(4-door) 2.3L 7MT Badlands weighs 478lbs more than 2.3L 7MT Big Bend

manualT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
That is a good amount of added weight for the same powertrain and transmission.

As a manual transmission fan, like many, I come from sporty cars and (weight is the enemy), help me understand why it is OK to add ~ 500lbs to the same powertrain/transmission?

I might be completely misguided in this concern.

What advantages/capability are clearly superior Badlands vs Big Bend to justify the added weight?

Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Haystack

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well just off the top of my head, the BL has steel bumpers, bash plates, rock sliders, different suspension, beefier front end, and larger tires. There's other differences as well but those are some of the weight sensitive differences.

BlueOvalBandit

Badlands
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That is a massive amount of added weight. As a manual transmission fan, like many, I come from sporty cars and weight is the enemy, so help me understand why it is OK to add ~ 500lbs to the same powertrain/transmission?

I was set on the Badlands, but I had not looked over the weight penalty until tonight, and it is much more severe than I would have thought. I might be completely misguided, so I am asking for some help.

What advantages/capability are clearly superior Badlands vs Big Bend to justify the added weight?

Thanks in advance!!
First problem, you're comparing two completely different trim lines. These have different options such as wheels, tires, differentials, and sway bar disconnect to name a few things. It all adds up. If you compare transmissions on the same trim the manual is lighter, but not by much.

Rover72

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR, 18 Cadillac XT5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The BL is more off road capable out of the box than BB with the HOSS suspension, steel bumper, bash plate & bigger tires etc... which all add weight,

Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

They both have HOSS, the BL and up have a slightly different version. I've deleted the original PDF with details but the upper version might be position variable (which means there are drill holes within the cylinder to play with the damping force). Probably minimal weight difference in that aspect.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BL also has the advanced transfer case, probable weighs a bit more along with the heavier 210 front axle. I am kind of happy it adds that much weight, seems like maybe the gear is HD enough?

Werkedperformance

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
_full steel bash plates
_steel bumper
_front locker
_steel front differential Housing
_sway bar disconnect assembly
_each wheel and tire is heavier x5
_washout is probably heavier than carpet

pitter_patter

Badlands
First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Weight is always the enemy, but you have to trade weight for other advantages. Steel bumpers, bash plates, rock rails, bigger rubber.... Not sure if there is still a 500lb difference once you add all those things to the BB....

If you don't see those things as advantages based on your use, then save the weight.

Sponsored

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bit of weight is also the front diff. The 190 that is the std diff is aluminum while the 210 in BL is cast iron. Add to that the mentioned swaybar disco, bumpers and plates larger tires, resivor shocks, probably beefier springs and I can see it being a bit more

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

imo, thats actually not bad at all for a difference. wheels and tires alone is probably 150lbs. bumpers, plates, locker and armour is around another 178lbs minimum. plus suspension components, lights, and interior components at the remaining 150lbs.

OP
OP
manualT

manualT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thanks for all the great replies.

I told my dealer I want to see and hopefully drive one due to indecision on model and options.

Moving to MY22 to hopefully figure out my build.

(y)

OP
OP
manualT

manualT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Weight is always the enemy, but you have to trade weight for other advantages. Steel bumpers, bash plates, rock rails, bigger rubber.... Not sure if there is still a 500lb difference once you add all those things to the BB....

If you don't see those things as advantages based on your use, then save the weight.
Thanks for response,

I don’t think I need all the equipment on the BL Listed above.

My prference is to save some weight and go with a Big Bend. I think day to day it will suit my needs.

Does anyone know how much weight is added for modular front bumper and locking rear diff?

Mainerunr

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
That is a good amount of added weight for the same powertrain and transmission.

As a manual transmission fan, like many, I come from sporty cars and (weight is the enemy), help me understand why it is OK to add ~ 500lbs to the same powertrain/transmission?

I might be completely misguided in this concern.

Thanks in advance!!
Look at it as they removed 500lb from the same powertrain/transmission with the BB, not that they added it with the BL.
Sponsored