First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You can test all you want by "unplugging the abs sensors." Without them, the computer won't have any ABS input, therefore it assumes the vehicle is not moving regardless of what the VSS is reading so it may not report a speed.

However, they are both integrated and therefore cannot work independently of each other without faults. I assure you, you DO have a speed sensor on a manual trans...I will post pics first chance I get.
Please do!

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

There is a lot of misinformation on here regarding these two gear ratios, so I wanted to put it bed once and for all:

Overview:
The 4.7 ratio comes standard with the sasquatch package, and cannot be added independently without the entire sasquatch package.

THE DELIMMA:
I'll start with saying that my badlands doesn't have the sasquatch package. This should mean that my bronco will have a lower crawl ratio than a sas, since it has higher gearing. It should get better gas mileage, even run lower RPM's on the highway. It should even be slower on take off, right! Wrong!

The Explanation:
When we change the tire size of our vehicle, we also change the mechanical advantage. Think of a winch: the more line on the drum, the weaker the pulling power of the motor. In other words, the larger the circumference of the drum, the more strain on the winch motor. In a nutshell, added layers of cable=less mechanical advantage.

This same logic applies to the Bronco. A 4.7 ratio with 33 inch tires would indeed have better mechanical advantage than a 4.46 ratio! However, adding 2 inch taller tires (sasquatch) will decrease the mechanical advantage, therefore nearly equalizing the crawl ratio to a 4.46! My guess is, Ford realized this while developing the bronco; hence the 4.7 ratio option...

To Summarize:
A 4.46 ratio with 33 inch tires will have an equivalent mechanical advantage to the 35 inch with the 4.7 ratio on the sasquatch. That being said, if you are planning to change for bigger tires, you will lose SOME of your mechanical advantage. Therefore, if your plan is to put larger than 33 inch tires on your bronco (I didn't want bigger), then you definitely need to go with the sasquatch package to maintain as much torque as possible with the added rotational forces.

Cheers!

**As pointed out by some replies, you CAN get a manual badlands with the 4.7 ratio, but you do lose trail-turn assist.. which is why I didn't. I was strictly speaking of the automatic, I should have clarified.. although that is not at all the point of my post**
Yes, the same polarity of choice is experienced by Outer Banks owners, and the stock 32" tires. Regular transfer case has 3.73 axles, great for both highway driving, good MPG and moderate off roading. Add the rear locker, as I have, and you also get the Auto Transfer Case and the 4.27 differentials. This improves torque off-roading, at the cost of 1 mpg. In my case, it makes the car a great candidate for 33" tires, with adequate torque, while still getting decent MPG with the 4.27 axles.

Sponsored

Name

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Don't forget the difference between the 2.3 and 2.7. That should not be left out of a comparison between gear ratios, because there's a big torque difference between those motors.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Don't forget the difference between the 2.3 and 2.7. That should not be left out of a comparison between gear ratios, because there's a big torque difference between those motors.
Correct. I would have liked to see 2.3s geared lower than 2.7s to help offset the torque difference. It's a common tactic.

Redcobra

Outer Banks
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Expedition, 2020 Escape, 1970 Galaxie XL Conv
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have a BD with 4.46 gears and also run SAS tires and suspension. Truck drives great and I have no issues with power. Averaging 20mpg.
For reference my previous fun car was a 2004 terminator running 20psi on E85 making close to 700whp.
I’m running SAS tires and shocks on 4.27 gears and speedo is off 2 mph which means my calculated mpg was s off also. Anyone have a correction for this? Also noticed a slight whole shot change from stock OB. Tires but still can smoke a ram 1500 from the lites with my 2.3!

BadlandsA51

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands, Sasquatch, Lux Pkg, 72 Ranchero GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You are very much incorrect. The ABS sensors generate electricity as they turn. This information is measured and enterpreted by the vehicle and compared to the wheel speed sensor. If you change the tires, the relationship between the speed sensor and ABS sensor keeps the same linear relationship, running in parallel. This will not cause any issues. However, if you change the differential gearing, now the ABS sensor and Vehicle Speed Sensor have a different linear correlation, causing a fault.
That is correct, the system will not detect a change in tire size. The speedo won’t be accurate because of different sized tires, but the RPM relationship between the transmission Output Shaft Speed sensor and the Wheel Speed Sensors will still be correct. Changing gears will affect that relationship and may cause an ABS light or a variety of other issues like inoperative Cruise Control without warning lights.

Bigmoose

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Flex Ecoboost Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m running SAS tires and shocks on 4.27 gears and speedo is off 2 mph which means my calculated mpg was s off also. Anyone have a correction for this? Also noticed a slight whole shot change from stock OB. Tires but still can smoke a ram 1500 from the lites with my 2.3!
Refer to the forscan thread. You need to use that to adjust for tire size.

Sponsored

FloridaBurgBronco

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands, 2013 F-150 XLT HDPP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

While the 2.7 does have a torque advantage, it gives up a ton of torque advantage to the 2.3 in max crawl ratio. The max crawl ratio of a 2.3L 7MT Badlands (or I guess any other Sasq 7MT) is 94.25:1, the max crawl ratio of a 2.7 is 67.80:1. Facts folks, facts. Now is that entirely necessary, depends on what you intend to do, but that is a huge advantage of the 7MT 2.3L over the auto 2.7L. If my math is correct, that's a 39% higher "gear" torque.

Fmuguira

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Remember that the AT 2.7 has a torque converter which also multiplies your torque output. Can’t recall what the multiplier is but memory tells me it’s 150-200 %……. Converter stall speed can lower or up it. (My drag racing days are long gone but this torque converter multiplier needs to be remembered. )

BadlandsA51

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands, Sasquatch, Lux Pkg, 72 Ranchero GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Remember that the AT 2.7 has a torque converter which also multiplies your torque output. Can’t recall what the multiplier is but memory tells me it’s 150-200 %……. Converter stall speed can lower or up it. (My drag racing days are long gone but this torque converter multiplier needs to be remembered. )
That is true, torque converters can multiply crankshaft torque by 1.8 to 2.5 times. That could make the effective crawl ratio of the 2.7L over 120:1! That torque multiplication is why for a long time automatic transmissions tended to have 1 less gear than manual transmissions. When 3 speed manuals were the norm in the 50s and 60s, 2 speed automatics were common. When manuals went to 4 speeds in the late 50s and early 60s, 3 speed automatics were common, and when 5 speed manuals came on the scene in the 80s, automatics went to 4 speeds.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model