DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Would a fair comparison to gauge power and engine feel be to drive a four door crew cab Ranger with a 2.3 then drive an F150 with as low of a weight as possible with a 2.7? I understand the vehicle behaviors themselves will be different but my concern is engine only especially since we would be pulling trigger on something we can't even drive until we take delivery.

I am leaning heavily towards 2.7 as auto will be mandatory and I would rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it. Nobody ever says "damn, wish I got the smaller engine". especially will fuel prices so low.
others have said to drive a loaded crew cab Ranger for a close comparison. I plan on doing that along with driving a 2.7 F150.

My dilemma is do I want more power over the engagement and fun of the manual? I’m leaning towards a fun manual. I would mod either one so power will be added no matter which I choose.
Sponsored

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Dick, I think I understand. Me, I'm old school, and can't imaging a 4 banger with a small turbo would be the right engine for a 4wd Bronco. But, then I have to remember these are not the old 4 bangers of old. And at my slightly more mature age that's even difficult.
I too am old school and thought the exact same thing before I bought my Ranger.
I absolutely can not believe that I talk praise about a 4 banger now. I never thought I would do that, but the 2.3 moves that truck better than my built up V8's in my cars of past.

To the OP, I personally wouldn't worry about longevity. The new motors are soooo much better built, and torture tested soooo much more than in the past. I just don't see the 2.7 outlasting the 2.3 by any significant amount.

pat86323

Badlands
First Name
Patric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 bronco xlt
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Like I said, I'm hopeful. But let's just say that if they took the 310HP engine from an STI and put it in a car that weighs half a ton more than the Impreza, I would NOT be impressed. At 4950lbs for a loaded 2 door 2.3L, a mere 120ftlbs of torque @ 2000RPM is... Well, disappointing. I've already got one car that can't accelerate going up a hill. I don't want another. All the dynos I've seen suggest that I need to get cheeks in seat before forming an opinion. So that's my plan right now.
I test drove a ranger, and intentionally drove it up a relatively short (probably between. 1/4 and 1/3 of a mile), but VERY steep hill. I was at 73mph by the time I made it to the top. The motor will handily accelerate up a hill, no questions asked.

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Nowadays Porsche is putting 4cyl turbos in their cars, which are supposed to be some of the most track ready and driven hard. Not equating ford engine to a porsche’s, but I’m not going to judge an engine just by the name.
Porsche 718 sales are down because of the 4 cyl and now they have re-introduced the 6 cylinder, a la the 718 GTS and GT4. They are being smart and giving the customer what they want. The performance numbers are great for the 4 cyl, but people just don't like it as much. The GT4 & GTS are naturally aspirated, while the 2.7L in the Bronco will have twin turbos. Can't wait to drive mine (with the big engine!).

Sponsored

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I too am old school and thought the exact same thing before I bought my Ranger.
I absolutely can not believe that I talk praise about a 4 banger now. I never thought I would do that, but the 2.3 moves that truck better than my built up V8's in my cars of past.

To the OP, I personally wouldn't worry about longevity. The new motors are soooo much better built, and torture tested soooo much more than in the past. I just don't see the 2.7 outlasting the 2.3 by any significant amount.
Exactly. Longevity should not be a concern. Materials are lubricants are much better. Your not going to "wear" the motor out like used to happen. Just don't use old school thinking of running a little thicker oil to protect it either. Use exactly what it calls for and change it when they say.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And that's a chrysler 4cyl......
Your point? I'm simply pointing out that a 4dr Bronco powered by a 4banger will be fine
Ford Bronco 4 cylinder 4 door? Really? 1599147354107

That was my old chart on my old mustang, FBO minus exhaust work and injectors, stock waste gate too I believe at the time

Last edited:

Odd-6

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We have 2 new rangers and work and I have a crew cab f150 with the 2.7L. hands down the 2.7L feels faster.

Passing speed with my f150 and E rated 33" tires isn't as grunty as off the line.

Unloaded either engine is fine, but loaded down with gear, likely heavier E rated tires and full cab of people it's 2.7L for me in my new bronco.

iamchewby

Badlands
First Name
Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why is everyone so concerned about this? This isn't the 4 cylinder out of 1990 Honda CRX. The thing comes with 270hp, your precious 5.8L in the '96 FSB had 205 and nobody even thinks about it because it has 8 cylinders. Just because people are consistently putting out 700hp supercars doesn't mean sub 300hp is trash. It's fine. We'll all be okay ;)

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Porsche 718 sales are down because of the 4 cyl and now they have re-introduced the 6 cylinder, a la the 718 GTS and GT4. They are being smart and giving the customer what they want. The performance numbers are great for the 4 cyl, but people just don't like it as much. The GT4 & GTS are naturally aspirated, while the 2.7L in the Bronco will have twin turbos. Can't wait to drive mine (with the big engine!).
I can't believe you just compared a Porsche and their buyers to a Ford Bronco and their buyers...

While we're in the 718 realm... it's a Boxster and never has nor never will be a real Porsche to me regardless of any numbers it puts up until the end of time. See how rational Porsche buyers are? That poor man's Porsche puts up impressive numbers all over and is totally different than a Boxster, but I and many others still consider it a trasher. That is how everyone complaining about cylinder count in the new Bronco sounds.

Sponsored

quattroa4m

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Titan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ford has been in Europe for many years and understands how to get incredible HP, torque, and fuel economy out of small displacement 4 bangers. At the same time, they’ve managed to get all three with amazing reliability.

The 2.3 is a cakewalk for Ford.

In Europe, they are up against the likes of VW and competing well. VW has managed to get crazy numbers out of small 4 bangers (350 HP and more) while providing tremendous reliability over the long haul.

This old schooler, who loves V8s and straight sixes, is impressed with what Ford has done.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was with you until here. That’s just not true.
Reading through old threads months later. I challenge (Pun intended?) anyone to go drive a Scat Pack Challenger and put it in Track or sport and try to drive away so I can laugh hysterically as you squeal the tires from 1/8 throttle pressure. I still do this every time I drive the car and I’ve had it for 16 months, pulls hard from down low.

quattroa4m

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Titan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I can't believe you just compared a Porsche and their buyers to a Ford Bronco and their buyers...

While we're in the 718 realm... it's a Boxster and never has nor never will be a real Porsche to me regardless of any numbers it puts up until the end of time. See how rational Porsche buyers are? That poor man's Porsche puts up impressive numbers all over and is totally different than a Boxster, but I and many others still consider it a trasher. That is how everyone complaining about cylinder count in the new Bronco sounds.
Remember the Porsche 912? 4 banger 911 for ”poor” folks. Porsche had a heck of a time selling them.

Now a 912 goes for crazy money...

Goocci gang

Base
First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jlu
Your Bronco Model
Base
And that's a chrysler 4cyl......
I've never met any wrangler owner who buys the 4 cyl. Maybe the housewives do. But no jeeper is buying the 4 cyl

Section8

Base
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Base
Does anyone have any stats? Some kind of measure showing 4 cyl SUVs just blow up at 100k? Anything other than something completely subjective? I have had 4 cyl, 6 cyl, and 8 cyl SUVs and trucks and so far, in terms of relaibility, the 4 cyl completely trounce the larger engines.

For some reason, I keep repeating this, but low HP engines have moved around big cars and trucks for decades and managed to do it with 300,000+ on the odometer. The 4 cyl 2021 Bronco produces more HP and more torque than the 8 cyl Bronco from 1996 which also weighed 4500 and some change.

I think people get a bit obsessed with the cylinder counts and displacement on engines. In no way is that a measure of engine reliability.
Sponsored