Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22/23 Bronco, 96 EB Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Excellent info, thanks for sharing. Just a note on my experience with fuel mileage. I have noticed a big drop when traveling over 70 mph. On a recent trip to Moab, we averaged almost 26 mpg on our way back to Utah county. I kept my foot out of it and tried to keep the speed down to 65 mph. This is with our 2.7 4-door Badlands.

Moab Fuel Mileage.jpg

YUP.

Terminal velocity with a box. That's my highly technical explanation. I have the optional 4.27 gears w/ 2.3 (I knew I was going 35s). 2 door. Speedo was corrected by me (Forscan) and it is dead nuts accurate w/ GPS.

60mph speed limit - cruise set at 67-69mph - it gets surprisingly good gas mileage.
65mph speed limit - cruise set at 72-74mph - not horrible
70mph speed limit - cruise set at 77-79mph - ignore it, turn up the radio and convince myself I need to stop for a drink anyway when I need to get gas because of the tiny gas tank.

Guess I'm spoiled by my '12 F150 FX4 5.0 - it has a 36? gallon tank. Almost 600 miles on tank of gas at Interstate speeds. But of course filling it up makes me cry.
Sponsored

Markco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

On Road Review

Well, what can I say.....I took my brand new 2022 2dr 2.3L 10 spd Badlands for a little spin to really see what she can do. I might say I am thoroughly impressed with its on road performance. Picked it up Saturday and packed up and went away for a week of fun.

If you need to use the back seats, I would not get a 2 door, very awkward to get in especially if you are not small.

Engine-More than enough power over the many mountain passes.
Suspension-Firm, but not harsh in the least, steering feel is great
Comfort-Back didn't hurt, easy in and out, Great seats and seating position. Wish the seat was able to be a little more flat from butt to knees.
Fuel-Drank the fuel over the passes. I drove average on the freeway between 70-80mph 16.4 average over 3600 miles.
Fuel tank-Way to small, don't know what the size is but I want more capacity.
Brakes-This is my only negative. Felt like I needed more stopping power, will be addressing!

Parts on order- Mirror mounted Ford Performance Lights, Side Steps, Grab Handles, Brush Bar and going to order a soft top.

I had one on order and it never showed up so I saw this on a lot and picked it up.

Lets Compare
Engine - Bronco, better than the 4 and 6cyl Jeep
Comfort - Bronco
Brakes - Jeep
Lighting - Bronco
Suspension - Bronco
Cool Factor - Bronco
Wow Factor - Bronco
The feeling to conquer - Jeep, Just feels like it is invincible,

Overall - Bronco, This thing kicks ass.

Next up will be a planned off-road adventure to compare both off road.

I've owned upwards of 20 Jeeps and currently have 3, a 2021 Rubicon Extreme Recon, 1986 CJ7 Laredo and a 1983 CJ7 Limited.

Road travelled mostly I-5 and Hwy 325 and 139
Vancouver to Portland
Portland to San Francisco
San Francisco to LA
LA to Las Vegas
Las Vegas to Reno
Reno to Vancouver
3621 Miles
Averaged 16.4 Miles to the gallon

IMG_2766.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

1986 Jeep.jpg

IMG_2526.jpg
Nice review, just a heads up my 2dr 2.3 BD averages about 21 mpg but doing 65 and at sea level mixed city/highway driving. On long highway trips 24-25 ish.

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I agree with your assessment on pretty much every aspect except the engines. I have a 2.3 Badlands 6-speed and a '20 JLU Willys 2.0. I love both of them and I think the Bronco is overall the better vehicle for me, mostly because of the much more comfortable seats and much better road manners. My Willys has the upgraded Rubicon brakes, which I think feel significantly better than the Bronco brakes. I definitely prefer the 2.0 in the Jeep to the 2.3. The Jeep feels MUCH quicker and also gets significantly better gas mileage, especially on trips. I get 18 in the Bronco, maybe 19 to 20 on long highway trips. The Jeep gets about 25mpg on the highway. Can you elaborate on your thoughts on the engines? Thanks for the great review!
Serious question - have you tried Sport mode? With 35s and 4.27s - the 2.3 in our 2 dr BB in Sport mode is actually fun to drive. I wish I had gotten a manual, but this is technically my wife's DD so no clutch pedal - her money, her choice.

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Since I have driven nothing but 3/4 and 1 ton for the last 20 years... the brakes on by Bronco nearly throws me thru the windshield for the first few weeks...
Our '22 seems to have a "long, soft" pedal - but braking is outstanding. And I'm coming from a '19 GT w/ upgraded brakes - so it had good brakes.

Sponsored

Rcarpen22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excursion 7.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
FORSCAN

Seriously - takes a few minutes and it's done.
Honestly, I don't care about the power. It's the Jeep's fuel economy I wish I could replicate in the Bronco. I drive the Bronco pretty easy on the road. I also had an engine failure in my first Bronco, so I'm not doing anything that may jeopardize my warranty. I know FORSCAN is reversible, but just not worth the trouble to me. Now getting rid of the stupid double honk...

