ilbastarge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla X
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

UPDATE and edited - Looks like we gain another solid inch over the 51.8” benchmark. See photos below. The gap is ever so slightly bigger between the 4 door seat and b pillar. The B pillar on the 4 door must be a little bit bowed.

We have confirmed the 2 door b pillars are in fact 51.8” apart per the drawing and ford dimensions.

Nonetheless putting the exact inch aside, those bigger guys that have raised concerns with the 4 door have to do with the fact that your shoulders are sitting in between the pillars.
9C1848ED-5C85-4443-8A0A-CBF76A5A3E8A.png

0B868728-B253-4C3C-A32F-CF8FD8D7BED2.png

So there has been some feedback that the 4 door feels snug. Some discussions around the protruding B pillars. I did some snooping and thought I’d share.

0B6F647F-8A27-46D1-B66E-9CA07189D2DC.png

Granted this is a 2 door where the B pillars aren’t problematic since they’re further back. But what do you see here? There’s almost no space between the b pillar and seat is the obvious. What else do you see? The B pillar is align with the rear shoulder dimension. We have that number from Ford! It’s 51.8”. Fords 4 door shoulder room from door panel to door panel is 57.1” but B pillar to B pillar looks to be 51.8”.

And unfortunately the B pillars on the 4 door overlap your shoulders since the b pillars are pretty forward facing. Ie the side of you upper body rests against the b pillar if you’re say 6 ft tall and don’t have the seat forward.

Bere’s my outback

90496050-B6E5-4E8B-B377-5F295587A04F.jpeg

E2A7E179-4AD5-44E0-B2D5-B6D06448944B.jpeg

Similar at 52”. But Unfortunately the bronco doesn’t have these cut outs, and the seats are much further back in relation to the b pillar. So I put my seat all the way back in the tracks so I was sitting against the b pillar like I would be in a bronco. Then put a book up against the cut out to mimic what it would feel like.

F367AF15-C46F-4583-9488-A15EED981C32.jpeg

I’m 6’-0” 210 with a average shoulders. With my elbow on the arm rest holding the wheel, my tricep was within 0.5” of hitting that imaginary bronco b pillar. So that’s what some of the bigger guys are talking about with the b pillars.

hope this helps. If you’re concerned with width I would do the same thing in your current vehicle by putting your seat back to overlap the b pillar and see what 51.8” feels like.

for reference here are some photos of the 4 door. Note the b pillar curves up at the top which doesn’t help. It will clear your shoulders but something to consider.

E266DE9F-2E02-4519-80F7-46349E2E71B9.png

And here’s the seat all the way back in it’s track so you get a sense of the positioning of the bpillar

6D7BA037-D73D-4137-8858-A539F820E04C.png
Off-brand comparison: the 51.8 is similar to the 2016, and probably later as well, Chevy Colorado.
Sponsored

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm curious if you've sat in a wrangler and if so, did you have similar thoughts? I'm 6'2, 230 and also fairly broad shouldered. the Jeep is a little tight, but I like it. It seems right to me.
I haven't been in a JL so can't say. I suspect it's pretty similar.

The_Axeman

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco 4dr Badlands 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I currently drive a little 2018 Kia Sportage and the B pillar to B pillar measurement is 52”. While I’m a little surprised at this post and a little disappointed in the posted size of the Bronco - I’m 6’2”, 220lbs with very wide shoulders and my Kia isn’t an issue.
while not being “large” by any means - I don’t think it’s going to be a real issue for most of us. 🤷🏼‍♂️

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I currently drive a little 2018 Kia Sportage and the B pillar to B pillar measurement is 52”. While I’m a little surprised at this post and a little disappointed in the posted size of the Bronco - I’m 6’2”, 220lbs with very wide shoulders and my Kia isn’t an issue.
while not being “large” by any means - I don’t think it’s going to be a real issue for most of us. 🤷🏼‍♂️
I agree. I’m not personally concerned. Just sharing this for the bigger folk, or those that are under the impression this truck is much bigger than it is

BD1

Badlands
First Name
BD1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Measured my 2018 2 Door JK Rubicon

51" interior B column

On the Jeep website it says front shoulder room is 55.7", compared to 57.1" for the Bronco (assuming they measure this the same way)

I also measured interior window glass to glass which is 60"

Sponsored

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My two cents ... I’m 6-2 and 267 lbs. I drive a Ford Edge. The B pillars on the edge are about 3 inches farther apart than the Bronco will be. I don’t know how much the arm rest differs but I think the Bronco space between seats looks a little smaller.

I have *never* been crowded by the B pillars in the Edge. I don’t see 1.5 inches on each side being a deal breaker. I suspect another inch is hiding in the arm rest, which helps further account for the difference.

source: used a tape measure inside my own car this afternoon. It was about 2-3 inches more than the 51.x being reported for the Bronco.

