First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT (Bagged and Boosted) x 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hey everyone! Posted in my build thread, but figured this would be valuable to post in its own thread, too. I did a ton of looking around for roof racks and started with the DV8 rack, but the roof panels were not able to come off. Something else I didn't love was that it was more of a basket style. I'm planning on adding a rooftop tent so I'd love for the cross bars to be top-mounted.

The Hooke Road rack comes in at $475 with code "DOTY5" at checkout. Disclaimer: I am a part of their affiliate program, so your purchase doesn't cost you anything, but it does help me out when you use my code, plus you get to save 5% on their site.

Ordered here: https://www.hookeroad.com/?ref=NPJBJ

Ordering experience - Easy peasy. This was a classic Shopify eCommerce checkout process. All is good here.

Shipping time - 5 days from the order being placed to delivery at my house in Sacramento, CA

Packaging - Very nice thick plastic and everything is nice and tight. No shipping damage. The hardware bag had a small hole but nothing came out.

Powder coating - Rough textured powder coating seems to be well covered on all of the edges and looks right at home on top of the bronco.

Branding - This is pretty minimal. There's a Ford-style oval logo on the front wind fairing and what looks like a CNC laser cut out on the rear fairing. You could easily wrap over the front Ford-style oval logo. Doesn't really bother me, though.

Installation - EASY EASY EASY. Take your time and you can accomplish everything with 4 tools. You'll need a 3, 4, and 5mm Allen wrenches and a 10mm to mount around the windshield. I LOVE how the extruded aluminum cross bars are already threaded. This is so much better than the DV8 where you had to have a wrench on both sides.

Styling - I really like how slim it sits to the roof line and the rear side pieces curve around the hatch. It really gives it a premium look and feel. From the rear, this gives it the illusion it's actually sitting lower than it is. The extruded aluminum cross bars look great and all fit together well. There was one with threads that wouldn't get fully tightened so I reached out to Hooke Road and they're going to be working on a replacement for me. Easy swap with an Allen key. No biggy there - they're making it right, what more could you ask for?

Overall, this seems like an amazing buy for <$500 and still being able to remove your roof panels. The steel is thicker than my DV8 rack and I fully trust this thing with my future roof top tent. I'll be putting this thing through its paces this summer up around the Sierras and Lake Tahoe so I'll keep everyone updated. Let me know if you have any questions about it. You can check out my install video on my YouTube channel below.

Ford Bronco $475 Hooke Road Discovery Roof Rack -- Review Screenshot 2023-03-16 at 3.55.47 PM

Ford Bronco $475 Hooke Road Discovery Roof Rack -- Review Screenshot 2023-03-16 at 4.50.25 PM

Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
jacobrdoty

jacobrdoty

Outer Banks
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm curious to see your review after putting an RTT up there.
Coming soon! I'll be honest, I feel like I can trust this one more than my previous rack. The crossbars are beefy.

Sponsored
OP
OP
jacobrdoty

jacobrdoty

Outer Banks
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Would you know if there are any two door option’s coming in the future?
Let me ask and get back to you. Happy to be a source of info.

OP
OP
jacobrdoty

jacobrdoty

Outer Banks
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Also, how's the wind noise?
What you would expect with a roof rack above plastic non-soundproofed panels. No annoying high-pitched whistle or anything so far. I usually cruise at 70-75mph on the freeway. Basically 0 difference around town @ 45-55mph.

Brnzbronc

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
That design is no different than what every other big name is selling them for. I’m sure the integrity is just as good for half the price. The aftermarket industry is just taking advantage since the bronco is new it just sucks especially bumpers.. Bronco Bumper-$1500 stupid Jeep bumper-$400 plus the shit part is you have 6-8 week lead time for it to be made.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That is how much a rack should cost. People coughing up $2000 for something similar is silly.

It sure looks like it will be a tight fit to get the roof panels off. That should be in the next video. How long is the sale for?

Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hell I may buy one and cut it down to make it fit my 2 door for that price.
That actually seems very plausible. You might have to drill a few holes but that might be it.

OP
OP
jacobrdoty

jacobrdoty

Outer Banks
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hell I may buy one and cut it down to make it fit my 2 door for that price.
I just asked when/if they have a 2DR rack coming down the line. I could see someone taking the 4DR rack and using a cut off wheel and then 3D printing some caps on the ends. That's a lot of steps if you're up for it, but I think it's plausible if you're willing to try!

OP
OP
jacobrdoty

jacobrdoty

Outer Banks
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That actually seems very plausible. You might have to drill a few holes but that might be it.
I believe the 2DR just wouldn't have the 2nd clamp on the rear hatch so you'd just slice it and re-install the back fairing if you wanted to DIY it.

Ford Bronco $475 Hooke Road Discovery Roof Rack -- Review IMG_0197

OP
OP
jacobrdoty

jacobrdoty

Outer Banks
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That is how much a rack should cost. People coughing up $2000 for something similar is silly.

It sure looks like it will be a tight fit to get the roof panels off. That should be in the next video. How long is the sale for?

I agree. We get pretty bent over as it's a new vehicle and the competition hasn't fully bubbled yet.

Actually, it's super easy. I had them off last night on my way to/from the gym. At a red light, I did a pull up off of one of the cross bars while sitting in the driver's seat. Just got curious and it was too tempting to look up and see a monkey bar like a kid haha.

The only nuance to taking off the roof panel now is that you open the single big latch, pop the panel up out of the pin, and then close the big latch so it can slide out. Easy peasy.

Before, I'd just leave the big latch opened until I stored them in the back. That's pretty much it.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree. We get pretty bent over as it's a new vehicle and the competition hasn't fully bubbled yet.

Actually, it's super easy. I had them off last night on my way to/from the gym. At a red light, I did a pull up off of one of the cross bars while sitting in the driver's seat. Just got curious and it was too tempting to look up and see a monkey bar like a kid haha.

The only nuance to taking off the roof panel now is that you open the single big latch, pop the panel up out of the pin, and then close the big latch so it can slide out. Easy peasy.

Before, I'd just leave the big latch opened until I stored them in the back. That's pretty much it.
And how long is the sale/discount code good for?
Sponsored