Sponsored

4.46:1, 35/37 tires, and 2.7? Or get the Sasquatch for the 4.70 gears?

High Proof

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2018 Panamera
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Now that we have an idea of that the Sasquatch may cost on the BL, I'm trying to figure out if it is worth the cost. Not sure yet if I will do 35s or 37s. With the Sasquatch a $2500 upgrade I am thinking I might be better off not getting it and putting that money towards the wheels/tires I would prefer.

Would the 4.46 be good enough for 35 or 37" tires in general? I'm not worried about gas mileage. Anything else the Sasquatch package gets us that is important here? I don't care about the fenders.
Sponsored

OP
OP
High Proof

High Proof

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2018 Panamera
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I guess I should consider what I could sell the Sasquatch tires & wheels for as well. Would bring the $2500 upgrade down some.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm trying to figure it out now. I think I could trade the 33s and put on 35s for a net $600 or so, and have Sasquatch effectively (with tires I like better). That said, the 4.46 will run the 35s fine, but I would probably want 4.7 for down the road if I decide to lift and put on 37s. The crappy deal that the Sas upgrade is on the Badlands (if that pricing is what it ends up being) is a problem. It's a fair to good deal on the other trims where they are replacing crappy wheels and tires and putting in whole new suspension and diffs with lockers...but they're screwing people on the Badlands Sas.

Skunk Ape

Badlands
First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Durango RT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm trying to figure it out now. I think I could trade the 33s and put on 35s for a net $600 or so, and have Sasquatch effectively (with tires I like better). That said, the 4.46 will run the 35s fine, but I would probably want 4.7 for down the road if I decide to lift and put on 37s. The crappy deal that the Sas upgrade is on the Badlands (if that pricing is what it ends up being) is a problem. It's a fair to good deal on the other trims where they are replacing crappy wheels and tires and putting in whole new suspension and diffs with lockers...but they're screwing people on the Badlands Sas.
Likely paying for those beadlocks. They aren’t cheap. I’m considering the amount I might get selling them with the tires then getting my own rims and 37s. Assuming 4.7 good enough final gear ratio since that alone would cost me $2k to have it done by a professional.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The squatch gets you the M210 instead of the M190. If you are at all serious about going to 37s, get the M210, either as an option or as a trim level. The front locker I really don't care about for my needs as long as I have the rear. If I can get the 4.70s, I will, regardless of what tires I'm running.

I know personally if I ever do go 35+, I most likely will do a regear anyway.

Gearing really matters if you don't like to put up with poor performance. Many don't mind. Like someone on here who said the gears on his raptor worked great, and then complained about it being slow. A raptor has more power than you could ever need and should never be described as slow, unless of course your gears are too high. If you don't mind slow, poor acceleration, then don't worry about the gears. You'll get there, eventually.

I've had many an offroad vehicle and have regeared more times than I want. Gears matter if performance matters.

Sponsored

acetdeucy

Badlands
First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Corsair Lexus RX350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Now that we have an idea of that the Sasquatch may cost on the BL, I'm trying to figure out if it is worth the cost. Not sure yet if I will do 35s or 37s. With the Sasquatch a $2500 upgrade I am thinking I might be better off not getting it and putting that money towards the wheels/tires I would prefer.

Would the 4.46 be good enough for 35 or 37" tires in general? I'm not worried about gas mileage. Anything else the Sasquatch package gets us that is important here? I don't care about the fenders.
I don't think there is a bad answer. I expect that the 35's will be great... and the 37's won't make a noticeable difference. I have to base that on all the Jeep guys , with Rubicon and 4.11 gears (factory shortest gear offered) that have changed to both 35's and 37's... and they say they still run great. That being said, I don't think the 4.11 is enough gear to move you along, without strain. Additionally, a shorter gear might give them a bit better than the crappy 14 mpg they get, with 37's.

Same scenario, for me. BL, with or without Sasquatch! I've decided to do the Sasquatch, mainly because I'm old... and I can afford it. If I was going to go with the 4.46 gears on the BL, I would still want the optional 2" factory lift (the BL package incudes only a 1.2" lift).