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My two cents ... I’m 6-2 and 267 lbs. I drive a Ford Edge. The B pillars on the edge are about 3 inches farther apart than the Bronco will be. I don’t know how much the arm rest differs but I think the Bronco space between seats looks a little smaller.

I have *never* been crowded by the B pillars in the Edge. I don’t see 1.5 inches on each side being a deal breaker. I suspect another inch is hiding in the arm rest, which helps further account for the difference.

source: used a tape measure inside my own car this afternoon. It was about 2-3 inches more than the 51.x being reported for the Bronco.
What happens when you move your seat back 4” so your shoulders are aligned with the B pillar, and you erase 1-1.5” inches of clearance? That’s likely more the real feel.

the alignment of the b pillar to the seats it’s more the issue for taller folks. Whether these dimensions are 52” or 53”.... Because it’s a world of difference if the seat is aft the b pillar and now your talking about published shoulder room that’s 57” (per bronco) or maybe an inch or two wider (for the edge). Versus a b pillar in your shoulder blade that 52-53” wide

ColbyFromBama

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is exactly why I’m getting the 2-Door. It has more shoulder room and hip room. The overall proportions are just better.

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
What happens when you move your seat back 4” so your shoulders are aligned with the B pillar, and you erase 1-1.5” inches of clearance? That’s likely more the real feel.

the alignment of the b pillar to the seats it’s more the issue for taller folks. Whether these dimensions are 52” or 53”.... Because it’s a world of difference if the seat is aft the b pillar and now your talking about published shoulder room that’s 57” (per bronco) or maybe an inch or two wider (for the edge). Versus a b pillar in your shoulder blade that 52-53” wide
i do not yet have a good answer for that. I’m signed up to see a mannequin at my dealer toward the end of April. my biggest concern has always been passenger space, so I will try to revert with better info then.

Sponsored

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Turns out the 2-door isn't 'form over function'; its 'form AND function'.
Yeah, it's nice that one can sleep in a 4-door but I can SIT in my 2-door! 🤪

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
After looking at some more photos, if i had to venture a guess, the cut out / indented area for the belt on the 2 door reveals how much the B pillar is shaved down on the 4 door. The b pillars on the two door are slightly thicker for cosmetic purposes so they could be flush with the side paneling of the rear seats. So the face of the 4 door B pillar could be the equivalent of the belt cut-out on the 2 door, given the belts on the 4 door are are not recessed and attach to the structure behind the plastic.

That picks up maybe 0.5" or a hair more on each side. So 51.8" on the 2 door becomes closer to 53". That's consistent with the slight increase of gap between the seat and the B pillar of the 4 door vs the 2 door. But either way, it's the "sitting in between the B pillars" that causes constraints on the 4 door depending on your size.

Ford Bronco 4 door Bronco shoulder room, B pillar pinch point 0E6DBFA8-1397-4577-AE64-370DC9E6D970

Last edited:

IfIHMadeA2021Scout

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Tremor, IH Scout 80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This.

I'm a big guy. Not wildly tall or fat. Just big and broad. On an airplane my shoulders hang over the sides of the seat. You wouldn't want to sit next to me. Some things you fit in and some you don't.

I filled my old Explorer Sport Trac. Seat was leaned back with the base tilted (up in front and down in rear) , hair rubbing the roof if I needed a haircut, shoulder against the B pillar. I had to lean forward to look out the window. Somehow it never bothered me.

I've never found a Toyota I fit in. Most RAM trucks are uncomfortable, Chevys are fine, Fords are great. I feel a Wrangler feels similar to my Explorer Sport Trac and does not bother me. Some "midsized" cars are fine and others are a joke.

The only way to tell if a vehicle is a problem or not is to go sit in it.

Maybe its my supermodel long legs that cause the problems. I'll find out tomorrow when I go to one of the Ford events.
So went and sat in an Outer Banks today at the introduction event at Tuttle Click Ford in Irvine. This is the same Black 4 door soft top that is working its way north out of San Diego, through Orange County and up to LA. I'm sure you've all seen pictures.

Seats are comfortable. I had to slide it all the way back to make room for my legs which was expected. I didn't adjust the tilt so call it normal. My shoulder is into the B pillar, not near it, up against it. If the seatbelt hanger was in a different spot there would have been a problem.
I could not put my arm down because of the B pillar. The driver door was off so I did not get to put my arm on the door sill. With my arm on the steering wheel my shoulder was still against the B pillar but it was not a problem or uncomfortable. I was square in the seat. There was more than enough head room.

In the passenger seat it was the same but I was able to rest my arm on the window sill. It would be uncomfortable with the window up or I would need to lean in to make room for my arm.

My wife was comfortable where ever she sat in the Bronco except behind me after I adjusted the seat back.

When we left and I got into my F-250 I was reminded why I bought something so big. We're still getting the Bronco. It was the size I expected.
Sponsored