First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 ford f150 fx4 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There is a lot of misinformation on here regarding these two gear ratios, so I wanted to put it bed once and for all:

Overview:
The 4.7 ratio comes standard with the sasquatch package, and cannot be added independently without the entire sasquatch package.

THE DELIMMA:
I'll start with saying that my badlands doesn't have the sasquatch package. This should mean that my bronco will have a lower crawl ratio than a sas, since it has higher gearing. It should get better gas mileage, even run lower RPM's on the highway. It should even be slower on take off, right! Wrong!

The Explanation:
When we change the tire size of our vehicle, we also change the mechanical advantage. Think of a winch: the more line on the drum, the weaker the pulling power of the motor. In other words, the larger the circumference of the drum, the more strain on the winch motor. In a nutshell, added layers of cable=less mechanical advantage.

This same logic applies to the Bronco. A 4.7 ratio with 33 inch tires would indeed have better mechanical advantage than a 4.46 ratio! However, adding 2 inch taller tires (sasquatch) will decrease the mechanical advantage, therefore nearly equalizing the crawl ratio to a 4.46! My guess is, Ford realized this while developing the bronco; hence the 4.7 ratio option...

To Summarize:
A 4.46 ratio with 33 inch tires will have an equivalent mechanical advantage to the 35 inch with the 4.7 ratio on the sasquatch. That being said, if you are planning to change for bigger tires, you will lose SOME of your mechanical advantage. Therefore, if your plan is to put larger than 33 inch tires on your bronco (I didn't want bigger), then you definitely need to go with the sasquatch package to maintain as much torque as possible with the added rotational forces.

Cheers!

**As pointed out by some replies, you CAN get a manual badlands with the 4.7 ratio, but you do lose trail-turn assist.. which is why I didn't. I was strictly speaking of the automatic, I should have clarified.. although that is not at all the point of my post**
Sponsored

Last edited:

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Your Badlands *came* with a 4.7 ratio as standard, Sasquatch or not. It was the optioning of the automatic transmission - either intentionally with the standard 2.3L motor or by choosing the 2.7L motor with required auto - that changed the ratio to 4.46. To say that one can not have the 4.7 without optioning Sasquatch is not correct (and this bronco has been beaten to death, repeatedly, on numerous other threads here).

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Literally not the facts. Again. Ugh.

AMTRV

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands 4dr, 22 6.7L Tremor, 1940 Ford Cpe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My 22 2.7l Badlands non Sas came with the 4.46 axle ratio......as did all non Sas Badlands with the 2.7l. There is no option with the 2.7l short of Sas Pkg.

Last edited:

Morganstein

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Your Badlands *came* with a 4.7 ratio as standard, Sasquatch or not. It was the optioning of the automatic transmission - either intentionally with the standard 2.3L motor or by choosing the 2.7L motor with required auto - that changed the ratio to 4.46. To say that one can not have the 4.7 without optioning Sasquatch is not correct (and this bronco has been beaten to death, repeatedly, on numerous other threads here).
My Bronco is a 2021 Badlands with 4.7's and no Sasquatch. 2.3/manual.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It's only a 5% difference in gearing, I could run 35's on my Outer Banks and probably not feel enough of a difference off-road to care (and that's with the 4.27 gears), and the difference on road wouldn't be a big deal as the 2.7 has more than enough low end grunt. I currently run 33.5" tires (actual - not 34.5" sasquatch package tires that pretend to be 35's).

You don't "need" the Sasquatch package or 4.70 gears for 35's.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The math checks out.

However IMHO, with these deep overdrives, we're all a bit undergeared. I wish I had 5.13s with 35s. 4.70 with the 33s felt pretty good but even 4.88 would have been nice.

OP
OP
Jimmyleetennessee

Jimmyleetennessee

Badlands
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 ford f150 fx4 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's only a 5% difference in gearing, I could run 35's on my Outer Banks and probably not feel enough of a difference off-road to care (and that's with the 4.27 gears), and the difference on road wouldn't be a big deal as the 2.7 has more than enough low end grunt. I currently run 33.5" tires (actual - not 34.5" sasquatch package tires that pretend to be 35's).

Correct, you do not need it. Though that 5 percent is lost by the increase in size of the bigger tires. The rotational force is increased by the larger circumference.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

People who measure tires by the half Inch have serious issues.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey, I also live my life a 1/4" at a time... LOL
Didn't have to guess at that. Also our sympathy to your significant other. :p

Anyways, apparently some people need to see the long math on this. Which is also sad.

Nice job explaining it, @Jimmyleetennesee

Bigmoose

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Flex Ecoboost Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a BD with 4.46 gears and also run SAS tires and suspension. Truck drives great and I have no issues with power. Averaging 20mpg.
For reference my previous fun car was a 2004 terminator running 20psi on E85 making close to 700whp.