Sponsored

4A vs 2H. Which gets better gas mileage?

Pootypoot

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes
Sponsored

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘16 Corvette Z51
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Remember engines, especially the Ecoboosts, need miles on them for break in.

So if at 500 miles on the ODO you were getting 16 mpg, then a thousand miles later you tried 4A and got 18 mpg, that doesn't mean 4A is better. Because it is not. It is honestly dumb to think more parasitic drag will give you better MPG.

Your MPG will get better as the engine breaks in. This takes several thousand miles. There is no set point. YRMV.

If at say 10000 miles you repeat this test and 4A still gives you better MPG, I'd say your test was flawed. It won't.

The biggest impact to mpg will be the driver.

P.S.

People who complain about MPG after buying a Ford F'in Bronco are hilarious.

2050Broncoorsomething

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Here is another nugget to this. I switched to 100% gas with no ethanol and my mileage went to 21.8 hwy and 20 city. All in 2H

FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Here is another nugget to this. I switched to 100% gas with no ethanol and my mileage went to 21.8 hwy and 20 city. All in 2H
That's been my experience in every vehicle. Used to live in Louisiana where ethanol-free gas was easy to come by, got the best mileage I ever did out of my vehicles on those fill-ups.

Unfortunately around here, the only place I've found with it is a Buc-ee's 22 miles away, and it was $4+ a gallon before gas prices got stupid, hate to think what it is now.

ETA: https://www.pure-gas.org/ for locating it. Also a good thing to feed your lawn mower/weed eater/etc, your carburetors will thank you.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Anybody getting better mileage with Eco, was gonna give that a whirl as well or is it negligible.
No.
Ford Bronco 4A vs 2H. Which gets better gas mileage? IMG_20220413_184145

but this is how I roll, sport mode 4A with adaptive cruise control, managed over 350 miles on 1 tank (16 gallon tank, 23.1 mpg over 15.1 gallons - San Angelo, TX to Corpus Christi, TX).

Sponsored

Pootypoot

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

KnoxGnater

Badlands
First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1934 Ford Roadster Pickup, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Come on man... Don't give someone looking for real advice some sort of crap like this!
Well then, I'll keep my "smiles per gallon" comment to myself...

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

No.
Ford Bronco 4A vs 2H. Which gets better gas mileage? 1651235759890

but this is how I roll, sport mode 4A with adaptive cruise control, managed over 350 miles on 1 tank (16 gallon tank, 23.1 mpg over 15.1 gallons - San Angelo, TX to Corpus Christi, TX).
I'm assuming you weren't at 84 MPH for long because your average works out to 69 MPH and speed kills this brick's MPG quickly. I got better MPG driving like an idiot on the Tail of the Dragon than I did driving steadily on I40 at 77 MPH! :geek:

2050Broncoorsomething

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That's been my experience in every vehicle. Used to live in Louisiana where ethanol-free gas was easy to come by, got the best mileage I ever did out of my vehicles on those fill-ups.

Unfortunately around here, the only place I've found with it is a Buc-ee's 22 miles away, and it was $4+ a gallon before gas prices got stupid, hate to think what it is now.

ETA: https://www.pure-gas.org/ for locating it. Also a good thing to feed your lawn mower/weed eater/etc, your carburetors will thank you.
Ive got two 100% about a quarter mile from my house. They are .30 higher a gallon. So I paid 4.19 the last time I filled up. It isnt that bad of a deal to increase 2-3 mpg. On average with Ethanol I was getting 18 regardless of highway or city.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm almost positive the Bronco runs a live axle system like the Ranger. There are no disconnecting vacuum hubs like the F-150. The front drive system is connected and spinning at all times. It is just disconnected at the transfer case in 2H. Correct me if anyone knows something different.
Pulls in with what? The hubs are directly engaged there’s no IWE to disengage them.
There was some earlier discussion about a Front Axle Disconnect.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/why-front-axle-disconnect-fad-on-some-and-not-others.11298/

If someone has better info on how the system works, I'd be fascinated to find out.

edit: Just saw your previous post on the M190 disconnect. Any more info you could find would be awesome.

Sponsored

drew707

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There was some earlier discussion about a Front Axle Disconnect.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/why-front-axle-disconnect-fad-on-some-and-not-others.11298/

If someone has better info on how the system works, I'd be fascinated to find out.

edit: Just saw your previous post on the M190 disconnect. Any more info you could find would be awesome.

Front Axle Disconnect System Operation

Principles of Operation

NOTE: Front axle disconnect is associated with open type front differential - DANA M190.

The FAD (front axle disconnect) distributes torque across the front axle halfshafts for 4WD operation when requested. It reduces the drag and wear on the differential when disengaged, as only one axle is connected to the differential in this instance. It is controlled by the AWD module.

Torque (when commanded or selected) is provided to the front wheels via the front driveshaft, front drive axle and the FAD (front axle disconnect).

When 4H or 4WD Low (4L) operation is requested, the AWD module actuates the motor to rotate the cam. When the cam rotates, it slides the dog clutch to engage with the input shaft from the differential. This action connects the front RH half shaft to the front axle, providing 4WD operation.

Component Description

Front Axle Disconnect

The FAD (front axle disconnect) assembly is located between the RH halfshaft and the front differential side gear. The FAD (front axle disconnect) assembly is located below engine oil pan and bolted to the frame. The front axle disconnect is integrated with front differential assembly with the help of housing. Front wheels receive torque via front driveshaft, front drive axle and front axle disconnect. When commanded by the AWD the front axle disconnect transfers torque from the front drive axle through the housing to the RH halfshaft, providing 4x4 functionality.

The FAD (front axle disconnect) assembly consists of the following components

Motor
Reduction gear set
Cam
Sliding dog clutch assembly
Splined to front RH half shaft

3A7B08E5-7EB3-4F5F-99D7-9CBC69C1679A.jpeg

B0DD6572-B24B-47C8-AC75-4DE3FADE14C7.jpeg

Essentially it’s a yoke that connects disconnects the passenger axle.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have also noticed I get better MPG with a top tier brand vs non top tier

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm assuming you weren't at 84 MPH for long because your average works out to 69 MPH and speed kills this brick's MPG quickly. I got better MPG driving like an idiot on the Tail of the Dragon than I did driving steadily on I40 at 77 MPH! :geek:
Actually, the entire section of I-10 that is rated for 80 MPH, I was rolling at that speed. What you don't see reflected is the 1/2 hour traffic jam due to the accident on I-10 that I was stuck in. While it's true that I averaged 70 MPH over the entire trip, that included the fact that 3 lanes were shut-down for this accident when I got there.

Ford Bronco 4A vs 2H. Which gets better gas mileage? crash

As you can imagine, any accident that blows a car on top of the center median like this is going to cause one hell of a traffic jam. So, sorry, you assume wrong. I was moving along until I hit this mess. My average speed prior to the accident was approximately 77 MPH from San Angelo to San Antonio, this accident slowed me way down.
Sponsored

Last edited: