Sponsored

4A front locker operation question and a serious possible warning.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
I've wondered from time to time how Ford was planning to pay for all the expected warranty damage claims from IFS and a front locker, especially when they will be having a lot of locker newbees (myself included) and having the front locker in so many models/trims.

It occurred to me that they had to have a way to measure and limit torque (based on steering angle) and since they obviously require the 4A when getting a front locker, I figured that is where the magic happens.

Ideally someone will know and let us know, otherwise conjecture is all we have. Steering angle, input/output torque sensors are easy, the mechanical connection is where I am fuzzy in my two theories. I am thinking that the 4A has the ability in both 4 low and 4 high (if it lets you lock the front in 4 high) to release the lock (at say...75% of a dangerous torque level, so as to almost always be really locked and to give it time to unlock before hitting the actual danger level) and hold with the clutch (and allowing calculated clutch slip in the 4A to limit torque to the front axle) to keep it below the theoretical calculated worst case with the angle of the wheels. I favor this theory because it is the fastest response time of the two and explains the 4A requirement. Would minimize use of the clutch and attendant heat generation. (Plus that is how I would have designed it.)

Theory two is that they release the front locker using the same calculations and as soon as it can tell which wheel is spinning, uses the brakes to limit that wheels rotation to the other. It would be slower to release the lockers then the clutch in the 4A and thus not give as much protection. Modulating the electronic throttle is also relatively slow and would take away torque from the rear axle, so I don't see that as a viable strategy.

I would be interested in people's thoughts on the subject and my theory. The possible warning would be if I am right. If the 4A is being used to protect the front moving bits, it would be using calculated loads and steering angle data. Changing wheel diameter, weight, gearing maybe even some ultra grippy tire (am sure safety margins are very high and grippy tire scenario is not really a problem), lifting the suspension, changing the geometry, etc. Might throw those calculations out the window and allow more damage to occur. Same thing using a hack to get the front to lock when the truck normally won't allow it. Mansquatch might need some extra programming beyond speedo correction to account for the larger tires, could be a reason for the delay. Anyway, that is my theory, feel free to bolster or shoot it down, either way I think it will be a fun conversation.
Sponsored

jwoobs

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

...and allowing calculated clutch slip in the 4A to limit torque to the front axle...
That's a good analysis, but unclutching the drive torque doesn't solve the problem of a locked axle. The wheels on the inside of the turn have to travel a shorter distance than those on the outside, but if they are locked at the same speed, the tires have to start slipping. On a soft surface, it's not really an issue, but on a pavement with grippy tires it will put a lot of stress into the axles.

Having said that, I'm sure Ford designed enough safety margin into it for people to have a couple "learning" experiences where their Bronco starts bucking because they left the axles locked.

Deano Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've wondered from time to time how Ford was planning to pay for all the expected warranty damage claims from IFS and a front locker, especially when they will be having a lot of locker newbees (myself included) and having the front locker in so many models/trims.

It occurred to me that they had to have a way to measure and limit torque (based on steering angle) and since they obviously require the 4A when getting a front locker, I figured that is where the magic happens.

Ideally someone will know and let us know, otherwise conjecture is all we have. Steering angle, input/output torque sensors are easy, the mechanical connection is where I am fuzzy in my two theories. I am thinking that the 4A has the ability in both 4 low and 4 high (if it lets you lock the front in 4 high) to release the lock (at say...75% of a dangerous torque level, so as to almost always be really locked and to give it time to unlock before hitting the actual danger level) and hold with the clutch (and allowing calculated clutch slip in the 4A to limit torque to the front axle) to keep it below the theoretical calculated worst case with the angle of the wheels. I favor this theory because it is the fastest response time of the two and explains the 4A requirement. Would minimize use of the clutch and attendant heat generation. (Plus that is how I would have designed it.)

Theory two is that they release the front locker using the same calculations and as soon as it can tell which wheel is spinning, uses the brakes to limit that wheels rotation to the other. It would be slower to release the lockers then the clutch in the 4A and thus not give as much protection. Modulating the electronic throttle is also relatively slow and would take away torque from the rear axle, so I don't see that as a viable strategy.

