Sponsored

4.46:1, 35/37 tires, and 2.7? Or get the Sasquatch for the 4.70 gears?

Skunk Ape

Badlands
First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Durango RT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve never seen beadlock take-offs. I’m going with one should be able to get good money for them based on simple supply and demand.

As for gearing. If you compare 33s with 4.46 then you will see that 35s require 4.7. Therefore, 37s would require 4.96 to maintain similar performance. Calc is simple. New tire times current ratio divided by old tire gets you close. 35x4.46/33=4.7. Why I’m not confident 4.7 will get you same on 37s as 35s or 33s on 4.46. Food for thought.
Sponsored

lsustang05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Raptor SuperCab
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No, no one would, or should regear to go from 4.46 to 4.70, but that's not what we are talking about. If you have an equal opportunity to get either, I'll gladly go with the 4.7s regardless of what size my tires are. If you want to start with higher gears and then get bigger tires, be my guest. It's your vehicle. You decide what performance level you are willing to put up with. If you want the 4.46 gears, I'm sure you'll be happy with them and they'll work fine for you.
But it’s not equal? Unless you’ve figured out a way to get sasquatch for free. And if you have, do tell! $2500 for gears is EXPENSIVE. You said you’ve regeared plenty of vehicles in the past, you know $2500 is extremely high.

lsustang05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve never seen beadlock take-offs. I’m going with one should be able to get good money for them based on simple supply and demand.

As for gearing. If you compare 33s with 4.46 then you will see that 35s require 4.7. Therefore, 37s would require 4.96 to maintain similar performance. Calc is simple. New tire times current ratio divided by old tire gets you close. 35x4.46/33=4.7. Why I’m not confident 4.7 will get you same on 37s as 35s or 33s on 4.46. Food for thought.
Look to the Raptor wheels for pricing. They would be the only beadlock takeoffs I’m aware of. Beadlock capable like the Bronco and 35’s like the Bronco. About as close to a comparison you’re going to get.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
You never seen beadlock takeoffs? Half of raptors owners who have them sell them.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
But $2500 via the Sasquatch package is more than just gears.

But it’s not equal? Unless you’ve figured out a way to get sasquatch for free. And if you have, do tell! $2500 for gears is EXPENSIVE. You said you’ve regeared plenty of vehicles in the past, you know $2500 is extremely high.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Oh, I haven't seen the B&P yet, so I don't know what's an option and what's not. I suppose if the only way to get an upgrade in gears is to squatch it, then sure, it's a lot just for gears. Of course, I ain't getting an auto, so the BL already has the 4.70, so that's another route for me.

$2500 is a lot to regear, but probably not that much more than paying someone else to do it for you would be. I've never paid for someone to do all the work for me, so I don't know what it runs these days. I'd rather not do it though, and that's my point.

Again, get whatever gears you want. I don't care. It's your vehicle. Really. I'm sure they will be fine.

lsustang05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
But $2500 via the Sasquatch package is more than just gears.
On the Badlands it’s wheels/tires, gears, axles. And the wheels/tires most people are getting rid of so it would be $2500 (or whatever it is) gears and axles. You can drive that down by selling takeoffs, but that will vary and then you have to deal with the headache of selling them. That is my point.

On other trims, the Sasquatch is great. My main point with this is I honestly don’t think most people will be able to see a huge difference between the 4.46 and the 4.70’s. Determining if the cost of Squatch is worth it to you to get the rest of the included parts with Squatch is a different conversation altogether.

Skunk Ape

Badlands
First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Durango RT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Look to the Raptor wheels for pricing. They would be the only beadlock takeoffs I’m aware of. Beadlock capable like the Bronco and 35’s like the Bronco. About as close to a comparison you’re going to get.
What do those run new with 35s in South Florida? I know Rubicon take offs run about $800 to $1000. Gotta believe beadlock are 50% or more greater than that.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have to think that 4.7 gears will be available to purchase since they’re OEM equipment for the Bronco. You should be able to buy any part as a repair item. I also believe the aftermarket will have a bunch of options so 4.88 or 5.10 could be available.

I’m still undecided on which Bronco model. if I go Manual 2.3 I will get 4.46 if I end up with an auto I will Squatch and get 4.7. Either way, the Bronco will have 35s.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I'm trying to figure it out now. I think I could trade the 33s and put on 35s for a net $600 or so, and have Sasquatch effectively (with tires I like better). That said, the 4.46 will run the 35s fine, but I would probably want 4.7 for down the road if I decide to lift and put on 37s. The crappy deal that the Sas upgrade is on the Badlands (if that pricing is what it ends up being) is a problem. It's a fair to good deal on the other trims where they are replacing crappy wheels and tires and putting in whole new suspension and diffs with lockers...but they're screwing people on the Badlands Sas.
I think you’ll need spacers moving the wheels out 3/4” or so, but yeah

Sponsored

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does manual vs. automatic make a difference on how you should gear for bigger tires? Will 4.46 gears and 35s perform better with manual vs auto? I’m debating BD manual vs BL manual and adding required lift and 35s. I know you also get upgraded front axle with BL

BroncBro

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You’re not going to be able to tell any difference between 4.46 and 4.7 gearing. The 10 speeds of the transmission will help out tremendously with that. And if you go with manual, you row your own gears. No problems there either.

Last edited:

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

On the Badlands it’s wheels/tires, gears, axles. And the wheels/tires most people are getting rid of so it would be $2500 (or whatever it is) gears and axles. You can drive that down by selling takeoffs, but that will vary and then you have to deal with the headache of selling them. That is my point.

On other trims, the Sasquatch is great. My main point with this is I honestly don’t think most people will be able to see a huge difference between the 4.46 and the 4.70’s. Determining if the cost of Squatch is worth it to you to get the rest of the included parts with Squatch is a different conversation altogether.
Where did you read axles?

Shirt8u1

Wildtrak
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Everyone is wondering if the 4.46 gears is enough for 35s or even 37s and everyone is basing their opinions on what gears other vehicles are running (example above >> I have to base that on all the Jeep guys , with Rubicon and 4.11 gears (factory shortest gear offered) that have changed to both 35's and 37's... and they say they still run great.)

I think you are making a BIG mistake by basing your conclusions on other vehicles. For example, the raptor comes stock with 35s and has 4.1 gearing with a 10speed.

SO why in the hell did Ford go 4.7 on the Sasquatch package?

I think some of us will learn the hard way. Save $2500 on the Sasquatch package and then buy 35s on your own and find out the gearing is all wrong and then spend another $2000+ to correct the gearing.

I am getting the Sasquatch package and will trust that Ford picked 4.7 as the best compromise for power and fuel economy.
I will say your exactly right..
Big tires are a power Killer.
At least everytime I went up a size or 2..
But each to his own.
I hate a under powered truck.

Skunk Ape

Badlands
First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Durango RT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Considering the economy we are in perhaps just being content with 35s for now more cost effective. Can always upgrade later after seeing how others have faired with their upgrades.
Not like it looks bad with 35s. Pretty bad ass actually.
Sponsored