So I will probably change wheels and tires, immediately, and sell the 35's as new tire take-off's. Then my plan will be to get new 18" X 9" wheels, with 37 X 11.5 X 18 Nitto Ridge Terrain tires with about a 0 to a -12 backspace (about 1/2 to 3/4 inch offset from the center ring). This will push the tires slightly out from the wheel wells and supports, and likely to need no alteration. GOOD NEWS: These 18" Ridge Terrain tires are also available in 12.5 and 13.5 inch widths!!! NOTE: the Nitto 17" tires are only available as 12.5 inch.

Last edited:
OP
OP
High Proof

High Proof

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2018 Panamera
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think I will probably go with the Squatch. I run 35s with 3.21 gears on my Wrangler. It's not as bad as you read about in the forums. I was planning on re-gearing when I upsized the tires but haven't felt the need to. With that said, I drive around Florida. It's pretty flat here.

It's always nice to have more ability to get up and go. Will be interesting to see what I think of the gearing with these tires on trails out west in another week or so.

Bccarlin

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Base
Where would you get the tires taken off (the “take off market” you mention)? I plan to get the base and like the look of 32 or 33’s, but will likely never actually off-road and don’t really need all the extras in the Sasquatch package. Where would you go to find a take off set of 32 or 33’s?

OP
OP
High Proof

High Proof

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2018 Panamera
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Where would you get the tires taken off (the “take off market” you mention)? I plan to get the base and like the look of 32 or 33’s, but will likely never actually off-road and don’t really need all the extras in the Sasquatch package. Where would you go to find a take off set of 32 or 33’s?
Probably right here on the forum. It's pretty common if you look around some of the Jeep forums.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ebay, craigslist, facebook market place, forums like this, etc.
Ask your dealer if they have someone they sell takeoffs to. Dealers that do a lot of dealer installed wheels/tires/lifts etc. usually sell the takeoffs to a specific shop. 6 months after Broncos hit the dealers there will be plenty of takeoffs for sell.

Sponsored

acetdeucy

Badlands
First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Corsair Lexus RX350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've sold them to tire stores before (with the wheels) but then the seller only gets about 40% value and the store resells them at around 70% of value.

Most times lately, I've sold them on a forum, like this or others, and gotten about 50% or so on them. If I find some buyers in other ways (Jeep guys that I know or whatever), I can usually find a buyer of new wheels and tires at about 60% or so.

The new tire take-off's aren't just anywhere. You have to look for them. If you're interested in 33's... and if your in southern CA, I can order my Badlands with the stock wheels and 33's. Then, I would just add the factory 2" lift. Let me know!

Bccarlin

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've sold them to tire stores before (with the wheels) but then the seller only gets about 40% value and the store resells them at around 70% of value.

Most times lately, I've sold them on a forum, like this or others, and gotten about 50% or so on them. If I find some buyers in other ways (Jeep guys that I know or whatever), I can usually find a buyer of new wheels and tires at about 60% or so.

The new tire take-off's aren't just anywhere. You have to look for them. If you're interested in 33's... and if your in southern CA, I can order my Badlands with the stock wheels and 33's. Then, I would just add the factory 2" lift. Let me know!
Thanks for the offer, but I am on the opposite side of the country in NY. I appreciate the additional info!

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Everyone is wondering if the 4.46 gears is enough for 35s or even 37s and everyone is basing their opinions on what gears other vehicles are running (example above >> I have to base that on all the Jeep guys , with Rubicon and 4.11 gears (factory shortest gear offered) that have changed to both 35's and 37's... and they say they still run great.)

I think you are making a BIG mistake by basing your conclusions on other vehicles. For example, the raptor comes stock with 35s and has 4.1 gearing with a 10speed.

SO why in the hell did Ford go 4.7 on the Sasquatch package?

I think some of us will learn the hard way. Save $2500 on the Sasquatch package and then buy 35s on your own and find out the gearing is all wrong and then spend another $2000+ to correct the gearing.

