Sponsored

4A front locker operation question and a serious possible warning.

Deano Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I have Baja mode which is designed for high speed desert running and my front lockers won't work over 25mph?

I'm guessing this is just another Ford lack of proof reading, no?
No, I think the document is correct. Why would you want your front lockers for Baja mode? I don't think that is the intended purpose of a LFA.
Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

No, I think the document is correct. Why would you want your front lockers for Baja mode? I don't think that is the intended purpose of a LFA.
Maybe you're correct... I was under the impression that going through soft/slippery sand (which typically requires speed) one would want all 4 wheels working for you.

I mean when people are spinning them in sand, wouldn't your speedo read over 25 even if you were literally barely moving?

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps and a Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The whole point of lockers is to keep the tires spinning the same speed no matter what. The wheel speed sensors should expect to see the tires turning the same speed when the lockers are engaged.

I suspect Ford will do something similar to what Jeep did with the Rubicon. You can only run lockers in low range under 25 miles per hour. Beyond that, you have to engage the rear locker first before you can engage the front. Since the end with more weight (i.e. the rear end when going up a hill forwards) has more traction, engaging the rear locker first makes sense. My experiments with independently selectable lockers on obstacles confirms this. (I tried a front locker only and then a rear locker only and the rear was much more effective.)

Jeep doesn't seem to have much trouble with breakage on their axles with the lockers with those restrictions. At least not until people put huge tires on factory stock axles and hit the throttle hard. I would be surprised if Ford had weak CV axles in the IFS when lockers are installed so I expect them to hold up to "normal" off road use well enough.

Just remember how to use selectable lockers when you're on the trail. Turn them on only when you need them. Turn them off when you don't.

Bronc-OH

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep XK, Jeep WJ
Your Bronco Model
Base
The document that I checked does not say auto or manual. I wouldn't think it would matter and would still kick the locker out when it reached 25mph.
ELD.JPG
So from this post, it seems that the normal 4x4, not A4x4 gets to have more fun... 2wd locked rear at any speed in sand, mud, and Baja. Thats odd to force 4x4 in the Advanced tcase for rear locker except for baja.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps and a Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Maybe you're correct... I was under the impression that going through soft/slippery sand (which typically requires speed) one would want all 4 wheels working for you.

I mean when people are spinning them in sand, wouldn't your speedo read over 25 even if you were literally barely moving?
An old school speedometer cable in the transfer case would see over 25 MPH if that happened. But modern vehicles don't use that any more. They use the ABS sensors in each wheel. The computer will see that one tire is spinning and do the traction control bit to get you moving.

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

When in 4L in either transfer case there is complete lock F/R, there will be no sensor driven slip or unlock. Driving with both axles locked require prudence by the operator.

ekim

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, Ford Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When stuff is bound up because of lockers you generally know "something's up" and know you are pushing things to one degree or another. A good rule of thumb is the more you step on the gas without actually moving the more you are pushing it and carrying spare parts and tools becomes more important.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The rear locker releases above 25mph, indicated. Vehicle can be still with the wheels spinning and it will unlock when the Speedo hits 25. The 4A won’t have any affect on locker operation. The front locker is not a clutch type, it’s is a electro-mechanical. I have not operated one, but I have no doubt it will release at the same point or lower. Front locker makes the vehicle very difficult to steer. It would be horrifying at speed.

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sure it is, clutch engages, a mechanical coupler/pin locks the assembly mechanically with a solenoid, clutch is released, no wear or heat. Be an incredibly fast way to lock as well, clutch essentially instantly locks it, slightly slower mechanical lock(s) engage, release clutch, same thing in reverse to release. Would be ideal.
One thing that comes to mind is that the locking dog clutch will require a little bit of movement / slippage in order to sequence. Basically, it has to turn enough for the teeth to align. If you draw up the clutch first, you'd have to do something to make sure that the dog teeth align in the process. If you don't, there's a good chance that the dog teeth will sit against each other and not engage. Of course, if the clutch slips slightly (just a couple of degrees probably), then the dogs can sequence. But that sort of defeats having the clutch in your proposed mechanism.

I'd be curious how much torque the clutch portion of the 4A system can handle before it would slip. It's really intended to provide relatively momentary or short duration drive to the front when demanded. It would be interesting to know what the duty cycle actually is.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So I have Baja mode which is designed for high speed desert running and my front lockers won't work over 25mph?

I'm guessing this is just another Ford lack of proof reading, no?
You also have Rock mode and that is absolutely where lockers can be used.
Sponsored