Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Sweet.
Sweet. Thanks. Yup she’s heavy, but realistically a couple hundred pounds above a Lariat Ranger 4x4. Again, the 2.3 in that truck is plenty strong...

Sponsored

Jook13

Base
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki samurai
Your Bronco Model
Base
Some of the most reliable engines out there are turbo diesels. Don't fear the turbo.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Some of the most reliable engines out there are turbo diesels. Don't fear the turbo.
But why add another major component when engine options exist without the added expense? There’s no disadvantage to just using a normal sized gas engine with the same power output.

pcullens

Base
First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Armada
Your Bronco Model
Base
Lot of overly general statements here. Power is a result of gearing associated with horsepower. My buddies 40 Hp John Deere could drag my 400+ Hp trans am all over and not break a sweat. Turbos do have to spin to make power. It isn’t instant on like a coyote. Trust me. I have both in Mustangs. The mustang manual is fine. There are just fewer and fewer people that can drive a stick. And the last comment I’ll make? The 2.3 is not bulletproof. I just had my Ecoboost mustang convertible short block replaced. Thank god it was under warranty. 5k worth of labor and parts. Had 15k miles on it. Cracks in cylinders 1 and 4.
My favorite off road vehicle is still the hum vee I drove in the Corps. Make the bronco feel like that. Who cares about speed in an ORV? I want grunt, and low end torque from the get go.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Lot of overly general statements here. Power is a result of gearing associated with horsepower. My buddies 40 Hp John Deere could drag my 400+ Hp trans am all over and not break a sweat. Turbos do have to spin to make power. It isn’t instant on like a coyote. Trust me. I have both in Mustangs. The mustang manual is fine. There are just fewer and fewer people that can drive a stick. And the last comment I’ll make? The 2.3 is not bulletproof. I just had my Ecoboost mustang convertible short block replaced. Thank god it was under warranty. 5k worth of labor and parts. Had 15k miles on it. Cracks in cylinders 1 and 4.
My favorite off road vehicle is still the hum vee I drove in the Corps. Make the bronco feel like that. Who cares about speed in an ORV? I want grunt, and low end torque from the get go.
Short block replaced at 15k?? Jeez. Must’ve been a manufacturing defect. At least it showed up early!

pcullens

Base
First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Armada
Your Bronco Model
Base
Short block replaced at 15k?? Jeez. Must’ve been a manufacturing defect. At least it showed up early!
Yeah. I was happy for that. And that’s 15k miles over two years. Took ten days. Short blocks were on backorder, so they brought in a long block. When the short block came in, they used that since it has been redesigned. I believe it is a known problem, that is being quietly warranted, to avoid negative publicity. If you peruse the Ecoboost forums, I’m not the only one. And my tune is a Ford Performance tune.

Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The ECO's I have lose a lot of power on really hot days. The coyote, feels almost the same @ 100 out. I thought Ford would put some monster IC's in to combat it, but the one I saw, looked no bigger than the one in my 2.7 fusion.

And it's also very low, in a vulnerable spot for sticks. 99% of the trails I'm on in the NE are in the forest and it overgrows trails that don't get used often, very quick. There are a couple older trails @ Rausch that you are literally driving through thick brush the entire trail. I've gotten sticks through my radiator, small trees wrapped around my axles, brake lines ripped off. Add in the main trails with "mudhole" after mudhole. I just don't see an IC as low down as I one I saw, being out of harms way enough.

I doubt Ford puts in a coyote, but that is really the smallest engine I'd want anyway. So some of us will wait for a factory warantee buyback or a wrecked one and build our own.

irv0735

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mercedes Sprinter 4x4, 2021 Bronco Reserved
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
diesel is just to slow and expensive for real world.
By "real world", do you mean the U.S. market? Not trying to hate on your comment, but turbo diesels are the normal in much of the world. They are reliable and the torque is fantastic for getting around rough terrain.

That said, in the US where everyone is in a much bigger hurry and emissions are more of a concern, diesels are not as practical for "light duty" vehicles, so I would agree with you there.

I'm with the OP though. Even here in the US, if the Bronco was released with a turbo diesel, I would consider it for my use cases with the Bronco!

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
By "real world", do you mean the U.S. market? Not trying to hate on your comment, but turbo diesels are the normal in much of the world. They are reliable and the torque is fantastic for getting around rough terrain.

That said, in the US where everyone is in a much bigger hurry and emissions are more of a concern, diesels are not as practical for "light duty" vehicles, so I would agree with you there.

I'm with the OP though. Even here in the US, if the Bronco was released with a turbo diesel, I would consider it for my use cases with the Bronco!
yes USA. USA Emissions and Taxation on diesels kill any reliability and efficiency you get. You end up with a worse motor. Yea you get more range but that’s about it.

Else where in the world taxes and emissions arnt as strict on diesels (yet) so that’s why they are more popular.

Only roughly 4% of all Jeep wranglers and Gladiators on the dealer lots are Diesel and I bet you they sit on the lot longer. So I would guess the take rate is close to 2-3% so roughly 5,000 units?

ford is going to jump into that market for 3,000 sales.

fyi Colorado and Canyon diesel is under 1%

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Would a fair comparison to gauge power and engine feel be to drive a four door crew cab Ranger with a 2.3 then drive an F150 with as low of a weight as possible with a 2.7? I understand the vehicle behaviors themselves will be different but my concern is engine only especially since we would be pulling trigger on something we can't even drive until we take delivery.

I am leaning heavily towards 2.7 as auto will be mandatory and I would rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it. Nobody ever says "damn, wish I got the smaller engine". especially will fuel prices so low.

Wedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 FX4/ 2013 Mustang GT/ 2016 Mazda CX-9
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I am having the same concerns about the 2.3 since I would want a manual. However, my wife drives a 4400 lb Mazda CX-9 with a turbo 4.

227 hp and 310 tq and that thing moves! It’s been a great car with no issues of weight vs HP or reliability

We also have two coyotes (mustang and 150) and right now I would still rather have the manual as opposed to the 2.7 auto
Sponsored