Razor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
YUP.

Terminal velocity with a box. That's my highly technical explanation. I have the optional 4.27 gears w/ 2.3 (I knew I was going 35s). 2 door. Speedo was corrected by me (Forscan) and it is dead nuts accurate w/ GPS.

60mph speed limit - cruise set at 67-69mph - it gets surprisingly good gas mileage.
65mph speed limit - cruise set at 72-74mph - not horrible
70mph speed limit - cruise set at 77-79mph - ignore it, turn up the radio and convince myself I need to stop for a drink anyway when I need to get gas because of the tiny gas tank.

Guess I'm spoiled by my '12 F150 FX4 5.0 - it has a 36? gallon tank. Almost 600 miles on tank of gas at Interstate speeds. But of course filling it up makes me cry.
I was getting under 240 miles per tank. many of the miles were also over 5000' and above 80 mph.

OP
OP
Razorbc

Razorbc

Outer Banks
First Name
Razor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks for the review (although I'm more interested in those CJs). :)

I assume your CJ hardtop is not delaminating, my 1985 is faded but otherwise fine. How is your Bronco hardtop in terms of the edges and overall quality, have the prior issues been resolved?
I just bought these 2, I have a habit of buying and bringing back to life. I am not sure on the hardtop yet. I just finished a 1984 and the top needed only a little work.

laredo 24.JPG

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

YUP.

Terminal velocity with a box. That's my highly technical explanation. I have the optional 4.27 gears w/ 2.3 (I knew I was going 35s). 2 door. Speedo was corrected by me (Forscan) and it is dead nuts accurate w/ GPS.

60mph speed limit - cruise set at 67-69mph - it gets surprisingly good gas mileage.
65mph speed limit - cruise set at 72-74mph - not horrible
70mph speed limit - cruise set at 77-79mph - ignore it, turn up the radio and convince myself I need to stop for a drink anyway when I need to get gas because of the tiny gas tank.

Guess I'm spoiled by my '12 F150 FX4 5.0 - it has a 36? gallon tank. Almost 600 miles on tank of gas at Interstate speeds. But of course filling it up makes me cry.
All that is true for me. I've averaged 20mpg over 11,500 combined miles on a 4dr OBX with 4.27 axles and 32" stock tires. These cars are geared down, so you're running 2,200-2,300 RPM at 75+mph, MPG will suffer. As you point out, my F150 had 3.55 axles and got better MPG at 70-80 MPG (23+) than my Bronco. My Bronco sweet spot is 65mph at 1900RPM and 23.5 MPG

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Strongly considering one if them 4dr school buses once the order que clears out a bit.

Fwiw, I went base Base just to learn what this rig is like and what I may want to do differently for "the next one".
I'm currently really liking the idea of a 4dr Black Diamond, either motor, non-Squatch, auto.
This has been noted. Penance will be necessary for you in the big chat to avoid getting booted.

You know the rules.

Fastback7

Big Bend
First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 f250 diesel
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

On Road Review

Well, what can I say.....I took my brand new 2022 2dr 2.3L 10 spd Badlands for a little spin to really see what she can do. I might say I am thoroughly impressed with its on road performance. Picked it up Saturday and packed up and went away for a week of fun.

If you need to use the back seats, I would not get a 2 door, very awkward to get in especially if you are not small.

Engine-More than enough power over the many mountain passes.
Suspension-Firm, but not harsh in the least, steering feel is great
Comfort-Back didn't hurt, easy in and out, Great seats and seating position. Wish the seat was able to be a little more flat from butt to knees.
Fuel-Drank the fuel over the passes. I drove average on the freeway between 70-80mph 16.4 average over 3600 miles.
Fuel tank-Way to small, don't know what the size is but I want more capacity.
Brakes-This is my only negative. Felt like I needed more stopping power, will be addressing!

Parts on order- Mirror mounted Ford Performance Lights, Side Steps, Grab Handles, Brush Bar and going to order a soft top.

I had one on order and it never showed up so I saw this on a lot and picked it up.

Lets Compare
Engine - Bronco, better than the 4 and 6cyl Jeep
Comfort - Bronco
Brakes - Jeep
Lighting - Bronco
Suspension - Bronco
Cool Factor - Bronco
Wow Factor - Bronco
The feeling to conquer - Jeep, Just feels like it is invincible,

Overall - Bronco, This thing kicks ass.

Next up will be a planned off-road adventure to compare both off road.

I've owned upwards of 20 Jeeps and currently have 3, a 2021 Rubicon Extreme Recon, 1986 CJ7 Laredo and a 1983 CJ7 Limited.

Road travelled mostly I-5 and Hwy 325 and 139
Vancouver to Portland
Portland to San Francisco
San Francisco to LA
LA to Las Vegas
Las Vegas to Reno
Reno to Vancouver
3621 Miles
Averaged 16.4 Miles to the gallon

Ford Bronco 3500 miles in 7 days. 'My Impressions" and Comparisons (from a 20+ Jeeps veteran) laredo 24.JPG

Ford Bronco 3500 miles in 7 days. 'My Impressions" and Comparisons (from a 20+ Jeeps veteran) laredo 24.JPG

Love the renegade

AZ_BRONC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘17 4Runner, ‘16 BMW 328i, ‘96 Stang GT, ‘19 Mini
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Awesome trip!

I give a ton of weight to your impressions in the Jeep vs Bronco debate, as you’ve owned so many Jeeps. I’ve had Wranglers, 4Runners and 2 old Broncos back in the day. I’m a bit shocked you handed brakes to the Jeep! Braking hard in my Wranglers was terrifying, with shudder, front end dip and steering alignment.

OP
OP
Razorbc

Razorbc

Outer Banks
First Name
Razor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Awesome trip!

I give a ton of weight to your impressions in the Jeep vs Bronco debate, as you’ve owned so many Jeeps. I’ve had Wranglers, 4Runners and 2 old Broncos back in the day. I’m a bit shocked you handed brakes to the Jeep! Braking hard in my Wranglers was terrifying, with shudder, front end dip and steering alignment.
One part of the extreme recon jeep package is upgraded brakes, they are really good.

Okinawajoe

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302, 2013 Focus ST, 2004 F-250 4x4 diese
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Glad you like it. I had ordered a 2dr Badlands 2.3 stick as well, but gave up the order and bought a Ranger, couldn't wait any longer. Same engine but auto. So far mileage has been positively surprising. I got 28 mpg hwy on a trip, average 20-21 around town, and 17 towing about 3,000 lbs. It's a great engine that does a great job working when needed. Maybe in the future I'll try again, I've owned both old Bronco models and loved them. But I'm very happy with my purchase, I'll mod my Ranger for a little better off road ability.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Razorbc

Razorbc

Outer Banks
First Name
Razor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Glad you like it. I had ordered a 2dr Badlands 2.3 stick as well, but gave up the order and bought a Ranger, couldn't wait any longer. Same engine but auto. So far mileage has been positively surprising. I got 28 mpg hwy on a trip, average 20-21 around town, and 17 towing about 3,000 lbs. It's a great engine that does a great job working when needed. Maybe in the future I'll try again, I've owned both old Bronco models and loved them. But I'm very happy with my purchase, I'll mod my Ranger for a little better off road ability.
I had an order as well and gave it up and just found one on a lot.

Landoom

Badlands
First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.avarieaerials.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands 2 Dr with Sasquatch & LUX. VB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Honestly I think a lot of the "complaints" about the Bronco come from people who haven't driven true off road capable trucks / SUVs. I'm still kind of amazed how good the Bronco drives - and that's after I added 35s. I've owned Jeeps, Broncos (my son drives a 6" lifted 35" tire 1995 we went through), K5s, square body Chevys (still have a '85 GMC K1500 short bed) etc.

A friend of mine drove our Bronco recently. Hardcore Jeep owner. He's now convinced his wife so I'm helping them try to hunt down a 4 door with the options they want to replace their current SUV.

I never expected gas mileage to be great. It's a box with wheels. I'm just aggravated by the tiny 2 door gas tank. When I can get a 4 door next to mine so I can crawl under it, I'm going to see if it's feasible to retrofit the 4 door gas tank without major surgery. If not, I can almost guarantee somewhere, someone is working on an aftermarket tank.
I agree 100%. I had a 2000 TJ with the gutless 4 banger that I drove around for 10 years before getting my current 2007 JKUR 10 years ago. I had an '85 K5 Blazer and '76 Scout before that. The ride quality and power of the Bronco far exceeds that of any of my Jeeps. I personally didn't notice the Bronco being particularly loud in comparison to my Jeeps.
I don't see anything to complain about with the Bronco other than supply.

centra28

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

you've got some awesome Jeeps! The Bronco isn't half bad either :cool:

Cbiggs

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ, 94 YJ, 04 JK, 17 Taco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great review. Very relatable. I grew up on Jeep’s too and think you nailed it.
85 CJ, 94 YJ (POS 🤣), 04 TJ
thanks for sharing

Last edited:

HotRod76

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great review. As already stated, we need more reviews like this. Very honest and straight forward but remains positive (in demeanor) and objective even when encountering aspects of the vehicle that could be better. Thanks so much for the thought you put into this. Thrilled that you like it!
Sponsored