Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I had only a soft top on my 2003 Wrangler in Arizona. The windows would unzip out of the top and the top folded up (not very neatly) in the back. I had a protective sleeve to store the windows in. The soft top was great for Arizona. I had the top down for several months at a time. I didn't need it for work, so I could take it out whenever the weather was good.

I'm getting a 2 dr Bronco and will stick to the hard top (even if an aftermarket soft top comes out) because I'm in Illinois. For me, the hard top/ soft top is deep is dependent on weather where you live, and whether it is a toy or dd.
Sponsored

mtap

Black Diamond
First Name
Mervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, Hummer H3, Harley Sportster
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I don’t like the extra “dangle” on the soft top, so hard top it is..

07CD1FB2-E363-4446-B937-A2CF2D0093CE.jpeg

HobbyPro

Black Diamond
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Telluride
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I can't answer that because I want both. Honestly I will probably have the hard top on most of the time but the soft top is just more convenient. The decision comes down to what the specific differences are between the types of tops and exact pricing. With the proposed pricing both is a lot pricy in my opinion.

Last edited:

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I had a premium soft top on my Jeep. Never leaked, high quality and easy to remove side windows and fold everything back for open top. Soft windows take up minimal space in the trunk area.

dual top offering- realize the hard top takes up ALOT of space so you have to plan where are you going to store the top when using the soft top. Problem for some, not for every home. And it’s a two person job to remove it unless you rig up a hoist to do it.

I purchased a HT from jeeper that had dual top. There will be many available as time goes on. Many dual owners find soft top is good enough for their needs and make a quick $1000 selling the HT.

security - soft top, just un zip window (or cut them) for access. Hard top, window will get broken if they want in.

HT is quieter but premium soft top is not LOUD, just not as quiet as HT. I never got cold in a soft top so insulation in Winter was not a problem.

HT can remove roof panels, but you need space to store them in Bronco. When I go camping I can’t remove the roof, trunk area full of gear. With soft top I could pull roof back while loaded down with gear.

Sponsored

Corsair

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

because windows never get broken in SF?
It’s a lot quieter cutting open something than breaking a window. Plus, I’d rather replace a window than the whole top.

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It’s a lot quieter cutting open something than breaking a window. Plus, I’d rather replace a window than the whole top.
they don’t care, if they want in it gets broken or cut. Cutting a soft window does not require replacing the whole top. No need cutting the roof when a single plastic window is all needs to be cutor simply unzipped to gain entry. Don’t know why you want to replace the entire top?

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ideally both, if that option is not crazy expensive, otherwise HT first since I want the plumbing and wiring for the wiper/washer to be there (I believe if you order a Wrangler with ST they don't put that harness in and it's a PITA to add later).
I'd probably mostly run the ST since I rarely get on any freeway unless off for a trip, but I want everything to be there for a HT should I want it on there of for going up to the snow etc.

I don't think we've seen the real ST yet, how it works, how easy, what to remove or not remove etc, but from the idea it's much easier to open things up on the fly and close them back (like when parking in the sun for a long time or the occasional rain), I'd most likely not have the HT panels in the trunk all the time.

As for security, no difference. Most car break ins here are done with a window popper, cheap at any hardware store, almost completely quiet. I'm sure you can find plenty videos on youtube to see how fast and quiet that is. A laptop on your seat will be gone in 30 sec and nobody will pay any attention or even notice.

Cars get broken into here all the time, always the windows get popped, often at night, nobody ever hears anything.

PecOBX

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Jeep CJ7
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have owned 3 jeeps with different tops. If I have one top to select give me the soft top. I like to drive with the top off a lot and the ability to fold it up and store in the back in case weather changes fast is helpful. And the soft top was fine in winter (I live in the NE) and the noise level was never an issue. I know the Bronco comes with a modular top but I believe to take it with you uses up all storage space in the back of a four door, so again soft top provides more flexibility.

Sponsored

Broncomputer

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like the idea of a soft top in general. I really enjoyed the soft top cars I had.

I like the ease and modular nature of the soft top, but I wish the plastic windows were glass.

But I don't like the lack of security of the soft top. Especially over the trunk area.

I would like a hard top too, but either in painted black or white. It's all going to boil down to cost and whether they offer a white hardtop.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ideally both, if that option is not crazy expensive, otherwise HT first since I want the plumbing and wiring for the wiper/washer to be there (I believe if you order a Wrangler with ST they don't put that harness in and it's a PITA to add later).
A Ford rep at the Super Celebration said that the electrical and plumbing for the hard top is included even if you only got the soft top. We should wait for further confirmation, but that's exactly what I wanted to hear (I wasn't there but suggested the question on here).

LandCruiser

Base
First Name
Bocephias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Quieter? Why be quiet?

It's not like SFPD are going to do anything if they hear or see a vehicle break-in, and all the city residents have already learned to tune out car alarms.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Final FINAL answer. Today.