First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Got to scoot up to Capital Ford in Raleigh today to get some seat time behind the wheel of a 4dr Cyber Orange Badlands with the 2.3/7MT. First time seeing a Bronco in person and obviously my first time behind the wheel. This particular one had the leather interior, soft top and the Lux package. First off, the 12” screen is *huge*. Holy crap! Looks perfect in the Bronco though.

Seats are comfy, I didn’t even adjust the seat before I started the test drive. Was too excited! Guess the previous driver was around 5’10 or so.

Backing out of the parking spot I used very little throttle, maybe 1000-1200RPMs. Clutch engages fully when the pedal is almost all the way out. Took me about 20 seconds to get used to that and I haven’t driven a manual in ~8 years. Got up to 4th gear heading to the highway and the shifts are short and crisp. Perfect throw length IMO. We ended up on I-540 for a few and I got to get the Bronco up to 75mph. Soft top noise was unremarkable; you can hear some wind noise but it isn’t bad at all. No noticeable tire noise to report although BFG ATs are pretty quiet. Did not get to play with the adaptive cruise or lane keep assist or any of that driver assist stuff.

Payed attention to the RPMs in 6th gear and they were roughly ~1900 @ 60mph, ~2200@ 70 and ~2300 @ 75. Not high revving at all with the 4.70 rear end.

On the way back we took a service road and I got to get it into 4-Low to try out the Crawler gear & off-road cameras. I was on the fence about High/Lux and this might have pushed me over the edge...that camera tech is sweet. We were doing about 1mph @ idle in 4-Low/Crawler gear.

Finished up the test drive and regretted that I didn’t even try out the stereo. I was too busy checking out the rest of the stuff on the vehicle. Whoops.

Some thoughts: Badlands ride was smooth but firm. Hit some speedbumps at ~10mph and suspension soaked it up easily, no dash rattles or cabin creaking. Soft touches on the doors were nice. Seats were comfy, great visibility.

Power was adequate although I wouldn’t call the 2.3/7MT fast by any stretch. To get the most out of this engine around town you really need to be in the powerband which is mainly from 2500-5K RPMs. I didn’t wind it all the way to 6K because it only had ~200 miles on it but don’t try to short shift this thing and expect good acceleration. Let it rev to 3-4K and then shift. Slight turbo lag when I floored it after shifting into 3rd merging on the I-540 on-ramp, maybe a second or so. But once the boost built it pulled well.

Shifts were smooth for the most part, slight notchiness going into 3rd and 4th but that’s probably more due to the fact that I only had a whopping 15 minutes in the thing and haven’t driven a manual in forever.

Didn’t come close to stalling it out, and had the clutch basically all the way out before I added any throttle leaving stoplights. No issues there.

I will say I hope Ford goes to 4.88s with the 7MT/Sasquatch package next year. I don’t personally want 4.70s and 35s with this powertrain combo. I think it would be undergeared. 4.70s and 33s were a good match, but I don’t recommend 35s and definitely don’t recommend 37s with the stock 4.70s. The 2.7/7MT (wishful thinking) would be awesome.

I’m sure I’m forgetting some things, didn’t even crawl underneath but all in all I was very pleased with my test drive today. I wish I would have tested the B&O stereo but oh well. Might give me an excuse to do another test drive soon! This test drive definitely sealed the deal for me going with the manual. Way more engaging drive experience, I can only imagine how much fun it will be rowing through the gears with the top and doors off. I’m glad I 99’d my order so I can hold out for ManSquatch (please put 4.88s in the ManSquatch Ford!)

Ford Bronco 4dr. Badlands 2.3/7MT test drive report C0343D37-CA0D-4C77-A711-3ADD0D5DDE06

Ford Bronco 4dr. Badlands 2.3/7MT test drive report 0080BF5D-EAD8-4760-B6E1-AE765AEFEC4F

Ford Bronco 4dr. Badlands 2.3/7MT test drive report F66F3624-8337-482E-8E8C-0E7EC63B08C1

Sponsored

Last edited:

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve got a Badlands High ordered. I’m on the fence if the Lux is desirable or necessary. If Lux had power seats in the 2 door I’d be all over it. For the B&O stereo and adaptive cruise alone it’s a tough call.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Great info MSparks909, especially about the gearing. I bet the manual Sas will have a deeper diff gearing. Reason being the base manual has 255/70R-16 (approx 30" diameter) tires with 4.46 diff gears. And so 4.7 seems not enough jump with 35" tires to keep the 2.3L in the same power band.

HorizonHunter

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We were doing about 1mph @ idle in 4-Low/Crawler gear.
How much throttle/clutch balancing were you having to do in the crawler at that speed? Glad I went with the MT regardless, but hoping I don't hate not having trail control.

Sponsored
OP
OP
MSparks909

MSparks909

Badlands
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How much throttle/clutch balancing were you having to do in the crawler at that speed? Glad I went with the MT regardless, but hoping I don't hate not having trail control.
Zero throttle, that was at idle. Put it in 4-Low & Crawler and just let the clutch out

OP
OP
MSparks909

MSparks909

Badlands
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the review. I can't help but wonder if even 5.13s would be ideal for 35s with the 2.3L.
5.13s would be ideal for 37s or even 35s if you wanted more pep for sure. I personally wouldn’t go deeper than 5.13s in a Dana 44 cause you start running into pinion strength issues especially when wheeling.

HorizonHunter

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Zero throttle, that was at idle. Put it in 4-Low & Crawler and just let the clutch out
Having only driven MT in sporty cars, my mind is blown. I literally can't wrap my head around the concept.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Having only driven MT in sporty cars, my mind is blown. I literally can't wrap my head around the concept.
For fun, go test drive a 1991 Honda Civic wagon RT4wd. They had the same basic setup (albeit in an entirely different class of vehicle) in their 7-speed but with it being called "Super Low 1st gear" instead of crawler. Plus you probably can't find any to drive anymore.

Crawler/SL 1st will be a godsend in rush hour traffic. You can zero-pedal crawl at 1 mph, what could be better????

For all the talk about what equates to drag-racing your Bronco and needing MOARULTIMATEPOWER of the 2.7T, most of these will be on-road driven and the crawler gear will end up being easier than an automatic in traffic.

Big thanks to @MSparks909 for the review and giving his input! It's interesting to hear from somebody who has off roading experience that they want to go back to the manual, given how many other folks on here have been deadpanning that idea and extolling the virtues of driving an automatic off road instead. (I will only buy a Bronco if it's manual, so it wasn't a debate for me, just that it has been interesting to hear others opinions/desires based on their use expectations)

Sponsored

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can I take that one for a test drive even though my order is with another dealer?

OP
OP
MSparks909

MSparks909

Badlands
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I tried Crawl in 2HI as well and just let the clutch out at idle and it chugged along. Didn’t get a speed on that though. As long as you don’t dump the clutch it’ll just idle along in gear

OP
OP
MSparks909

MSparks909

Badlands
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can I take that one for a test drive even though my order is with another dealer?
Yes. My order is with Cella Ford in New Bern. I called Capital Ford and just scheduled the test drive. They were more than happy to oblige!

1st4rd

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crosstrek, Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I drove that one and they didn't care that I didn't have a res with them. You should be fine.

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My local dealer got their mannequin in today... 2dr outer banks. Was on my way to do a test drive but a huge storm came in just as we got there (this is my sorta luck). Since my daughter had things to do, we decided to go back in a day or two instead of waiting it out. Not even sure what options it has yet, other than non-squatch and race red.
Sponsored