Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Interesting.....I am going to measure my 2 door Jeep just to compare
2DR Jeeps have the same front doors as 4DR Jeeps.
Sponsored

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
For a wide shouldered guy, this is worrisome.
I don't think sitting in the showroom is a very good test. Even in mild off-road driving you encounter many situations where the vehicle tilts with the terrain - which will often bounce you against the 4-door pillar.

I recall just after the reveal a Ford exec talking about how extensively they tested the design with petite women...they should have included more Large men.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I think it's all going to depend on leg and arm length... which will impact how far away from the steering wheel you want to sit.

Looking at the ride-along videos, it looks like the typical placement for the driver puts the headrest right at the front edge of the B-pillar... putting shoulders in front of the B-pillar.

No idea how tall these people are, though?

Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 11.12.57.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 11.13.41.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 11.14.54.png
Oh, I know. I was just saying that a tall slender Clint Eastwood type, might not have an issue, even if they were sitting with their shoulders next to the B-pillar.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
No idea how tall these people are, though.
yeah...difficult to guess - but most of the drivers seem to have a foot+ of available headroom.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I sat in one at Moab (2 dr), but like a DS, I didn't close the door. But it felt great. My LJ Jeep is very tight but, I got used to it pretty quickly. My Explorer is very wide, but the seats are set in board, I still don't like it after 7 years.

Sponsored

MN_OuterBanks

Outer Banks
First Name
AW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 SuperCrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’m a broad shouldered guy. Hoping I can sit in one before I truly have to make up my mind. My order is in, but I need to sit in one. I usually do not have the seat all the way back because I don’t like my legs stretched straight when I drive. Either way, I’ll probably still buy it and then sell it if I don’t fit. Lol

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't think sitting in the showroom is a very good test. Even in mild off-road driving you encounter many situations where the vehicle tilts with the terrain - which will often bounce you against the 4-door pillar.

I recall just after the reveal a Ford exec talking about how extensively they tested the design with petite women...they should have included more Large men.
I think the point of them calling out the petite women is that historically the only people that they *have* included were the larger men.... not that they took this as an opportunity to only include petite women.

I suspect that the Bronco will be no better or no worse for larger people as compared to similarly sized vehicles.

Fordmanbob

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 4x4 supercrew, 2006 F350 4x4 superc.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So is the 2 door different with the longer doors? I haven't studied this that closely.
The doors I think are 48" on a two door. Wider doors mean the B pillar is further back

MN_OuterBanks

Outer Banks
First Name
AW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 SuperCrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So there have been some feedback that the 4 door feels snug. Some discussions around the protruding B pillars. So I did some snooping and thought I’d share.
View attachment 106784
Granted this is a 2 door where the B pillars aren’t problematic since they’re further back. But what do you see here? There’s almost no space between the b pillar and seat is the obvious. What else do you see? The B pillar is align with the rear shoulder dimension. We have that number from Ford! It’s 51.8”. Fords 4 door shoulder room from door panel to door panel is 57.1” but B pillar to B pillar looks to be 51.8”.

And unfortunately the B pillars on the 4 door overlap your shoulders since the b pillars are pretty forward facing. Ie the side of you upper body rests against the b pillar if you’re say 6 ft tall and don’t have the seat forward.

here’s my outback
90496050-B6E5-4E8B-B377-5F295587A04F.jpeg

E2A7E179-4AD5-44E0-B2D5-B6D06448944B.jpeg

Similar at 52”. But Unfortunately the bronco doesn’t have these cut outs, and the seats are much further back in relation to the b pillar. So I put my seat all the way back in the tracks so I was sitting against the b pillar like I would be in a bronco. Then put a book up against the cut out to mimic what it would feel like.

F367AF15-C46F-4583-9488-A15EED981C32.jpeg

I’m 6’-0” 210 with a average shoulders. With my elbow on the arm rest holding the wheel, my tricep was within 0.5” of hitting that imaginary bronco b pillar. So that’s what some of the bigger guys are talking about with the b pillars.

hope this helps. If you’re concerned with width I would do the same thing in your current vehicle by putting your seat back to overlap the b pillar and see what 51.8” feels like.

for reference here are some photos of the 4 door. Note the b pillar curves up at the top which doesn’t help. It will clear your shoulders but something to consider.
E266DE9F-2E02-4519-80F7-46349E2E71B9.png

And here’s the seat all the way back in it’s track so you get a sense of the positioning of the bpillar
6D7BA037-D73D-4137-8858-A539F820E04C.png
This guy was 6’5, 350lbs, I saw this thread. That’s going to be the outlier in this equation. I’m 6’2, 275 and while I’m a bit worried, I’ll just move the seat forward a bit. I don’t like my seat back reclined that far so hopefully it will be fine. I still need to sit in one though!

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I’m a broad shouldered guy. Hoping I can sit in one before I truly have to make up my mind. My order is in, but I need to sit in one. I usually do not have the seat all the way back because I don’t like my legs stretched straight when I drive. Either way, I’ll probably still buy it and then sell it if I don’t fit. Lol
If you’re not already signed up. Here’s your chance.
EDIT: These appear to not be open yet.

APPLE FORD APPLE VALLEY, Saint Paul, MN
MAY 1, 2021

NORTH COUNTRY FORD, Minneapolis, MN
MAY 3, 2021

METROPOLITAN FORD, Eden Prairie, MN
MAY 4, 2021

SUPERIOR BROOKDALE FORD, Minneapolis, MN
MAY 5,2021

INNER GROVE FORD, Inver Grove Heights, MN
MAY 6, 2021

AUTONATION FORD WHITE BEAR LAKE, Saint Paul, MN
MAY 7, 2021

MORRIES MINNETONKA FORD, Hopkins, MN
MAY 8, 2021

Link to tour thread for others:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...dealer-add-your-findings-to-first-post.14479/

Last edited:

Sponsored

MN_OuterBanks

Outer Banks
First Name
AW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 SuperCrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

None of them are open. I’ve tried for days. I am confused by the 51.8” considering this from Ford website.

19AFD851-33E4-477D-9D77-3409DC8084AE.jpeg

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
None of them are open. I’ve tried for days.
Just updated my post. Looks like MN is still waiting for dates. The Southern dates for mid May popped up late last week. Maybe yours will be this week.

MN_OuterBanks

Outer Banks
First Name
AW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 SuperCrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Just updated my post. Looks like MN is still waiting for dates. The Southern dates for mid May popped up late last week. Maybe yours will be this week.
Thanks! Don’t get me wrong, I’d have to be really uncomfortable to be upset. The B pillar in my Taurus Limited is a bit close too, so I’ve probably become used to it.

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
@MN_OuterBanks 57.1" is door panel to door panel. If you're a decent height, chances are the B Pillars will overlap with your shoulders, since the B Pillars are really pushed up on the 4 door bronco. Usually the B pillars dont come into play on most trucks, but the 4 door bronco has b pillars that are 1. inline with the seats (unlike most trucks) and 2. are blocky to support the roof structure and dont have elbow cut-outs (unlike most trucks). We determined that the B Pillar to B Pillar width is the same as the rear shoulder room of the 2 door (51.8"). So you have to consider how far back back you'll be sitting to determine if your shoulder will be resting between a 51.8" width or a 57.1" width.

IfIHMadeA2021Scout

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Tremor, IH Scout 80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m not sure this is as much a matter of how tall you are as it’s how wide you are being tall. A large framed person would probably make most mid-size options interesting. If you’re tall and lean, it might not be an issue at all.
This.

I'm a big guy. Not wildly tall or fat. Just big and broad. On an airplane my shoulders hang over the sides of the seat. You wouldn't want to sit next to me. Some things you fit in and some you don't.

I filled my old Explorer Sport Trac. Seat was leaned back with the base tilted (up in front and down in rear) , hair rubbing the roof if I needed a haircut, shoulder against the B pillar. I had to lean forward to look out the window. Somehow it never bothered me.

I've never found a Toyota I fit in. Most RAM trucks are uncomfortable, Chevys are fine, Fords are great. I feel a Wrangler feels similar to my Explorer Sport Trac and does not bother me. Some "midsized" cars are fine and others are a joke.

The only way to tell if a vehicle is a problem or not is to go sit in it.

Maybe its my supermodel long legs that cause the problems. I'll find out tomorrow when I go to one of the Ford events.
Sponsored