Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
  • Banned
Ordered 4Dr BaseSquatch 2.7L - should arrive off train in next 2-3

Test drove my dealer's mannequin today: 4Dr Big Bend 2.3L Automatic

I've been firmly in the 2.7L camp, especially when paired w/Sasquatch tires, so was eager to try my dealers 2.3L Sasquatch for comparison. First thing I did was put into Sport mode and took off. I am a small guy as seen in the pic. Getting in and out was a breeze. I cranked the seat up high and the visibility was very good. We drove a while in traffic getting out to the highway. Was only on the highway a couple miles, but stomped on it and the quickness surprised me. I've owned 4 Wranglers, a couple Defenders and a 4 Runner. All those lacked power imo which is a big reason I'm attracted to the Bronco engines. Between the turbo and Sport mode, the acceleration was good. After the highway I was able to stomp on it a couple more times before being back at the dealer. To my surprise, I felt that I would be quite satisfied with the 2.3L automatic. I didn't think I would feel this way. If I owned the 2.3, I'd be in Sport mode all the time. It had about 350 miles on it and the avg mpg was 15.9. My guess is that the 2.3 probably performs better with the 10sp Auto, but manual should be good too.

Other notes: Ride and handling were noticably better than the two 4Dr Rubicons I've owned. It was quieter than I expected and it was a softtop. There was a whistle from the top which might have been from one back corner not being clamped down? Steering feel is nice for this class of vehicle, nothing like a Porsche, but a definite step up from Wrangler. Turning radius was very good. The braking feel was better than I expected also. I was worried that those big tires would have a hard time stopping, but they did fine. I told the sales guy to hang on because I'm gonna mash the brakes. He didn't mind. It's a far cry from sports car braking, but quite good for this big vehicle. I need a lot more time to come up with a real verdict, but I walked away very excited.

My BaseSquatch 2.7L MIC should arrive any day and I've done the paperwork. Carmax offered me 28% more for my trade-in than the dealer, so no brainer. I am SUPER excited to try my Sasquatch with the bigger engine. The minute it arrives, I'm driving it from Miami to Boston, then Vermont for an extended family mountain vacation. I will post thread about the trip w/mileage and driving experiences.

Ford Bronco 4Dr Sasquatch Drive - 2.3L Change of Heart PXL_20210727_162138943_2
Sponsored

lenitech

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco, 2021 Base Sasquatch (AMB)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you could would you drop the 2.7 now that you’ve driven the 2.3?

BroncoMeier

Outer Banks
First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

I've been firmly in the 2.7L camp, especially when paired w/Sasquatch tires, so was eager to try my dealers 2.3L Sasquatch for comparison. First thing I did was put into Sport mode and took off. I am a small guy as seen in the pic. Getting in and out was a breeze. I cranked the seat up high and the visibility was very good. We drove a while in traffic getting out to the highway. Was only on the highway a couple miles, but stomped on it and the quickness surprised me. I've owned 4 Wranglers, a couple Defenders and a 4 Runner. All those lacked power imo which is a big reason I'm attracted to the Bronco engines. Between the turbo and Sport mode, the acceleration was good. After the highway I was able to stomp on it a couple more times before being back at the dealer. To my surprise, I felt that I would be quite satisfied with the 2.3L automatic. I didn't think I would feel this way. If I owned the 2.3, I'd be in Sport mode all the time. It had about 350 miles on it and the avg mpg was 15.9. My guess is that the 2.3 probably performs better with the 10sp Auto, but manual should be good too.

Other notes: Ride and handling were noticably better than the two 4Dr Rubicons I've owned. It was quieter than I expected and it was a softtop. There was a whistle from the top which might have been from one back corner not being clamped down? Steering feel is nice for this class of vehicle, nothing like a Porsche, but a definite step up from Wrangler. Turning radius was very good. The braking feel was better than I expected also. I was worried that those big tires would have a hard time stopping, but they did fine. I told the sales guy to hang on because I'm gonna mash the brakes. He didn't mind. It's a far cry from sports car braking, but quite good for this big vehicle. I need a lot more time to come up with a real verdict, but I walked away very excited.

My BaseSquatch 2.7L MIC should arrive any day and I've done the paperwork. Carmax offered me 28% more for my trade-in than the dealer, so no brainer. I am SUPER excited to try my Sasquatch with the bigger engine. The minute it arrives, I'm driving it from Miami to Boston, then Vermont for an extended family mountain vacation. I will post thread about the trip w/mileage and driving experiences.

beautiful rig. I wonder if the bigger engine will get better gas mileage because it has to do less work to move the Bronco. Pic Would really be awesome if you said you were 6’4”!

