Sponsored

4 Door MIC hardtop with roof rails - can't get them off.

the_citizen_1

Badlands
First Name
Mattt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Volkswagen R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey folks.

I might be a total tool here, but hear me out.

I've watched all the videos from Ford & others on removing the hardtop roof w/ rails. In short, you have to remove the hex bolts on the front of the rails, and then the triangle head bolts from the back of the rails, and then lift the rails back off the truck. All (I mean ALL) the videos are 2 doors though...

I've tried on my 4 door and for the life of me, I can't get the rails off. The front of the rails lift off no prob, but the rear is just...stuck. I've tried taking off the cover and removing the hex bolts there, but no dice. Brought it to the dealership, the sales guy didn't know what to do & the techs in the shop were all: "Huh, that's weird."

So I'm stuck not being able to get the middle and rear off, because the rails have to come off first. I'm in Canada, so I have a few months to figure this out (there's snow already lol fml) but it's driving me mental.

Any help? Anyone else having this trouble? Advice?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Back Diamond 4 door MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

no help here - but a question - Did the front roof panels come out ok with the rails installed ?

OP
OP

the_citizen_1

Badlands
First Name
Mattt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Volkswagen R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
no help here - but a question - Did the front roof panels come out ok with the rails installed ?
Yep, the front panels can slide out under the rails no prob.

OP
OP

the_citizen_1

Badlands
First Name
Mattt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Volkswagen R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

Jweb12

Badlands
First Name
Jill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Oh deadly, thank you. I searched but didn't find that one - much appreciated. I'll try the crossbar technique and see if that helps any. Dang I'm not impressed w/ how tough this is. I hope it's easier after the first time.
Curious, did the dealership install the roof rack or was this already added?

BOLD Renegade93

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Oh deadly, thank you. I searched but didn't find that one - much appreciated. I'll try the crossbar technique and see if that helps any. Dang I'm not impressed w/ how tough this is. I hope it's easier after the first time.
Hey that's my thread! Welcome to my world friend, lol. I'm going to try and shim a screwdriver between the metal clamp and the roof with a rag in between to see if I can get enough room to clear the roof lip. I was close the first time, but those videos make it seem like it's a simple lift off process.

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Jeep XJs, Dodge M880, Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hey that's my thread! Welcome to my world friend, lol. I'm going to try and shim a screwdriver between the metal clamp and the roof with a rag in between to see if I can get enough room to clear the roof lip. I was close the first time, but those videos make it seem like it's a simple lift off process.
Try slipping a couple pieces of cardboard between the metal clips and the MIC. Then lift it off. The card board keeps the clips from slipping back under the MIC.
Sponsored