Sponsored

4 door Soft-top not latching at B pillar.

BulldogBear

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2000 Mercedes-Benz G500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The latch on the driver's side of my soft-top at the B pillar won't lock in place - the "J" shaped hook can't get underneath the sleeved collar no matter how much pressure I put on it - it just seems like there isn't enough room.

I've heard of instances of people driving w/out this latched at highway speeds and the top getting blown completely open, and I certainly don't want this to happen.

Anyone else experience this or know of a fix?

Ford Bronco 4 door Soft-top not latching at B pillar. IMG_3264.JPG

Sponsored

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

A. Try letting it spam down.
B. With the @IAG Performance rear struts, they provide some extra oomph.

CobraKaiSG

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TTS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
i had this- i loosened the bolts holding the piece that it latches to and then latched it and then tightened them down- it gave me the few millimeters i needed to make it work. i still have to push it really hard to make it latch which i don't like but it's working now

Wannabe Techie

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

HappeNed to me and I folded it all the way back down and lifted it up again but from inside the car and in the middle. Wanted to make sure it was even coming back up vs trying to do it from one side. Not sure what worked but it closed.

Sponsored

taysha62

Big Bend
First Name
Taysha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So I had this same issue and unfortunately my top ended up getting blown up in the wind and bent. It broke two pieces off from the side window seals also. Also when I take it down completely it does not latch. My dealer I went to said they will not warranty it because they do not want to pay the 11k they have to in order to get the part. They said they see it is bent but they tried it 8 times and it latched fine. I told them I would come and show them how it does not for me. They left before I got there. So now I have a new vehicle with a bent top that the company will not fix. Ford gave me a case number but thats it. I sadly am trying to find the parts and fix it myself and keep a bent frame. And cancel my extended warranty. Clearly they don't care about customers. They had the nerve to tell me not to have the top off on windy days or the expressway!!

50128864-391D-4614-A0F7-54E1699BBB54 copy.jpg

taysha62

Big Bend
First Name
Taysha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
i had this- i loosened the bolts holding the piece that it latches to and then latched it and then tightened them down- it gave me the few millimeters i needed to make it work. i still have to push it really hard to make it latch which i don't like but it's working now
Mine doesnt latch while all the way down either.

CobraKaiSG

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TTS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Mine doesnt latch while all the way down either.
after i pushed really hard on the lever and loosened the bolts and moved it a tiny bit it works 100% easily now for me. also, when it sits in the hot july sun it works 100% because the metal gets softer from the heat

OP
OP
BulldogBear

BulldogBear

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2000 Mercedes-Benz G500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I had this same issue and unfortunately my top ended up getting blown up in the wind and bent. It broke two pieces off from the side window seals also. Also when I take it down completely it does not latch. My dealer I went to said they will not warranty it because they do not want to pay the 11k they have to in order to get the part. They said they see it is bent but they tried it 8 times and it latched fine. I told them I would come and show them how it does not for me. They left before I got there. So now I have a new vehicle with a bent top that the company will not fix. Ford gave me a case number but thats it. I sadly am trying to find the parts and fix it myself and keep a bent frame. And cancel my extended warranty. Clearly they don't care about customers. They had the nerve to tell me not to have the top off on windy days or the expressway!!
Thank stinks - especially the part about not having the top partially opened on the express way, when I believe their is Ford documentation stating it's perfectly fine to drive on the freeway that way (as long as the B-pillar is latched).

Actually, after I got the B-pillar latched, both of the front alignment pins for the A-pillars were out of alignment - about 1/4" too far forward toward the front bumper. I tried putting it in the shade, leaving it in the sun, neither worked to provide enough expansion/contraction in the top to give me enough leeway to have those even get close to their holes.

I ended up unlatching the B-pillar again and was then able to clamp the A-pillar hooks. Now I just have to remember to re-latch that B-pillar whenever I'm only opening up the front portion of the top - definitely not ideal.
Sponsored