First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi! Based on what I have read on the forum lately, the E Rating provides more plys and the ability for much more PSI. Because of this, it will also have a stiffer sidewall, hence a stiffer, harsher ride.

I am choosing between two A/T tire types now:

1.) 40 lb. Standard Load (SL) with a max. 44 PSI
2.) 48 lb. E Rated with a max. 80 PSI

Seems like I should get the SL for a 95% daily driver.

Agree? Thoughts? Thanks!
You don't have to run them at the maximum pressure, especially if you are not running around at max GVW.
Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have Cooper Discoverer HT3 tires on the Wife's Expedition. I'll either go with those or with General Grabbers.
I like the grabbers. I have em on my tremor. They’ve performed very well so far.

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

E is overkill, but an SL tire is going to puncture from a twig. My wife had P rated tires on her Expy and they went flat from a cholla spine.

I'll be putting E rated tires on my base. C would be fine, but selection is terrible. For every C rated tire out there there are 80 E rated ones.
I agree with this. SL is too light duty for a Bronco whether it's crawling rocks or dodging pot holes. E is overkill for street use but you're kind of forced into it if you want an LT tire on a 17" wheel. I would never venture off pavement with an SL tire, that much is certain.

OP
OP
StuRox

StuRox

Base
First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have Cooper Discoverer HT3 tires on the Wife's Expedition. I'll either go with those or with General Grabbers.
Cool! If the tire I am looking at is a 40 lb. Standard Load (SL) with a max. 44 PSI, should I run all 4 at 35 PSI?

2.3BigBend

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Work Beater
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hi! Based on what I have read on the forum lately, the E Rating provides more plys and the ability for much more PSI. Because of this, it will also have a stiffer sidewall, hence a stiffer, harsher ride.

I am choosing between two A/T tire types now:

1.) 40 lb. Standard Load (SL) with a max. 44 PSI
2.) 48 lb. E Rated with a max. 80 PSI

Agree? Thoughts? Thanks!
If you can find the tire you want, or something you can live with in XL or SL, then YES absolutely stay away from the "E" tire. I am in a predicament where "E" is about my only choice based on size. If you're in that position, google/YouTube "tire chalk test" to set your tires at the correct (lowest possible) PSI to help offset the "E" load range. Some people think because a sidewall says "max load 2,690 lbs at 80 PSI" that their tires should be set at 80 PSI. You might as well not have shocks on you Bronco if you go that route.

Sponsored

NotGuilty

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks! @AZ_Liberty - Please report back if you find an 'E' that rides fairly smoothly and quietly on highways. I am getting a Base, too.
I'm running E rated 285/80R17s Falken Wildpeaks AT3w's on my half ton truck and I never tow. They ride just fine and have no more noise than a factory AT tire would. Once the factory Sasquatch tires are crap I'll be getting Wildpeaks again. Huge fan of them over the KO2s.

0406191726a_HDR.jpg

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Some people think because a sidewall says "max load 2,690 lbs at 80 PSI" that their tires should be set at 80 PSI.
That would be my wife. She was running the tires in her Expy at 80 lbs. I took them down to 50.

f1loco

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Ranger Tremor, Porsche 911SC, Willys CJ-2A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I like the grabbers. I have em on my tremor. They’ve performed very well so far.
They GRAB too much for me - slinging rocks like fireworks underneath. New Yoko MT G003's going on tomorrow for the Tremor - yes E rated - but a great soft compound. Loved them on my RAM.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I haven't seen you post in a while, so, how are you liking the Tremor by now? With rear locker, 2.3, 10 spd and 32's (?) I figure it performs sorta like my ordered BB, except wheelbase/suspension differences.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Agree? Thoughts? Thanks!
5% off-road is actually a decent amount....a day or two a month off road is too much to recommend an SL tire. I would run at least a C, maybe a D depending on the brand and model. Those type tires will run fine on a relatively heavy Bronco, and generally will be much better suited for the 5% of the time where it matters whether the tire holds up.

Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They GRAB too much for me - slinging rocks like fireworks underneath. New Yoko MT G003's going on tomorrow for the Tremor - yes E rated - but a great soft compound. Loved them on my RAM.
Brother, you have never said more accurate words. The Grabbers do throw rocks like it’s going out of style. The one major downside.

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I haven't seen you post in a while, so, how are you liking the Tremor by now? With rear locker, 2.3, 10 spd and 32's (?) I figure it performs sorta like my ordered BB, except wheelbase/suspension differences.
Oh, your Bronco would smoke me in the Tremor. Don’t get me wrong, it’s an amazing truck.. but it’s a truck. The turning radius is worse, the break over angles are way worse, and it’s a challenge to stay on some of these smaller Jeep trails.

With that said, I love everything about the Ranger Tremor. Fantastic vehicle. I’m gonna miss it if my Bronco ever actually gets built. For what it is, it’s a killer deal.

I just did an 8.5 out of 10 trail a few weeks back and managed to ding my rear driver side door on a Boulder. That’s life!

9C313867-29C8-4AF9-A532-59225770AE6B.png

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Oh, your Bronco would smoke me in the Tremor. Don’t get me wrong, it’s an amazing truck.. but it’s a truck. The turning radius is worse, the break over angles are way worse, and it’s a challenge to stay on some of these smaller Jeep trails.

With that said, I love everything about the Ranger Tremor. Fantastic vehicle. I’m gonna miss it if my Bronco ever actually gets built. For what it is, it’s a killer deal.

I just did an 8.5 out of 10 trail a few weeks back and managed to ding my rear driver side door on a Boulder. That’s life!

Ford Bronco 40 lb. Standard Load (SL) Tire vs. 48 lb. E Rated Tire 9C313867-29C8-4AF9-A532-59225770AE6B
Looks like a lotta folks have left rubber and metal on that rock! Way to get out there!

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Jeep XJs, Dodge M880, Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It’s the stock 16” rims that limit your choices for C rated tires, especially in the stock 255/70R16 (31”) size. If you’re OK with larger tires, there are a few LT265/75R16 (32”) C load tires.
I recommend considering getting some 17” wheels. I’ve already seen some Black Diamond steel wheels for sale. Mine will be soon after I take delivery. There are many choices for C load tires for 17 wheels, but again most (LT265/70s, LT255/75s, LT285/70s) 32” or bigger.
Sponsored