Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Badlands 2D, 22 BD 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I decided (for now) to go with LT285/75R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Here's why.

With 34" Hight, you almost get the same look as with the 35's, but I have found them to not be as hard on gas. (I had 33's, 35's and 34's on F150's) And I found the 34's to be the best all rounder. Although I do like the look of a wide tire, I prefer the drive of a skinnier one.

As I live in canada, tall and narrow is better in the snow, and will be good for airing down and giving my a good footprint with great clearance.

Also, I work at a dealership where we lift trucks and experiment with different tire sizes for rubbing/with no lift/etc. I know with most trucks you can go up an inch in size to almost an inch and a half with no rubbing without a lift, as long as you don't go wider.

So, I feel confident that 285/75R17's will fit on a stock Bronco. Worst case scenario I'll need to add 1/4 inch spacers

Ford Bronco 34"s the perfect size? ridge-side-two

Also, going with the Ridge Grappler as it is a Hybrid between a Mud Terrain and an All Terrain. Being in Canada, I should be switching to winter tires in the winter..... but, I think these will do fine if I drive carefully.

Here's the size comparison with a Stock Badlands. (I won't have a problem selling the stock tires) If anyone is in the Maritimes and wants the stock 33 Badland tires PM me and we can work something out.

Ford Bronco 34"s the perfect size? ridge grappler size.JPG

Last thing. I'm ordering these tires now, so I can pay them off before my bronco arrives. As I will be broke AF once I buy it, lol.
Sponsored

Stimpy

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m thinking the same thing. I’m debating between upgrading when the 33s ware out or get them right away.

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
So I decided (for now) to go with LT285/75R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Here's why.

With 34" Hight, you almost get the same look as with the 35's, but I have found them to not be as hard on gas. (I had 33's, 35's and 34's on F150's) And I found the 34's to be the best all rounder. Although I do like the look of a wide tire, I prefer the drive of a skinnier one.

As I live in canada, tall and narrow is better in the snow, and will be good for airing down and giving my a good footprint with great clearance.

Also, I work at a dealership where we lift trucks and experiment with different tire sizes for rubbing/with no lift/etc. I know with most trucks you can go up an inch in size to almost an inch and a half with no rubbing without a lift, as long as you don't go wider.

So, I feel confident that 285/75R17's will fit on a stock Bronco. Worst case scenario I'll need to add 1/4 inch spacers

Also, going with the Ridge Grappler as it is a Hybrid between a Mud Terrain and an All Terrain. Being in Canada, I should be switching to winter tires in the winter..... but, I think these will do fine if I drive carefully.

Here's the size comparison with a Stock Badlands. (I won't have a problem selling the stock tires) If anyone is in the Maritimes and wants the stock 33 Badland tires PM me and we can work something out.

Last thing. I'm ordering these tires now, so I can pay them off before my bronco arrives. As I will be broke AF once I buy it, lol.
I like this idea. Been wondering about 285/75s. Maybe when my stock Badlands tires wear out?

Mountain Bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Full size GM SUV
Your Bronco Model
Base

ridge-side-two.png

ridge grappler size.JPG

You have a lot of great points. My comments below are regarding a 4 door.

I have really been struggling with tire size on this vehicle. Especially, because we have to commit to a trim level with so many unknowns. Also, not even seeing the Bronco in person.

I think SQ looks good and well proportioned. It is just a ton of tire for my needs. 35's are big heavy tires and not the best in snow. Also, I keep my vehicles for a long time. I am worried about unnecessary wear on drive train and brakes.

I have not been happy with the look of 32's on non sq's. I thought the 265 70 on the BD would look ok. After seeing real pics, I actually think the 255 75 on the BB looks better.

For my use 285's are perfect. It is what I current have on my vehicle. So I move on to BL. The recent pics have so much wheel / fender gap, it is almost like the body is on stilts. For some in the rock crawling crowd this articulation is probably great.

I would love some clarity on fitting 285's on a BB or BD. It probably would look great. It just bothers me paying $45,000 plus for a new vehicle and immediately change parts. Parts that might not even fit, not recommended on axle (Ford only has 285's on the upgraded front end) and change speedo.

Sorry for the rant but I am want to make the vehicle work best for me.

Sponsored

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Ram Rebel. Previously 2 wranglers and 4 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Same line of thinking I’ve been going with.... good size without having to modify too much. Leaning towards either the 285/75 or 295/70, main thing I’m looking at is rubbing, so I’ll wait until I order, but I like where you’re head is at.

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Same line of thinking I’ve been going with.... good size without having to modify too much. Leaning towards either the 285/75 or 295/70, main thing I’m looking at is rubbing, so I’ll wait until I order, but I like where you’re head is at.
I’ve been looking at the Mastercraft Courser CXT, they have both sizes available and are a close match to the territory style “Multi terrain” tread pattern. We have the Cooper ATP (near identical to the cxt) on the wife’s Rebel and have had amazing luck with them so far. Over 30k on them and better than half tread left.

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base

A great tire size choice!

Nitto has two Ridge Grapplers in that size.
If you are getting a 2D, or a light 4D ( no towing or full skid plate set & bumpers), I'd reccomend getting the C rated ones.
The C rated are softer riding than the pickup/heavy SUV D rated ones.

Petey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m going BD and getting the stock steelies. Unfortunately I think the grabbers looks a bit tame on the steelies so I’ll be upgrading to a set of Federal Xplora Hybrid AT/MT tires.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254760933358

they are 33” but I think will look solid on that vehicle.

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m going BD and getting the stock steelies. Unfortunately I think the grabbers looks a bit tame on the steelies so I’ll be upgrading to a set of Federal Xplora Hybrid AT/MT tires.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254760933358

they are 33” but I think will look solid on that vehicle.
Have you ever had a set of federals? They wear horrible and ride just as bad. I’ve got them on my Jeep now (came with the Jeep) and I cannot stand them. Just a testimonial from someone who’s had them. I had way better luck with the Mastercrafts. Good tread wear, traction and around the same pricing.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JAC

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Toyota Tundra; 2020 Acura RDX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice idea! I like the Nitro's, I have ridge grappler's on my tundra 285/65r18. They have been great. Will likely go back to them once stock tires wear out.

Petey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have you ever had a set of federals? They wear horrible and ride just as bad. I’ve got them on my Jeep now (came with the Jeep) and I cannot stand them. Just a testimonial from someone who’s had them. I had way better luck with the Mastercrafts. Good tread wear, traction and around the same pricing.
Dang! I was reading good reviews about those too. Does anybody have a better suggestion for tires? Should I just stick with the Grabbers and see how they perform? I may do that and just jump from the steelies to the aluminums. I can also buy some steelies later if I want them.

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We run the twin to the cxt (cooper discoverer ATP) on the wife’s Rebel. Here’s treadwear front and rear after 31,000 miles.
Ford Bronco 34"s the perfect size? B61799B8-7569-4CF8-B171-EA7911F25EE1
Ford Bronco 34"s the perfect size? FA7B9F6E-AA55-4008-9F48-50B926F8E6CE

peterh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler jlu 2018
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

i asked on another thread and one person offered an opinion, but would like to hear from as many as possible on this question - what would be the best gearing for the 285/75/17? in other words, for best performance would one need to go with the 4.7 (meaning squatch, then downsize)?
Sponsored