BBSas

First Name
Doug Hartley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking
Hi all,
I'm new to the Forum. I had a 22 Bronco until I had a small encounter with another vehicle. The Bronco didn't have that much damage IMO but the insurance company declared it a total loss. I had waited 2 years and can't wait that long again. I also have to question the longevity based on the repair estimates, etc. of the Bronco, especially the IFS components. I had a 1995 4Runner for 15 years and a Tacoma after that for 8 years before the Bronco so I am definitely a Toyota fan. I've done what research I can trying to determine what's next for me and I haven't landed solidly on anything yet. It appears that the 2024 Landcruiser, 2025 4Runner and the 2024 Tacoma are are built on the new platform and at least the Tacoma will offer a Hybrid version of the new 2.4 engine and the others will have the same power plant. I have a 2500 pound boat that I tow, no serious off-roading but like having the availability of a 4WD but don't really need it. I like the look of the LC 1958 but also like the renderings of the 2025 4Runner. So here's the question's. Apologies up front if these are stupid questions. (Also posted on the Landcruiser GAF forum)

Thoughts on the new engine and designs?
A hybrid around saltwater ? I see where the 2024 Tacoma has accessories available for fording so I'm thinking it's not an issue.
Will a 2024 Landcruiser and a 2025 4Runner be available around the same time frame?
Go with the tried and true version of the 4Runner and be a generation behind? What might I be giving up or gaining?
Your preference and why?

Last edited:

4 Run Run Run

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Liberty Sport with manual transmission
I've been a member of Bronco6g forum for over 4 years anxiously waiting for the arrival of the new 6g Bronco. So I understand why you had to wait so long for getting your Bronco. But I also understand why you are concerned about getting another Bronco given all the issues that many Bronco owners are experiencing. So I have re-evaluated my SUV choice and am now waiting for the arrival of the 2025 4Runner - which I understand may be available to order mid-2024. But my reasoning for now wanting the 2025 4Runner is simple - the reliability of a Toyota, the permanent metal roof of the 4Runner, and, the most important thing - hopefully the availability of a manual transmission.

OP
OP

BBSas

First Name
Doug Hartley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking
I’m with you on that. I loved the Bronco but now it’s time to move on.
2025 Toyota 4runner 4Runner, Landcruiser IMG_5068
2025 Toyota 4runner 4Runner, Landcruiser IMG_5047
2025 Toyota 4runner 4Runner, Landcruiser IMG_5051

sub_sonarman

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4Runner TRD Pro, 2018 Ford F250
I don't know much about the new engine but Toyota is using various versions of it all over the place on both Lexus and Toyota vehicles so I'm guessing it's been well tested.

The hybrid battery should be inside the cab like it is on Tundra and Sequoia so I don't think there's any issues with saltwater or fording.

Toyota announced the Landcruiser will be available in Spring 2024, but have not announced or revealed the 4R yet. I would expect 4R will be fall 2024 based off Tacoma timing for 2024 MY.

If you can wait for the LC I think it will be awesome but hard to get, at least initially. If you get a 5G 4R now you are not giving up much other than advanced electronics. Toyota has put in all of the recent safety features in the 4R except 360 view. I have a 21 4R and literally the only thing I dislike is the 5 speed transmission. I wish it was it had 6 to 8 gears, but that's only because of fuel economy. The engine and tranny performance are great. Also I wish there was a one touch button to lower all five windows at the same time but that's just picky. I wouldn't give up my 21 for a new 4R or LC except mine is a lease so I have no choice. I'll look at LC first because the new 4R won't be out when my lease is up, but I'm leaning towards a 24 4R TRD Pro. Only problem is there I don't like Terra so maybe will get grey or a solar octane TRD ORP.

Last edited:
OP
OP

BBSas

First Name
Doug Hartley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking
I don't know much about the new engine but Toyota is using various versions of it all over the place on both Lexus and Toyota vehicles so I'm guessing it's been well tested.

The hybrid battery should be inside the cab like it is on Tundra and Sequoia so I don't think there's any issues with saltwater or fording.

Toyota announced the Landcruiser will be available in Spring 2024, but have not announced or revealed the 4R yet. I would expect 4R will be fall 2024 based off Tacoma timing for 2024 MY.

If you can wait for the LC I think it will be awesome but hard to get, at least initially. If you get a 5G 4R now you are not giving up much other than advanced electronics. Toyota has put in all of the recent safety features in the 4R except 360 view. I have a 21 4R and literally the only thing I dislike is the 5 speed transmission. I wish it was it had 6 to 8 gears, but that's only because of fuel economy. The engine and tranny performance are great. Also I wish there was a one touch button to lower all five windows at the same time but that's just picky. I wouldn't give up my 21 for a new 4R or LC except mine is a lease so I have no choice. I'll look at LC first because the new 3R won't be out when my lease is up, but I'm leaning towards a 24 4R TRD Pro. Only problem is there I don't like Terra so maybe will get grey or a solar octane TRD ORP.
Great feedback, Thank You!