I would be interested in people's thoughts on the subject and my theory. The possible warning would be if I am right. If the 4A is being used to protect the front moving bits, it would be using calculated loads and steering angle data. Changing wheel diameter, weight, gearing maybe even some ultra grippy tire (am sure safety margins are very high and grippy tire scenario is not really a problem), lifting the suspension, changing the geometry, etc. Might throw those calculations out the window and allow more damage to occur. Same thing using a hack to get the front to lock when the truck normally won't allow it. Mansquatch might need some extra programming beyond speedo correction to account for the larger tires, could be a reason for the delay. Anyway, that is my theory, feel free to bolster or shoot it down, either way I think it will be a fun conversation.
The front locking differential can only be used in 4L and under 25mph.

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ll find out when I take mine on the Rubicon or Moab and let you know. There are times, especially on slick rock, where there is an abundance of traction and you need to unlock/ disengage traction aids or things start to bind up.

Sponsored

brunjc2

Base
First Name
Jud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

OP
OP

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
That's a good analysis, but unclutching the drive torque doesn't solve the problem of a locked axle. The wheels on the inside of the turn have to travel a shorter distance than those on the outside, but if they are locked at the same speed, the tires have to start slipping. On a soft surface, it's not really an issue, but on a pavement with grippy tires it will put a lot of stress into the axles.

Having said that, I'm sure Ford designed enough safety margin into it for people to have a couple "learning" experiences where their Bronco starts bucking because they left the axles locked.
Excellent point! Even if the engine torque was limited to 0, the axle would bind up with any rotational difference between the two tires on that axle. I had not considered that.

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
With a 4A transfer case I believe you still have the option of 4wd just like the part time transfer case.
There are enough nannies on these vehicles. If they start putting in clutches, It's not a "locker" anymore.

Deano Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Even in the manual?
The document that I checked does not say auto or manual. I wouldn't think it would matter and would still kick the locker out when it reached 25mph.
Ford Bronco 4A front locker operation question and a serious possible warning. ELD.JPG

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

There was one of the ride along KOH videos where the driver told the passenger that the lockers release (via clutch slipping I believe) when in a bind.

I think it was when he was demoing a tight turn radius and purposely left the lockers on.

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

There was one of the ride along KOH videos where the driver told the passenger that the lockers release (via clutch slipping I believe) when in a bind.

I think it was when he was demoing a tight turn radius and purposely left the lockers on.
2BD7D945-FF07-4DCE-B126-CAD64CAC09A2.jpeg

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The document that I checked does not say auto or manual. I wouldn't think it would matter and would still kick the locker out when it reached 25mph.
Ford Bronco 4A front locker operation question and a serious possible warning. 2BD7D945-FF07-4DCE-B126-CAD64CAC09A2
So I have Baja mode which is designed for high speed desert running and my front lockers won't work over 25mph?

I'm guessing this is just another Ford lack of proof reading, no?

OP
OP

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With a 4A transfer case I believe you still have the option of 4wd just like the part time transfer case.
There are enough nannies on these vehicles. If they start putting in clutches, It's not a "locker" anymore.
Sure it is, clutch engages, a mechanical coupler/pin locks the assembly mechanically with a solenoid, clutch is released, no wear or heat. Be an incredibly fast way to lock as well, clutch essentially instantly locks it, slightly slower mechanical lock(s) engage, release clutch, same thing in reverse to release. Would be ideal.

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Sure it is, clutch engages, a mechanical coupler/pin locks the assembly mechanically with a solenoid, clutch is released, no wear or heat. Be an incredibly fast way to lock as well, clutch essentially instantly locks it, slightly slower mechanical lock(s) engage, release clutch, same thing in reverse to release. Would be ideal.
It would be ideal but you're counting on more things to happen to get the job done.
I not worried about the engagement part it's the disengagement when I need it the most, as in slipping to protect parts. Just my thought.
Like the ARB in my 74', I can count on it.:)
Sponsored