OP
OP
Cheshire

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
  • Banned
If you could would you drop the 2.7 now that you’ve driven the 2.3?
I would not drop the 2.7L.

The gas mileage is similar, so I'd always opt for more power. For me, more is better. I also only drove the 2.3 for 15-20 minutes. I'm sure there will be times that I'd want more power. I also didn't get the vehicle over 60 mph. Cruising at 75-85 on a highway road trip aggressively, extra horses always come in handy.

A Base 911 is fast as shit, but people still pay a lot more for the S, GTS, GT3, GT3 RS, Turbo, Turbo S & GT2 RS. $1895 for the Bronco engine upgrade is a bargain, so a no brained for me

Sponsored

telenerd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I live at 7200ft and my trails are over 9k feet. I’m going with the 2.7 BL Sasquatch. I was torn between the 2 door and 4 door. After seeing videos online there is no way I’d be able to fit my backcountry skis and ski gear in back and carrying multiple passengers. So I went 4 door.

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That AMB Sas 4dr looks amazing. basically what i'd order. but want the manual.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

That Sasquatch looks like a beast! How tall are you?

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For those of you that need engine advice-

While you can opt for an Outer Banks with Ford's 2.3-liter turbo I-4, our test vehicle was equipped with the $1,895 2.7-liter twin-turbo V-6. MotorTrend contributor Basem Wasef simultaneously happened to be driving a two-door Bronco Outer Banks with the four-cylinder, and he felt that even in the smaller, lighter Bronco model, the little engine is weak sauce. Additionally, the Outer Banks trim only comes with a 10-speed automatic transmission, and since you can't get any manual Bronco with the V-6, the big engine is absolutely the way to go. Unconvinced?
This new Bronco is no lightweight, as it tipped our scales to the tune of 4,828 pounds. To put that in perspective, a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara ("Unlimited" is Jeep-speak for four doors) with a 3.6-liter V-6 weighs 4,391 pounds. There's more than 400 pounds of additional beef on the Ford. Yes, you want the V-6.

You can learn more reading one article from automotive experts than of hundreds of owner/test driver reviews...

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

For those of you that need engine advice-

While you can opt for an Outer Banks with Ford's 2.3-liter turbo I-4, our test vehicle was equipped with the $1,895 2.7-liter twin-turbo V-6. MotorTrend contributor Basem Wasef simultaneously happened to be driving a two-door Bronco Outer Banks with the four-cylinder, and he felt that even in the smaller, lighter Bronco model, the little engine is weak sauce. Additionally, the Outer Banks trim only comes with a 10-speed automatic transmission, and since you can't get any manual Bronco with the V-6, the big engine is absolutely the way to go. Unconvinced?
This new Bronco is no lightweight, as it tipped our scales to the tune of 4,828 pounds. To put that in perspective, a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara ("Unlimited" is Jeep-speak for four doors) with a 3.6-liter V-6 weighs 4,391 pounds. There's more than 400 pounds of additional beef on the Ford. Yes, you want the V-6.

You can learn more reading one article from automotive experts than of hundreds of owner/test driver reviews...
Based on that vehicle weight will these qualify for tax deductions?

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the review. I have 100% confidence in the 2.3 being perfectly suited to my needs.

I just learned this morning the small engine in the Tacoma makes...wait for it...a whopping 159hp.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Looking forward to your report when you get yours Steven. Myself I would rather read a real world persons report over 100 so called professional reports. I just don't think that the "professional" reporters live in the same real life with kids, going to the grocery store, and stopping at Lowes on the way home world as we do.

Boxer4

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRUCK
Your Bronco Model
Base

Just put my 2 door 2.7L ( 600 + miles ) in sport mode for the first time yesterday. Kept it in normal & 2H mode just to test mileage ( 20.6 MPG on 500+ miles- back roads ). The sport mode seems to drag until you nail it. Good luck on your upcoming delivery.

OP
OP
Cheshire

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just put my 2 door 2.7L ( 600 + miles ) in sport mode for the first time yesterday. Kept it in normal & 2H mode just to test mileage ( 20.6 MPG on 500+ miles- back roads ). The sport mode seems to drag until you nail it. Good luck on your upcoming delivery.
Is yours Sasquatch? That would be good mileage if it is.