4x4 Class 101 (Saving Broncos from Permanent Mall Crawler Duty)

Used2jeep

Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Bronco
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m thinking it’s been about 50 years since I’ve been called a freak.

long haired freaky people need not apply!
Signs! Signs! Everywhere signs!
Advertisement

chobit

Badlands
First Name
Eddy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2019 MIata GT, 2021 Bronco BL
Bronco
Badlands
I used to go 4 wheeling with a few local 4x4 clubs. The Jeep group tend of be a little more hardcore, but one of the group I go 4 wheeling with tend to have a little of everything with minimal to no mod. See Pic:
1627970187859.png

Here is my take on 4x4 101. (PNW)
1> Never go alone, join with a local 4x4 (Beginner friendly)

2> Learn the diff. between Open Diff. , traction control aid, and lockers

3> Learn the diff. between 4A, 4H & 4L.

4> Look under your Bronco, and learn where the skid plates are, and the locations on some of the lowest point. (Rock Rails are essential for many types of 4x4 trails)

5> When you are facing a real obstacle, get out of the Bronco, then spend some time to review the line and ask yourself why? It would be easier if you have a more experience driver who you can follow with a (equally or less capable 4x4), you should be able to learn what lines he/she takes.

6> Some 4x4 trails may provide a bypass to skip an obstacle, or a easy line for less capable 4x4s.

7> One thing I enjoy with 4 wheeling is that getting through an obstacle is like puzzle solving. Before you drive over the obstacle, you analyst where you front' tire should go first, about where to turn the steering wheel (or how much to turn), and where you want your rear tires to go, etc.

8> Beginner obstacles should require much wheel spins. Excessive wheel spins may break things. The key is maintain the momentum, driving with open diff. may require a tiny bit more speed/momentum then with lockers. When I talk about momentum, think about that extra bump you have to go up on your drive way. You don't want to stop or slow down the moment it's ready to go up, it's matter of rolling up there with the right amount of speed & momentum, then give it a tiny bit of gas at the right moment to go up smoothly.

9> Air down the tires, I agree that 18-20psi should be sufficient, the reason to air down your tires is to allow, better comfort, larger contact surface, and the allow the tires to wrap on irregular shape obstacle better.

10> Air Compressor is good to have, it may be a little slow, but I like to be a little bit more prepare then needing to drive on the highway under inflated.

11> I recommend not to go crazy on recovery gears until you start doing more 4 wheeling, but for your own safety, you can bring your own tow strap and soft shackle. I have seen people bring out worn out tow strap that are ready to snap any moment which would be easier to refuse the offer if you have your own.

Here is one of the place we used to go to frequently. Sunrise Lake, BC Canada
Not my video:

Last edited:

VegasJason

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley 04 FLHRSI
Bronco
Black Diamond
Clubs

It occurs to me a lot of people who have never driven off-road will be buying the new Ford Bronco with dreams of being rugged trail blazers. Believe it or not everybody on the 6G forums is a hardcore off-roader. But some will never achieve this goal because they have limited, or no knowledge of what off-roading looks like or how to learn the skills to do it. If you don’t know where to look to for direction or have someone to direct you, your just left with wondering how to do it, and most likely you never do it. Most of what we see are crazy pictures of extreme rock crawling that would scare off even the hardiest of adventures when it comes to their new 30k to 60k Bronco. But the reality is there are several different types of off roading and most of it will not beat your new Bronco to death.

What I would like this thread to become is a helpful guide to the novice who is seeking guidance and instruction on how to begin down the unpaved trail. Whether it be suggestions or explanations it will start to give people knowledge that they can build upon and encouragement to seeking out their dream of off-roading.

Don’t be afraid to ask any question, I assure you are not the only one that wants to know the answer.
And for the love of all that is sacred please don’t start Judging people in this thread. It is a great opportunity to reach out and promote, don’t screw it up with childish crap!

If you are asking a question, please be concise with the question. It is difficult to answer vague questions in a meaningful way. Don’t ask how I should build out my Bronco questions, but instead ask, if I get this on my Bronco will it benefit me on the trail or how will it affect the vehicle. If your answering a question, please have extensive knowledge of the subject matter and don’t speculate. Please be mindful that you are educating a person that might not understand all the terms and lingo so don’t over complicate your responses.

Please let us not turn this into a thread that debates on options, opinions, conjecture. We can start another thread for the lawyers to debate. Remember this it to educate and inform. If your post neither seeks learning nor educates then it has no place in this thread.

Thanks to all those who help here with questions and teachings!
This! This is exactly what I was looking for !

gigidaho

Wildtrak
First Name
Gig
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAM 1500
Bronco
Wildtrak
I have a dumb question!! One that has plagued me for years but has always been too dumb to ask...
In town we have a normal dirt mountain road that's a notorious tire destroyer, the rocks aren't large but apparently they're sharp. On one trip in our truck we got two flats, about 5 miles apart (we ended up having to ride our bikes 40 miles home, but that's another story) and this dude who pulled over to help me change it out told me the trick was to keep the tires on the extra firm side so they could 'pop' off the sharp rocks. I've always known the opposite to be true, so I would have just blown off his suggestion except this dude had the kind of respectable grey mustache that made me feel like he knew of which he spoke.
So... is this an actual thing? Or am I being had?

OP
OP
icd70

icd70

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Bronco
Badlands
Clubs

I have a dumb question!! One that has plagued me for years but has always been too dumb to ask...
In town we have a normal dirt mountain road that's a notorious tire destroyer, the rocks aren't large but apparently they're sharp. On one trip in our truck we got two flats, about 5 miles apart (we ended up having to ride our bikes 40 miles home, but that's another story) and this dude who pulled over to help me change it out told me the trick was to keep the tires on the extra firm side so they could 'pop' off the sharp rocks. I've always known the opposite to be true, so I would have just blown off his suggestion except this dude had the kind of respectable grey mustache that made me feel like he knew of which he spoke.
So... is this an actual thing? Or am I being had?
I agree that sounds very counter intuitive. I would think the more pressure the easier it is to puncture. I hope somebody who has extensive knowledge on this can let us know the answer and an explanation as to why it works if this is true would be even better.
I'm going to start leaving my bike at home so I'm never tempted to ride it 40 miles home... :p

OP
OP
icd70

icd70

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Bronco
Badlands