Sponsored

3rd/5th Door

How do you want to see the rear door(s) of the Bronco operate?

• OTHER -- none of the above

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There is a big question I haven't seen anyone address yet, and it is closely tied to two potentially opposing features that many people are passionate about, the removability of the roof and the location of the spare tire.

How do you want to see the rear door(s) of the Bronco operate?

Once upon a time it was common to see the rear door of a SUV operate like the tailgate on a pickup, and that's how Broncos of olde worked. That method isn't used at all anymore though. Should it come back, or should the Bronco adopt some fancy-shmancy new method of opening for the 3rd or 5th door(s)?

How that rear opening operates will probably depend a lot on how the roof achieves openness or removability. Will how the roof or rear gate works be more important to you?

With so many possibilities, and times-a-changing, Which alternative could you tolerate?

Classic Tailgate (window up, door down) -- once the standard, with a lightweight top and window that hinged upward, and a simple door that would hang flat like the tailgate of a pickup. This was often paired with either a hinged swinging spare tire carrier, or a spare inside. The window went with the top when it was off.

Tailgate with Retractable Window (door down, window hidden) -- a later development shared by many SUVs was a window that would retract into the rear door, often a requirement before opening, with the door itself usually dropping flat like a pickup tailgate. Due to the weight of the spare, it usually had to swing to the side separately, or be stowed inside. The window hides away inside the door during top off.

Modern Liftgate (everything up) -- the option used today for most hatchbacks, wagons, crossover and SUVs, the entire rear door lifts up like a peacocks tail (is that the rear-end equivalent of a falcon/gull wing?). This presents a potential weight problem, if the spare tire, particularly an oversized one is supposed go up with it -- perhaps requiring on board air from the factory to power pneumatic lift. Very problematic for top off, requiring panel top or replacement half door.

Swinging Tailgate (window up, door sideways) -- the method used by Bronco's theoretical main competitor, the Jeep Wrangler. The window is attached to the top, and removed with it, while the door and potentially attached spare swing to the side. Door stays and widow leaves for top off.

Swinging Door (everything sideways) -- a method used in many foreign SUVs, the rear door is just a jumbo version of a regular door and it all swings to one side, potentially spare included. Troublesome for top off unless there is a "half-door" for the back as well.

Split Doors (doors open left and right) -- an option seen with some large SUVs, and common with vans. The spare could attach to one door or have a swing of its own. Similarly problematic for top off as the single swinging door, does it require a panel top or half doors?

OTHER (none of the above) -- you describe some alternative to us, or refuse to accept any alternative to your favorite option.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Some visual aides:

Classic Tailgate
3-5 door Classic Tailgate2.png

Tailgate With Retractable Window
3-5 door Tailgate with Retractable Window.png

Modern Liftgate
3-5 door Modern Liftgate.png

Swinging Tailgate
3-5 door Swinging Tailgate.png

Swinging Door
3-5 door Swinging Door.png

Split Doors
3-5 door Split Doors.png

Last edited:

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
I want it with a tailgate, especially for hunting purposes having a tailgate you can hose off is extremely convenient.

OP
OP
Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I want it with a tailgate, especially for hunting purposes having a tailgate you can hose off is extremely convenient.
Jeep abandoned the lowered tailgate in favor of one that swings. Would a swinging tailgate like the Wrangler take away from the utility of the Bronco for you?

Does it matter to you where the window goes? What about the spare tire?

Bronco II

Black Diamond
First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost50 Year Appearance Package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I like the window up tailgate down. I worked at Ford dealerships from 79 to 87 so I well acquainted with the problems of the window rolling down into the tailgate.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep this style
3-5-door-classic-tailgate2-png.png
The classic version is what I like most too. Mechanical simplicity and reliability.

The split doors like an old Surburban isn't bad either, but not really "Bronco". I also really dislike anything that detracts from window real estate.

The possibility of a liftgate that takes a 100-200lb spare up with it by the power of on board air/pneumatics is interesting, but it poses a lot of problems for toplessness, and complexity.

The Wrangler rear that partly opens up and part to the side has always seemed like an odd compromise between multiple systems to me. Oversized tires cause so many problems they offer a "reinforcement" option from the factory.

OP
OP
Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like the window up tailgate down. I worked at Ford dealerships from 79 to 87 so I well acquainted with the problems of the window rolling down into the tailgate.
One of the biggest rot problems on those FSB bodies probably wouldn't happen these days. A moving panel like that would probably be aluminum.

vr00m_vr00m

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Corolla, 93 G20, 87 Bronco II
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

FYI you can pick two options when voting. I went with classic and modern, the latter because of my 87 Bronco II.

OP
OP
Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
FYI you can pick two options when voting. I went with classic and modern, the latter because of my 87 Bronco II.
Yes, two selections can be made, and you can change them later too.

The Bronco II did have a liftgate like most of today's wagon bodied vehicles. It's a good example of one that has the spare swing separately. It does present some challenges for people who would want a removable top, although it could work with a panel type top. I suspect that is one of the reasons the BII had such large rear windows.

3-5 door Bronco II.png

Sponsored

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
There's no current option that makes a good surface to work on, do your camp food prep on, or just sit and have a beer on better than the classic tailgate. I used to have a roll-out awning and a couple modified folding stadium seats that made the latter even more comfy.

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'd go with swinging to the side, either all as one piece or with the window going up like a jeep. Given we know the spare will likely be on the door (from our one official photo), that's the easiest way to get access to the cargo area. I'm not a fan of the ones where there's a separate spare tire carrier that you have to swing, and then drop the tailgate or lift the hatch, why not make it all one step?

OP
OP
Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
. .. I'm not a fan of the ones where there's a separate spare tire carrier that you have to swing, and then drop the tailgate or lift the hatch, why not make it all one step?
I think the sentiment of not wanting to deal with a separate tire carrier could be common. It is probably a big part of why so many vehicles these days stuff the spare underneath, or get rid of it entirely.

It would not surprise me if sorting out the roof+tire+back door was part of the design delay.

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Jeep abandoned the lowered tailgate in favor of one that swings. Would a swinging tailgate like the Wrangler take away from the utility of the Bronco for you?

Does it matter to you where the window goes? What about the spare tire?
From my own experience, I know I'm not going to put a dozen bloody doves inside the vehicle, but I'm okay with laying them on a steel tailgate. I can say that sitting inside the Excursion barn doors isn't the same as sitting on a tailgate, and preparing food there isn't quite as convenient. And a swinging tailgate wouldn't work as a workbench for things like cutting a sheet of plywood or 2x4s, assembling parts and whatnot - things I use a tailgate for fairly regularly.

I like the overhead window as it provides a degree of shelter from the elements if inclement. But perhaps there's another answer to that. I suppose there's an answer to the swing-away spare as well, but I'm not a car designer so I don't have any worthy ideas.

Note that GM offered the 'burb/Tahoe with two different door options - full-height barn doors or liftgate. Options are good. I had successive work trucks with each of those options, and I really can't decide which one I liked better. Having no "liftover" like you do with a tailgate is nice, but that is resolvable with a sliding platform, so I'm still in the tailgate faction.

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good question. I remember this patent Ford recently made with a canopy system for a liftgate like the Bronco II.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/tailgate-canopy-system-patent-for-2020-bronco.260/

Very cool idea but I'm not sure how that would work with a removable top. Plus those liftgates were heavy as hell.

If they could make a reliable tailgate that the window rolled down into like the FS then that would be ideal but honestly the simple drop down tailgate window up, would be best.
Sponsored