Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I might ping Long Range Tanks. They make them for Jeeps, I'll bet they are looking into the Bronco. I had one of their 40 gallon tanks in my old Land Cruiser and it was great. Long runs between fillups, and no need for jerry cans on the trail.
I spoke to them, and they said nothing in the works for Bronco at this time -well, as of 4 weeks ago.
Sponsored

RalBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just here to say that those old Jeeps are SICK.

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch 2022 Willys Xtreme Recon
Your Bronco Model
Base
OP. Why you think the 2.3 in the Bronco is better then the Jeeps 2.0? On paper Ford has the 2.3 rated with more power but in real world testing the Jeeps 2.0 beats it in 0-60 and in the 1/4 mile. I'm thinking Jeep is under rating the 2.0T by alot.

OP
OP
Razorbc

Razorbc

Outer Banks
First Name
Razor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I do not know who is faster. If I am going for speed I do not pick up the keys to the jeep or the Bronco.

I do know who is smoother. has zero turbo lag, is not as whiny and does not sound stupid parked or stopped at a light. Its not an even close test other than as you say maybe the jeep could be faster?

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

had Ford not offered the Sasquatch package, the Extreme Recon may never have existed. Ford has forced Jeep to step up their game. Also I agree with almost every one of your statements, I still have my JK and it does feel invincible, but other than that, Bronco kicks it’s ass.
My JKUR is invincible except when it needs more oil - which is about every 1500 miles …

(tried everything: a 2007/8 3.8 running 195° is effectively a diesel or at the very least a two stroke)

Sponsored

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22/23 Bronco, 96 EB Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My JKUR is invincible except when it needs more oil - which is about every 1500 miles …

(tried everything: a 2007/8 3.8 running 195° is effectively a diesel or at the very least a two stroke)

My buddy has a Jeep Wrangler, last year of the inline 6 ('05? 06? Can't remember off hand) with a 5 speed manual. 200K miles Plus - I say "plus" because the cluster / odometer died and he found a used one. His wife has tried to get him to get a newer model, he refuses.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

My buddy has a Jeep Wrangler, last year of the inline 6 ('05? 06? Can't remember off hand) with a 5 speed manual. 200K miles Plus - I say "plus" because the cluster / odometer died and he found a used one. His wife has tried to get him to get a newer model, he refuses.
If it is a Rubicon, or even better an LJ Rubicon it would stay in my driveway too. AND I'd get a Bronco.

I had two cars ('71 240z, and 84' 911) I wish I still had, and the JKUR will be the third I am sure. Past time to move on, but what a great family-with-three-boys adventure vehicle it has been.

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22/23 Bronco, 96 EB Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If it is a Rubicon, or even better an LJ Rubicon it would stay in my driveway too. AND I'd get a Bronco.

I had two cars ('71 240z, and 84' 911) I wish I still had, and the JKUR will be the third I am sure. Past time to move on, but what a great family-with-three-boys adventure vehicle it has been.
Meh - I've had too many cars I wish I still had. I fixed up / sold / traded a bunch of cars over the years.

(2) 240Zs and (1) 260Z - none of them were rusted. All West Coast cars. 260Z got a LT1 Chevy and 6 speed manual swap. Sold to a guy for what I thought was WAY too much money (didn't want to sell - but at that offer - SOLD).

69 Buick GS400 Convertible 4 speed car. Rusted SO BAD it was pathetic. But it ran and drove and was all original. Made a good chunk of money from a shop that specialized in the Buick GS cars.

67 Chevelle SS396 4 speed - my first car. Enough said.

(2) different FJ40s. Both I bought and swapped in small blocks Chevys. Both were solid. At the time (20 years ago) couldn't believe the price I got for them. Now? Jeez.

Out of all the 4x4s - I really want another Scout II or another 69-72 K5. Yeah, I ain't holding my breath.

MaxtheMonster

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
On Road Review

Well, what can I say.....I took my brand new 2022 2dr 2.3L 10 spd Badlands for a little spin to really see what she can do. I might say I am thoroughly impressed with its on road performance. Picked it up Saturday and packed up and went away for a week of fun.

If you need to use the back seats, I would not get a 2 door, very awkward to get in especially if you are not small.

Engine-More than enough power over the many mountain passes.
Suspension-Firm, but not harsh in the least, steering feel is great
Comfort-Back didn't hurt, easy in and out, Great seats and seating position. Wish the seat was able to be a little more flat from butt to knees.
Fuel-Drank the fuel over the passes. I drove average on the freeway between 70-80mph 16.4 average over 3600 miles.
Fuel tank-Way to small, don't know what the size is but I want more capacity.
Brakes-This is my only negative. Felt like I needed more stopping power, will be addressing!

Parts on order- Mirror mounted Ford Performance Lights, Side Steps, Grab Handles, Brush Bar and going to order a soft top.

I had one on order and it never showed up so I saw this on a lot and picked it up.

Lets Compare
Engine - Bronco, better than the 4 and 6cyl Jeep
Comfort - Bronco
Brakes - Jeep
Lighting - Bronco
Suspension - Bronco
Cool Factor - Bronco
Wow Factor - Bronco
The feeling to conquer - Jeep, Just feels like it is invincible,

Overall - Bronco, This thing kicks ass.

Next up will be a planned off-road adventure to compare both off road.

I've owned upwards of 20 Jeeps and currently have 3, a 2021 Rubicon Extreme Recon, 1986 CJ7 Laredo and a 1983 CJ7 Limited.

Road travelled mostly I-5 and Hwy 325 and 139
Vancouver to Portland
Portland to San Francisco
San Francisco to LA
LA to Las Vegas
Las Vegas to Reno
Reno to Vancouver
3621 Miles
Averaged 16.4 Miles to the gallon

IMG_2766.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

1986 Jeep.jpg

IMG_2526.jpg
Very cool color - Bronco. You'll have to post pictures once you get the rest of the goodies installed

FormerJeepJunkie

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thank you for this write up. I currently have a 2020 JLUR and that will find a new home once the Bronco is official. I don’t see a need to keep 2 cars for myself (the wife has hers) and I’ve owned around 40 other vehicles in my lifetime. I don’t have regrets about changing - there will always be another vehicle.

However, what makes the Bronco different is the wait. I’ve never waited more than a week for a car. I usually have just walked in and said “if you have this and this- I’m a buyer”… and people either had it or found it. I was (am?) concerned that I’d wait 8 months for this thing and only find out I didn’t like it. I’m glad to read someone who has a similar jeep and made the leap.

Sponsored

Capt steve

Big Bend
First Name
Stephan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
We’ll, I got my 2021 big bend, soft top, 2.3, automatic in October. Buck now has 23k miles on his odometer and has averaged 21 mpg. It has been from nj to South Dakota and nj to Florida. The only time I didn’t have the top down in FL. was when it rained. People ask me how I like it and my answer is simple. It’s the most fun,easy to drive vehicle I’ve owned in my 61 years of driving. That about says it all. My granddaughter loves it equally as much
Ford Bronco 3500 miles in 7 days. 'My Impressions" and Comparisons (from a 20+ Jeeps veteran) EF7B055F-13AD-4F62-A68C-7B77D4C10ECA

bscoleman1

Outer Banks
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
On Road Review

Well, what can I say.....I took my brand new 2022 2dr 2.3L 10 spd Badlands for a little spin to really see what she can do. I might say I am thoroughly impressed with its on road performance. Picked it up Saturday and packed up and went away for a week of fun.

If you need to use the back seats, I would not get a 2 door, very awkward to get in especially if you are not small.

Comfort-Back didn't hurt, easy in and out, Great seats and seating position. Wish the seat was able to be a little more flat from butt to knees.
Fuel-Drank the fuel over the passes. I drove average on the freeway between 70-80mph 16.4 average over 3600 miles.
Brakes-This is my only negative. Felt like I needed more stopping power, will be addressing!

Parts on order- Mirror mounted Ford Performance Lights, Side Steps, Grab Handles, Brush Bar and going to order a soft top.

I had one on order and it never showed up so I saw this on a lot and picked it up.

Lets Compare
Comfort - Bronco
Brakes - Jeep
Lighting - Bronco
Suspension - Bronco
Cool Factor - Bronco
Wow Factor - Bronco

I've owned upwards of 20 Jeeps and currently have 3, a 2021 Rubicon Extreme Recon, 1986 CJ7 Laredo and a 1983 CJ7 Limited.

Vancouver to Portland
San Francisco to LA
LA to Las Vegas
Las Vegas to Reno
Reno to Vancouver
3621 Miles

Ford Bronco 3500 miles in 7 days. 'My Impressions" and Comparisons (from a 20+ Jeeps veteran) EF7B055F-13AD-4F62-A68C-7B77D4C10ECA

Thanks for sharing your expert opinion!

RJOBX

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model 3
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

On Road Review

Lets Compare
Comfort - Bronco
Brakes - Jeep
Lighting - Bronco
Suspension - Bronco
Cool Factor - Bronco
Wow Factor - Bronco

Vancouver to Portland
San Francisco to LA
LA to Las Vegas
Las Vegas to Reno
Reno to Vancouver
3621 Miles

late to the party on this, but since I'm also in Vancouver and planning a road trip to San Diego in September it was encouraging to read this!

bumyoon

Heritage
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Heritage Edition 4-dr manual.
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Excellent info, thanks for sharing. Just a note on my experience with fuel mileage. I have noticed a big drop when traveling over 70 mph. On a recent trip to Moab, we averaged almost 26 mpg on our way back to Utah county. I kept my foot out of it and tried to keep the speed down to 65 mph. This is with our 2.7 4-door Badlands.

I definitely see gas mileage dropped past 70. I'm getting about 23-24 around town, 22 on highway under 70, about 16.5 when going 80.

Old School D

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2002 Silverado, 2001 Miata
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My previous off roader was an 05 LJ Rubicon with 6 speed. Old school, no power windows, locks, etc. (though ok, it did have ac...lol). Rock solid going anywhere. If it weren't for having to replace the computer (and good luck finding one, even used), and someone else running into it, would still have it. It had 220k miles on it when I had to move on two years ago.

Thanks, OP for your thoughtful review. I echo most all of it. I have the 22 BB in auto 4 door (not my first choice, but was available locally). The longer wheelbase is a must.

I have the same feeling as the OP. To me, the LJ was indestructible. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it under, over, or around something. Maybe it is the fact that it was older, scratched (understatement lol), had a few "trail marks," and had been tested while the Bronco is new, rides great on the road (LJ--uh, not so much), and hasn't been put through its paces yet. Or maybe it's what I paid for it compared to the LJ.

I like the Bronco a lot more, but at this point it seems less rugged. I love it and even my wife will ride with me for trips in it...wouldn't do it in the Jeep, which had horrible road noise, not spine friendly etc.

Will post back with perceptions once I get it off road at the hunting camp, which has some serious spots to test...think deep creeks to cross, steep hills, and rocky ledges to bounce over. But, so far, I think this is a goto and am a little surprised how good it is at most everything. I guess if I had to sum up my perspective so far, this is a good daily driver that hopefully lives up to the offroad excursions, whereas the LJ was a great offroad excursion vehicle that couldn't serve as a daily driver if you are over 40.

Oh, and the brakes to me are fine, but I will say that the pedal arrangement takes a little getting used to if you have big feet. I am a 13 wide, and have to be careful to make sure I don't have an overlap on the gas when applying the brakes.
Sponsored