decreasing tire sizes means your effectively increasing your gearing. I don’t have a calculator handy but your effective gear ratio is close to 4.9X at that point.

Gearing has a sweet spot where not enough means bad fuel economy, and too much also means bad fuel economy.

Last edited:

Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base

Speaking with linearity they skip the 4.46 gearing that’s available to go up two notches to 4.70. That’s not only overcoming the added and weight that’s adding some performance to the whole package.

Moving up tire sizes will decrease the RPM the engine turns for any given speed.(and visa versa)

Moving to Steeper gears will Increase the RPM the engine runs at any given speed (and Visa Versa)

So going to the steepest gear set, and then Decreasing tire sizes means your effectively increasing your gearing. I don’t have a calculator handy but your effective gear ratio is close to 4.9X at that point.

Gearing has a sweet spot where not enough means bad fuel economy, and too much also means bad fuel economy.
Unless of course I’m mistaken on gearing. Though I can’t imagine using 4.70 gearing to spin 33s.

Markubis

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus, Ford Ranger XLT, Can Am Ryker
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm getting the Outer Banks and that comes with 32 inchers on 18's. I'm wondering if I will be able to configure the Badlands rims and 33's onto it when I build it.

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Mpg will be worse with Sasquatch because the tires are much wider

It's aerodynamics, more crap to push though the air and that costs fuel

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Are you doing 7MT or 10AT?

With 7MT you get the crawl ratio of the Badlands and the lockers, etc.

For the 10AT, Ford seems to be carefully adjusting the gearing to tire size to optimize fuel efficiency (so you’d have a 4.7 when a 4.46 would be the right choice)

Sponsored
OP
OP

Deleted member

@Dads_bronze_bronco, I'm not sure which way I'm going as far as manual transmission or automatic transmission. There are pros and cons to each option; ultimately, I think the option is going to be made based on how I configure the vehicle.

For purposes of my question, compare the Badlands 7MT with the Base plus Sasquatch 10AT. Both have a 4.7:1 final drive ratio; the only differences in the drivetrain being the transfer case ratio and the individual gears associated with the transmission itself.

With both I would have the same axles front and rear, the same lockers, and nearly the same suspension...small differences.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

@Dads_bronze_bronco, I'm not sure which way I'm going as far as manual transmission or automatic transmission. There are pros and cons to each option; ultimately, I think the option is going to be made based on how I configure the vehicle.

For purposes of my question, compare the Badlands 7MT with the Base plus Sasquatch 10AT. Both have a 4.7:1 final drive ratio; the only differences in the drivetrain being the transfer case ratio and the individual gears associated with the transmission itself.

With both I would have the same axles front and rear, the same lockers, and nearly the same suspension...small differences.
You’ll probably drive in 6th gear more with the 33’s. Fuel mileage may be a little better (1/2mpg ?‍♂ ), and you’ll get less wandering/tire balancing headaches and better suspension and steering part wear. Tires will be $50 less per corner, and your wife will complain less about the 1” lower height.

OP
OP

Deleted member

Thank you very much. I really appreciate the info. One last question: will there be any issue putting a 285/70-17 on the 8.5" wide wheel of the Sasquatch?

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Thank you very much. I really appreciate the info. One last question: will there be any issue putting a 285/70-17 on the 8.5" wide wheel of the Sasquatch?
I had them on 17x8.5’s on my Jeep before putting 295/70R17s on. Will work just fine.

In fact the specs on Tire Rack are measured based on an 8.5" wide rim.

Last edited:

Randy92Fox

Base
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Half Cab, 7.3 Powerstroke, 5.0 Convertible Fox
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Speaking with linearity they skip the 4.46 gearing that’s available to go up two notches to 4.70. That’s not only overcoming the added and weight that’s adding some performance to the whole package.

Fantastic explanation! I have considered making this point in response to many of the posts regarding tire size and mpg but opted out because I couldn't articulate my explanation this well.
Sponsored