I am getting the Sasquatch package and will trust that Ford picked 4.7 as the best compromise between power and fuel economy.

Last edited:

lsustang05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Raptor SuperCab
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The squatch gets you the M210 instead of the M190. If you are at all serious about going to 37s, get the M210, either as an option or as a trim level. The front locker I really don't care about for my needs as long as I have the rear. If I can get the 4.70s, I will, regardless of what tires I'm running.

I know personally if I ever do go 35+, I most likely will do a regear anyway.

Gearing really matters if you don't like to put up with poor performance. Many don't mind. Like someone on here who said the gears on his raptor worked great, and then complained about it being slow. A raptor has more power than you could ever need and should never be described as slow, unless of course your gears are too high. If you don't mind slow, poor acceleration, then don't worry about the gears. You'll get there, eventually.

I've had many an offroad vehicle and have regeared more times than I want. Gears matter if performance matters.

Me. And I think you’re taking my point out of context. At over 6500lbs, yea, 4.10’s are undergeared. 4.88’s are better, but 5.10’s are where I would want to be. The new Gen 2 raptor has the same gearing and yet you don’t hear of those guys having an issue with 37’s and 4.10’s. The weight + the torque down low where it matters, is what counts. Torque on the Gen 1 is at peak 434ft-lbs at 4,500rpms. The Gen 2 is a full 1,000 rpms lower, at 3,500rpms. Over 500lbs lighter with peak torque at lower RPMS’s is going to be significantly better.

At 1,000lbs lighter than the Gen 2, and 1,500lbs less than Gen 1, with power at similar levels to the Gen 1, no matter what gears you have on this thing, it’s going to be a god damn rocket ship. 4.46 vs 4.70 is minimal. Nobody in their right mind would upgrade from 4.10’s to 4.27‘s. It’s just not enough of a step up to make a big enough difference. You want to make a minimum 2 step change in gears to feel a big difference. 4.46 to 4.70 will be a minor step up. Not worth the upgrade on the Badlands IMO. On other trims with 3.73 or lower, absolutely worth the upgrade.

I’m also not saying the 4.70 is a bad choice, but to base the entire decision on Sasquatch on those, I’m not convinced. I’d rather upgrade to 5.10’s or higher since I’m planning on 38’s. The biggest draw for Squatch is the upgraded axles if they aren’t a standalone option, IMO.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Me. And I think you’re taking my point out of context. At over 6500lbs, yea, 4.10’s are undergeared. 4.88’s are better, but 5.10’s are where I would want to be. The new Gen 2 raptor has the same gearing and yet you don’t hear of those guys having an issue with 37’s and 4.10’s. The weight + the torque down low where it matters, is what counts. Torque on the Gen 1 is at peak 434ft-lbs at 4,500rpms. The Gen 2 is a full 1,000 rpms lower, at 3,500rpms. Over 500lbs lighter with peak torque at lower RPMS’s is going to be significantly better.

At 1,000lbs lighter than the Gen 2, and 1,500lbs less than Gen 1, with power at similar levels to the Gen 1, no matter what gears you have on this thing, it’s going to be a god damn rocket ship. 4.46 vs 4.70 is minimal. Nobody in their right mind would upgrade from 4.10’s to 4.27‘s. It’s just not enough of a step up to make a big enough difference. You want to make a minimum 2 step change in gears to feel a big difference. 4.46 to 4.70 will be a minor step up. Not worth the upgrade on the Badlands IMO. On other trims with 3.73 or lower, absolutely worth the upgrade.

No, no one would, or should regear to go from 4.46 to 4.70, but that's not what we are talking about. If you have an equal opportunity to get either, I'll gladly go with the 4.7s regardless of what size my tires are. If you want to start with higher gears and then get bigger tires, be my guest. It's your vehicle. You decide what performance level you are willing to put up with. If you want the 4.46 gears, I'm sure you'll be happy with them and they'll work fine for you.
Sponsored