Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

oh man this is a heckin' chonker and I NEED IT
"
Heckin' Chonker | Fair State Brewing Cooperativehttps://fairstate.coop › Stout
A big, luxurious brew. Blended bourbon barrel-aged pastry stout with vanilla. Tasting Notes. Big, sticky, vanilla, oak, spirit character, chocolate
"

ATLBronco75

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I feel like everyone concerned about brakes doesn't understand how anti-lock brakes work. If you can lock the brakes you have enough braking "Power." Now it's up to the Anti-lock braking controller and the rubber compound/construction of the tires to stop the vehicle. Power as a function of stopping wheel rotation is not much of an issue.

Now if you want to talk about heat and pedal effort we can have a MUCH longer discussion.

Jwall

Base
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I feel like everyone concerned about brakes doesn't understand how anti-lock brakes work. If you can lock the brakes you have enough braking "Power." Now it's up to the Anti-lock braking controller and the rubber compound/construction of the tires to stop the vehicle. Power as a function of stopping wheel rotation is not much of an issue.

Now if you want to talk about heat and pedal effort we can have a MUCH longer discussion.
I went from 31’s to 37’s on a Jeep Jk. I’m still on the stock brakes...granted there is a little more effort to stop (not bad at all, just a bit more input), i have never once been worried about not being able to stop. The one legit panic stop i had to do, the tires were the limiting factor, NOT the actual brake components.
That being said, I’m sure are quick to fade/overheat and warp, but i personally haven’t had any problems. Brakes are something i don’t plan to upgrade on the bronco either...and i will upgrade to 37’s.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I feel like everyone concerned about brakes doesn't understand how anti-lock brakes work. If you can lock the brakes you have enough braking "Power."...

I think this is the least understood, but probably most important aspect. The brakes will stop you in a panic stop, albeit maybe not in as short a distance; however, the brakes when used off road or stop and go traffic will fade. If the Bronco is an off road rig, and if people are going to use it in that manner, what is more important than the idea of a panic stop is the need for a system to reduce fade. I don't doubt the brakes are up to the task for normal driving conditions; although, people really need to understand the impact of larger tires, rolling resistance, ability of the ABS to interpret and stop the rolling. Anyway, off road is where I would wonder about how the overall system will work with 37" tires. It won't be an issue unless you're crawling and trying to stop or slow the vehicle in 4-low when there is a lot of torque/power pushing those tires to turn at the same time you're trying to brake and slow them further. What will cause the most issue is doing this over and over, over some given distance. As you "crawl" through an area, if you ride the brakes, you will (over)heat them and they will fade (reduce braking ability). People need to be mindful of that and pay attention. If you're driving steep switchbacks, stop, rest, cool down and use your lower gears for engine braking.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This is what most people are talking about. It's less about the emergency brake where you're going to be standing on the pedal anyway, and more about the not quite emergencies.

If someone decides to pull out in front of me, has the change in pedal effort gotten to the point where I can't reasonably stop the vehicle without standing on pedal.

It's not something that can't be overcome. I'm currently driving and Xterra that's easily 2000lbs heavier than stock, rolling on 35s, with stock brakes. In normal circumstances, the brakes work fine. I'm confident in an emergency brake, the brakes would get it done. Everything in between requires me to be just a little more vigilant because the effort to get the truck to stop short without kicking the ABS into gear is noticeable.

Broncoak

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 FSB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
"
Heckin' Chonker | Fair State Brewing Cooperativehttps://fairstate.coop › Stout
A big, luxurious brew. Blended bourbon barrel-aged pastry stout with vanilla. Tasting Notes. Big, sticky, vanilla, oak, spirit character, chocolate
"
""

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not to steer the conversation too far off course, I should mention that brake power is essentially how much heat you can transfer from the moving vehicle to the pads/rotors. (this is the same heat that will effect fade). This will remain constant. Larger wheel diameter will require a slightly higher brake torque, and this torque is now applied at a slightly lower wheel speed so the power dumped is constant. Brake feel may be different but so long as you haven't added sooooo much mass to the total vehicle that the brake power cant keep up with the traction limitations you will be fine.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sponsored

TNcoupe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 1970 Bronco, 1955 T Bird
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can stop a 1970 Bronco with 37s on it with 4 wheel no power drum brakes, pretty sure these can handle it.

@BadBlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

MrJoe

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Bronco (sold), '99 Ram, '08 Explorer, '16 CMax
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You can stop a 1970 Bronco with 37s on it with 4 wheel no power drum brakes, pretty sure these can handle it.
"Can"... but hated it. I had to add a booster. 37's and drums were a bit**...

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not to steer the conversation too far off course, I should mention that brake power is essentially how much heat you can transfer from the moving vehicle to the pads/rotors. (this is the same heat that will effect fade). This will remain constant. Larger wheel diameter will require a slightly higher brake torque, and this torque is now applied at a slightly lower wheel speed so the power dumped is constant. Brake feel may be different but so long as you haven't added sooooo much mass to the total vehicle that the brake power cant keep up with the traction limitations you will be fine.
**REPORTED**

Ford Bronco 37’s and Fox Suspension on Bronco Outer Banks @ King of Hammers (KOH) 7a9
Sponsored