8cam

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I never expected gas mileage to be great. It's a box with wheels. I'm just aggravated by the tiny 2 door gas tank. When I can get a 4 door next to mine so I can crawl under it, I'm going to see if it's feasible to retrofit the 4 door gas tank without major surgery. If not, I can almost guarantee somewhere, someone is working on an aftermarket tank.
I might ping Long Range Tanks. They make them for Jeeps, I'll bet they are looking into the Bronco. I had one of their 40 gallon tanks in my old Land Cruiser and it was great. Long runs between fillups, and no need for jerry cans on the trail.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FORSCAN

Seriously - takes a few minutes and it's done.
FORSCAN can also correct the speedo, etc for the larger tires!

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
On Road Review

Well, what can I say.....I took my brand new 2022 2dr 2.3L 10 spd Badlands for a little spin to really see what she can do. I might say I am thoroughly impressed with its on road performance. Picked it up Saturday and packed up and went away for a week of fun.

If you need to use the back seats, I would not get a 2 door, very awkward to get in especially if you are not small.

Engine-More than enough power over the many mountain passes.
Suspension-Firm, but not harsh in the least, steering feel is great
Comfort-Back didn't hurt, easy in and out, Great seats and seating position. Wish the seat was able to be a little more flat from butt to knees.
Fuel-Drank the fuel over the passes. I drove average on the freeway between 70-80mph 16.4 average over 3600 miles.
Fuel tank-Way to small, don't know what the size is but I want more capacity.
Brakes-This is my only negative. Felt like I needed more stopping power, will be addressing!

Parts on order- Mirror mounted Ford Performance Lights, Side Steps, Grab Handles, Brush Bar and going to order a soft top.

I had one on order and it never showed up so I saw this on a lot and picked it up.

Lets Compare
Engine - Bronco, better than the 4 and 6cyl Jeep
Comfort - Bronco
Brakes - Jeep
Lighting - Bronco
Suspension - Bronco
Cool Factor - Bronco
Wow Factor - Bronco
The feeling to conquer - Jeep, Just feels like it is invincible,

Overall - Bronco, This thing kicks ass.

Next up will be a planned off-road adventure to compare both off road.

I've owned upwards of 20 Jeeps and currently have 3, a 2021 Rubicon Extreme Recon, 1986 CJ7 Laredo and a 1983 CJ7 Limited.

Road travelled mostly I-5 and Hwy 325 and 139
Vancouver to Portland
Portland to San Francisco
San Francisco to LA
LA to Las Vegas
Las Vegas to Reno
Reno to Vancouver
3621 Miles
Averaged 16.4 Miles to the gallon

IMG_2766.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

1986 Jeep.jpg

IMG_2526.jpg
Thanks for the review (although I'm more interested in those CJs). :)

I assume your CJ hardtop is not delaminating, my 1985 is faded but otherwise fine. How is your Bronco hardtop in terms of the edges and overall quality, have the prior issues been resolved?

OP
OP
Razorbc

Razorbc

Outer Banks
First Name
Razor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Nice review, just a heads up my 2dr 2.3 BD averages about 21 mpg but doing 65 and at sea level mixed city/highway driving. On long highway trips 24-25 ish.
I would bet I was averaging 81 ish on the freeway and much of it above 5000’ but even some fills I couldn’t get above 18

AJKitebrder40

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Badlands 2D SAS, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Razor - I liked this, I'm in the same boat (although still debating taking order on my Bronco if/when it's finally built - 5/21 reservation - so late to the party). I've had a XJ, JK, JLU and at least on the JLU (which is a Rubicon) I find it handles and is comfortable to drive, but that may be only because of what I have to compare it to.

My main issue is the last part, I've already taken that JLU into some tough spots and it's rock solid. That and I don't have a good winter/summer top solution until Bronco comes out with a header-style bikini top. I need a hard top/racks for the winter for surfboards/equipment, run bikini top/nothing in the summer, but need rain protection.

BroncoB

First Edition
First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Excellent info, thanks for sharing. Just a note on my experience with fuel mileage. I have noticed a big drop when traveling over 70 mph. On a recent trip to Moab, we averaged almost 26 mpg on our way back to Utah county. I kept my foot out of it and tried to keep the speed down to 65 mph. This is with our 2.7 4-door Badlands.

Moab Fuel Mileage.jpg
That’s pretty good. The 16.4mpg seems low. I usually stay under 65 on the highway. I’m getting 19.3 combined in my 2.3 auto 2 door (that’s what the computer tells me).

OP
OP
Razorbc

Razorbc

Outer Banks
First Name
Razor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Not trying to be an ass honestly I felt same way about seat but pumped it up all the way know it feels good đź‘Ť
I have a long body so if I pump it up I cannot see stop lights
Sponsored