Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A tiny 2.7L engine that is not fuel efficient .... how FORD like

just why exactly are these small engines in the market place? why not just do a normally aspirated V6 if consumption is the same ?
The Bronco is heavy brick with no aerodynamics and large tires, it doesn't matter how efficient the engine is, you're not going to get great gas mileage. That said the gas mileage would be much worse with a normally aspirated engine. Turbochargers allows an automaker to substitute a smaller more fuel-efficient engine for a bigger engine, without sacrificing power.
Sponsored

TimmH

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
As a current Wrangler owner, I can tell you that interstate driving at 75mph does not increase your MPG. In fact on a trip over to Miami at a steady 78mph my MPG dropped from mid 17's to mid 15's.

The thing is a brick and the wind resistance really affects MPG. Now in my daily driving where most of my drive to work is on Speed Limit 45-50, and I can drive 55-60, I do the best, and can get the MPG up to low 18's.

This is on my '18 Wrangler JLUS, 4 door, 3.6L engine, 8 speed auto, and 33" A/T tires(33" KO2s on Fuel Rims)
Brand new on stock wheels I was averaging low 19, and that dropped to mid-upper 17 immediately upon wheel change.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
One thing to keep in mind is having your foot in these types of vehicles REALLY kills your mileage. My Jeep just cruising on flat highway at 65-70 gets about 19-20 MPG. Step that up to 75-80 and it immediately falls to 17ish, 85 is 15.5-16. And this is with a stick shift too.

Edit: I posted this before reading the thread fully but @TimmH above basically said what I said before I said it lol.

Sponsored

DeltaBravo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Delta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MIKES MOM
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am thinking 18-20 combined.
oh I’m sure the window sticker will say something like 18 city/ 21 highway but real world application (especially with 35s and any extra gear you throw on) will make that number drop.

I think my Tacoma got 22? But after adding armor and bigger tires and all the stuff I wanted to add I was getting 14. Doesn’t take much...

Delli555

Black Diamond
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Acadia
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

oh I’m sure the window sticker will say something like 18 city/ 21 highway but real world application (especially with 35s and any extra gear you throw on) will make that number drop.

I think my Tacoma got 22? But after adding armor and bigger tires and all the stuff I wanted to add I was getting 14. Doesn’t take much...
That makes sense. I am getting mine with 32s and mostly doing on road stuff the first few years, but I ikoagone my expectations will drop of I get bigger tires in a few years and on road trips when have things piled on roof and hitch with bikes.
I am curious to see how numbers changed with different configurations with doors and top off.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

some of you will learn eco mode.

DeltaBravo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Delta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MIKES MOM
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That makes sense. I am getting mine with 32s and mostly doing on road stuff the first few years, but I ikoagone my expectations will drop of I get bigger tires in a few years and on road trips when have things piled on roof and hitch with bikes.
I am curious to see how numbers changed with different configurations with doors and top off.
i really hope I’m wrong. But when I see the bronco sport getting 21MPG combined.... I just don’t think that’s going to be the case

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2021-ford-bronco-sport-mpg/

Delli555

Black Diamond
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Acadia
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sponsored

DeltaBravo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Delta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MIKES MOM
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Damn. That is all the sport gets?!? Crazy
the 2.0 liter badland bronco sport yes.

Gona be some salty bronco order holders

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Yeah, eco mode gonna be my “normal”mode. Lol
pretty much use it all the time on my F150 with a 3.5, it makes a pretty big difference even from just normal. I can get 21 city but if I run in normal mode it drops down to 19 range.

schlava

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F250; 2021 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ecoboost!

You can have Eco or Boost but you can't have both!

Reactions: abe

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is this supposed to be good? Doesn't seem good. But I always seem to have the least fuel efficient vehicle in town.
This is on par / good / great for a vehicle like this. (Shaped the way it is with the tires and gearing it has.)

One thing to keep in mind is having your foot in these types of vehicles REALLY kills your mileage. My Jeep just cruising on flat highway at 65-70 gets about 19-20 MPG. Step that up to 75-80 and it immediately falls to 17ish, 85 is 15.5-16. And this is with a stick shift too.

Edit: I posted this before reading the thread fully but @TimmH above basically said what I said before I said it lol.
This. My Jeep JK on 34 A/T tires and heavy bumpers and heavy exoskeleton cage will eek out 17mpg if I keep it between 2500 and 3000 rpms the entire time I'm driving, including a 0-60 time of about 43 seconds.

If I actually try to accelerate quickly, or I drive faster than 65mph my MPG drops to 14/15.
Sponsored