Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 Dr IS MIC Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’m pretty sure this has been settled for a while (confirmed after a Q+A with Ford rep)

All hard top models have the two removable “freedom” panels over the front row.

Here’s the breakdown:

2-door MIC: 2 freedom panels, rear clamshell (3)
2-door modular: 2 freedom panels, one panel over the back seat (gunner hatch), 2 rear windows, rear clamshell (6)

4-door MIC: 2 freedom panels, one panel over the back seat, rear clamshell (4)
4-door modular: 2 freedom panels, one panel over the back seat, 2 rear windows, rear clamshell (6)
My only question has been:
Can each of the hard top panels stay on (safely for driving) independently of each other? I would like to at times have rear clamshell off with panels over front/rear seating still on (with doors off as well).

Theres a picture of a bronco on one of the trails doing this w front 2 panels on but obviously at slow speed.
Sponsored

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ok, but how do you do that, and offer a less expensive soft top?
I'll let you in on a little secret from someone who used to mold plastic in boat manufacturing. The plastic beads they mold items with is pennies on the dollar. That $700 hard top for the 4 door might cost around $200-$400 to make once you consider added hardware and sealing. I'm all for businesses making a profit (they have to) but I don't agree with raping the consumer with 100+ percent markups. Plus, if you price your items cheaper than the competition while still making a profit, you'll offset the discounted price with volume sold.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll let you in on a little secret from someone who used to mold plastic in boat manufacturing. The plastic beads they mold items with is pennies on the dollar. That $700 hard top for the 4 door might cost around $200-$400 to make once you consider added hardware and sealing. I'm all for businesses making a profit (they have to) but I don't agree with raping the consumer with 100+ percent markups. Plus, if you price your items cheaper than the competition while still making a profit, you'll offset the discounted price with volume sold.
Sure, but you also have to find a way to pay for everything *around* the product.

You could maybe sell the top for $500 and still make a profit, but they probably have to mark it up so much to cover all the OT Mike Lavigne is wracking up responding to our tweets.

Firefly

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ford F250 Super Duty
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Sure, but you also have to find a way to pay for everything *around* the product.

You could maybe sell the top for $500 and still make a profit, but they probably have to mark it up so much to cover all the OT Mike Lavigne is wracking up responding to our tweets.
Factor in R&D, assembly and marketing before we make assumptions on real costs and profit margins.

Jmgunn0124

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 TJ
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My only question has been:
Can each of the hard top panels stay on (safely for driving) independently of each other? I would like to at times have rear clamshell off with panels over front/rear seating still on (with doors off as well).

Theres a picture of a bronco on one of the trails doing this w front 2 panels on but obviously at slow speed.
Might be able to get away with that. Just get a mesh top for under the hard top. Take the whole top off and you have mesh between you and the sun but still feel open air. Cuts the sunlight, in, and even heat drastically.

Sponsored

Jmgunn0124

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 TJ
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I kind of wish that ford stuck to one of their renderings with the non removable top, dual/triple sunroof and auto rear window. You could go quasi convertible at the flick of a switch.

What I dislike the most about the hardtop is that I HATE driving cars with the sunroof shade closed. The bronco will be effectively that unless I remove the top two panels, which IMO I’m only going to do during joy rides and most certainly not going to do when the toddlers are in the back (wife rules). Sometimes I wonder why I’m getting this at all. Lol. I’d probably get more real time open air use with a 4 runner given I could quickly roll down the rear window and sunroof.

And while the functionality of the bronco flip up front panel is preferred I just can’t bring myself to do it given it will horribly contrast with my white top.
That is a shame. My toddler LOVES the doors and top off my Jeep. I do need to get a cargo net though to make sure he doesn’t escape lol

GetBucked

Big Bend
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So... anyone know if the MIC hard top will be available at the parts counter??? I’m getting the soft top on mine for convenience (folding down rather than 2 people having to lift it off). But if the hard top is available at the parts counter for $700... Might be a cheap work around for the dual top option ???. I’d like the hard top for the cold/snowy Michigan winters.

Jmgunn0124

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 TJ
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So... anyone know if the MIC hard top will be available at the parts counter??? I’m getting the soft top on mine for convenience (folding down rather than 2 people having to lift it off). But if the hard top is available at the parts counter for $700... Might be a cheap work around for the dual top option ???. I’d like the hard top for the cold/snowy Michigan winters.
If it is I’m sure it will probably still be much more than $700. Have to remember those who upgrade to the $700 hard top are paying that much extra even though the cost of the soft top is being subtracted from the price of the Bronco. That is the cost of upgrading, not the cost of the hard top.

GetBucked

Big Bend
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If it is I’m sure it will probably still be much more than $700. Have to remember those who upgrade to the $700 hard top are paying that much extra even though the cost of the soft top is being subtracted from the price of the Bronco. That is the cost of upgrading, not the cost of the hard top.
Right. Guess it would be interesting to see how all of these are priced as stand alone parts.

Bacon

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 Dr IS MIC Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It will be more the $700 purchasing thru Ford later on. The $700 is an added charge that accounts for what you were paying for the soft top. Soft top comes off the build but its $$ remains plus the $700.

Sponsored

GotGOAT

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I think that is right. Also remember that if you buy the hardtop later you will not have the electrical and plumbing lines for the defroster, rear wiper, and rear washer. I think if a hard top is in the mix for you and your family it is way cheaper and more convenient to just option it, buy once, cry once is definitely in play with the hard top.

GetBucked

Big Bend
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It will be more the $700 purchasing thru Ford later on. The $700 is an added charge that accounts for what you were paying for the soft top. Soft top comes off the build but its $$ remains plus the $700.
I can dream right?! ?. Yeah I guess I didn’t quite think about that when I got myself excited about a back door dual top option lol.

GetBucked

Big Bend
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I think that is right. Also remember that if you buy the hardtop later you will not have the electrical and plumbing lines for the defroster, rear wiper, and rear washer. I think if a hard top is in the mix for you and your family it is way cheaper and more convenient to just option it, buy once, cry once is definitely in play with the hard top.
This is true. Guess I’d have to determine if it’s easier/cheaper to go hard top from factory and then get an aftermarket soft top. I’m pretty confident that Best Top will be rolling them out shortly after launch.
Sponsored