Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No interest in a Tacoma but this does give me hope that a 4Runner is also being tested somewhere in Japan given that they share the same platform

Rex21c

Wildtrak
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 fusion energi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Meh, the only and sole reason I didn't go for a 4 runner is it's only got 270HP with the 4.0 V6 and i've read owners report that they wish there was more. My wife didn't want one because it's not a bronco.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm tired of all the mid size trucks becoming full size and the full size becoming one-tons on 1/2 ton frames. I'm verry happy with my 2012 Tacoma but will not be looking at a new one due to how large they are becoming.

bodean

Base
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
76 Mini, 99 4Runner, 07 FJ Cruiser, 16 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The second line clearly states they are using modified Tundra bodies.

They are only testing drivelines, I wouldn’t base too much on the looks of these mules.

OP
OP

supra93

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supra & RX7
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
LINK: 2024 Tacoma (4th Gen) 920B Inside Info - Development, Ordering, Production, Availability

• Development Program Code is 920B
    • 2016MY Tacoma was 989A code
      • 2020MY MMC (Mid Model Change) is called 625B code interchangeably.
    • Formal planning of this vehicle has been underway for about 4 years now, from what I do know.
      • Was targeted to enter production much earlier than planned.
        • TNGA-F suffered domino effect like delays from the top down in 2019, which warranted pushing back all redesigns by over 1 year.
    • Final styling work was wrapping about 1 year ago and was formally "frozen for production" recently.
      • Was due for executive review sometime at the end of 2020 or beginning of 2021, for styling sign-off, from what I heard via CALTY last year.
    • Was previously scheduled for start of production in Q3 2023 (to be more exact August 2023), from 2019 to Q3 2021, but is now scheduled for December 2023 per my own information (database) and further confirmed by a Toyota Tier 1 supplier.
      • Per Tier 1 supplier, 920B program was apparently delayed another 4 months.
      • Instead of launching in September 2023 as a 2024 model, it will likely arrive anywhere between late January and February 2024.
    • Vehicle pictured hereis a TNGA-F midsize mechanical mule, using Tundra body panels, chopped up and welded back together in a smaller size.
      • This isn't the final production design.
      • Mule doesn't use any body panels from the current N300 Tacoma, because the 150-Series basis (C-Channel version) likely wasn't as favorable to utilize for testing the newer TNGA-F vehicle, compared to shortening a Tundra body and slapping it on top.
      • First integrated vehicle prototypes should begin testing next year, wearing the final design.
      • Subject to executive discretion, whether or not they will be on public runs sooner than late 2022/early 2023, where they can be photographed for "spy" shots.
    • Final production design is absolutely a done deal at this point, with only minor trim work ongoing until fully locking down all aspects of styling each trim level and deeper details. Currently primary sheetmetal is fully defined, in order to design and manufacture new assembly tooling.
    • Will only be built in Toyota Motor Manufacturing Guanajuato (TMMGT) and Toyota Motor Manufacturing Baja California (TMMBC).
    • Will be offered with a new Dynamic Force I4 hybrid.
The current Tacoma has always been intended to have a much shorter life cycle, being that it was developed in a meager 3 1/2 years from 2011 to 2015, compared to the average 5-6 years it takes to develop a new body on frame vehicle.

The idea a 10 year run is automatic, is misbegotten and doesn't take into account market conditions and product planning circumstances, unique to each past generation of Tacoma.

Toyota in 2009 cancelled redesigning a fully new 3rd generation Tacoma due to the Great Recession and focused on developing a heavy facelift of the 2nd generation vehicle for 2012MY, after already being updated for MY2009 in October 2008.

Product planning decisions were made to later develop a Major Minor Change, now instead designated a "new" generation for MY 2016 as a stop-gap, instead of a fully new Tacoma for MY2014 that only had evolutionary styling ties to its predecessor and no shared components.

It was only supposed to last 6 to 8 years in production, from Job 1 in Summer of 2015 and market launch on September 10, 2015 as a 2016 model. Not 10-11 years, as seen expected.

2nd generation Tacoma was in production from August 2004 to Summer 2015, initially launching on October 18, 2004 as a 2005 model and retired on September 9, 2015.

It was manufactured at NUMMI (now owned by Tesla) from September 2004 to March 26, 2010. TMMBC Mexico from December 2004 to August 2015 and TMMTX Texas from June 2010 to August 2015.

More long term, a plan was decided to create TNGA and gradually implement across various segments, starting with Corolla sized vehicles by mid-2010s, working it's way up to body on frame vehicles in the early 2020s.

TNGA-F has now debuted in June 2021 via the 2022 Land Cruiser 300 (700B Program) press release and stateside via the 780B Program 2022 Tundra pickup.

It will make its way to the Tacoma and 4Runner for 2024, after multiple delays along the way.

Hilux will allegedly join TNGA-F, but currently it is based on the heavy duty, developing world focused IMV architecture, not shared with more upscale Land Cruiser Prado 150-based Tacoma.

It is not known if the two trucks will maintain unique styling or if they will be twinned once again, like prior to March 1995.

2023 MY Tacoma will go on sale in October 2022 and run through December 2023 in showrooms. Production is scheduled to begin in August 2022 and end in November 2023. Last MY of the current generation vehicle, it is mostly carryover.

Last edited by a moderator:

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

LINK: 2024 Tacoma (4th Gen) 920B Inside Info - Development, Ordering, Production, Availability

• Will be offered with a new Dynamic Force I4 hybrid.
It will make its way to the Tacoma and 4Runner for 2024, after multiple delays along the way.

2023 MY Tacoma will go on sale in October 2022
Great post, thank you.

Dr. Carmaker1 posted in a 4Runner forum information in alignment with the above points. Further starting the 4Runner should go on sale in the spring of 2024 as a 2024 model, about 6 months behind the Tacoma.

Motor Trend has now also joined the Tacoma information flow, assume the 4Runner will have the same powertrains:
Next-Gen 2024 Toyota Tacoma Will Offer Gas, Hybrid, and Full EV Trucks
https://www.motortrend.com/news/future-cars-2024-toyota-tacoma-electric-truck/

We believe Toyota will offer up a wider variety of Tacomas than ever before, with a turbocharged I-4, hybridized V-6, and even an electric Tacoma all in the cards.

When it comes to the 2024 Tacoma, we believe Toyota will offer a version of the Lexus NX350's 275-hp 2.4-liter turbocharged I-4 as the base engine, and possibly a detuned version of the Tundra's hybridized 389-hp 3.4-liter twin-turbo V-6. Transmission options likely include a six-speed manual and 10-speed automatic; both rear- and four-wheel drive will be available.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator: