Sponsored

4x4 Class 101 (Saving Broncos from Permanent Mall Crawler Duty)

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Tire basics. What is a good useable tire size for 101 level off-roading? I'm assuming something taller than stock on the Base? I was guessing at least 32"?
Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am sure you will get lots of opinions. I had 32” BFG Mud Terrains on my Jeep TJ and it was very capable. I like back road exploring, running power lines, snow wheeling, hunting and the 32” tires with agressive tread were more than adequate. Rock crawling and deep mud? Probably bigger the better up to the point your gearing or clearance limit performance. Bigger tires also let your vehicle get over obstacles easier as the larger circumference improves your ability to “roll over “ obstacles like rocks or logs. Depending on your situation, remember wider tires provide better flotation in sand, but typically do not perform as well in the ice and snow, where increased pressure (more weight per sq. in. of tire), all things being equal, can perform better. I would say for many, a good 32” all terrain is a good starting point.

BWS_TX

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yukon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Tire basics. What is a good useable tire size for 101 level off-roading? I'm assuming something taller than stock on the Base? I was guessing at least 32"?
I am a newbie and found the attached video elsewhere in the forum so will repost here. It supports the prior recommendation of 32" IMO. In short, the 35" work better that the others off road except not as well on road and braking. This seems logical. I was surprised at close the 33" performed to the 35" off road and much better on road. The 33" seemed to well out perform the 31" off road with limited negative effects on road. This being said, the off road situations they tested in seem more challenging than beginner. This video can help you assess.

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ditto! My fear is deep mud that I misjudged and not prepared.
I don’t know if they still sell them or not, but I hunted for a long time using various “Off Road Atlas” publications. I carried both of them for my state because of different levels of detail. I remember sections of dirt road were labeled “impassable when wet.” I always considered that a clue. Pretty handy to have when the gps app is laying down blue track for where I’d been. Then based the shape of the track, I Could match that shape with the shape of the road on the map to figure out where I was at. Primitive by today’s standards but it worked.

GEP

Badlands
First Name
Glynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am sure you will get lots of opinions. I had 32” BFG Mud Terrains on my Jeep TJ and it was very capable. I like back road exploring, running power lines, snow wheeling, hunting and the 32” tires with agressive tread were more than adequate. Rock crawling and deep mud? Probably bigger the better up to the point your gearing or clearance limit performance. Bigger tires also let your vehicle get over obstacles easier as the larger circumference improves your ability to “roll over “ obstacles like rocks or logs. Depending on your situation, remember wider tires provide better flotation in sand, but typically do not perform as well in the ice and snow, where increased pressure (more weight per sq. in. of tire), all things being equal, can perform better. I would say for many, a good 32” all terrain is a good starting point.
My Jeep GC Trailhawk is on 31s and it has been very surprising. It wasn't by choice but I used it to pull out a friend in a Wrangler on 35s who'd gotten stuck. I drove all the terrain he had and pulled him out and made it back. The only problem is that the approach and departure angles suck.

Sponsored

Tarjea

Base
First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Can you use a portable air pump you buy at an auto store or is that not feasible?
ALWAYS. HAVE. YOUR. OWN. PUMP. One of the first things you should get before getting into offroading. Make sure you get one strong enough for your vehicle to.

Tarjea

Base
First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

(Looks at the Bronco test mule photos)

Soooo... Any advice on off-roading and avoiding cosmetic damage? I assume, the advice would be "only do easy trails" and probably no rock climbing... But I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the subject?

(Looks at the Bronco test mule photos AGAIN)

I mean.. It will be a new vehicle after all. Don't get me wrong, I'm a firm believer that scars build character... But, we are talking about brand new Broncos?

Right? Am I crazy to worry about this?
A buddy of mine posted some removable body armor(it was some kind of light weight plastic or something). There is probably a finished product out there, but you're just as likely to get cosmetic damage on road, too.

N3T

Big Bend
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 e320 wagon
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I am a newbie and found the attached video elsewhere in the forum so will repost here. It supports the prior recommendation of 32" IMO. In short, the 35" work better that the others off road except not as well on road and braking. This seems logical. I was surprised at close the 33" performed to the 35" off road and much better on road. The 33" seemed to well out perform the 31" off road with limited negative effects on road. This being said, the off road situations they tested in seem more challenging than beginner. This video can help you assess.

Pretty amazing that 35” tires needed 50% farther to stop than 33” tires with no other changes to the vehicle. That gives me something to think about with the Sasquatch pkg. Thanks for sharing.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Pretty amazing that 35” tires needed 50% farther to stop than 33” tires with no other changes to the vehicle. That gives me something to think about with the Sasquatch pkg. Thanks for sharing.

They have more rotating mass. And some think they should have 37's, more like 80% more with these. Just putting it out there.

Sponsored

N3T

Big Bend
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 e320 wagon
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
They have more rotating mass. And some think they should have 37's, more like 80% more with these. Just putting it out there.
Oh, I get the physics of it: i=mr^2 and all so the farther away from the center the mass is the effect is exponential. I’ve just never seen a display like that where you can see a few #s of tire mass have such an effect on a 2-3 ton vehicle. It’s kind of mind-blowing.

Ford Bronco 4x4 Class 101 (Saving Broncos from Permanent Mall Crawler Duty) A5697AB5-7063-45EA-ABBF-4E878EB72B66

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Oh, I get the physics of it: i=mr^2 and all so the farther away from the center the mass is the effect is exponential. I’ve just never seen a display like that where you can see a few #s of tire mass have such an effect on a 2-3 ton vehicle. It’s kind of mind-blowing.

A5697AB5-7063-45EA-ABBF-4E878EB72B66.gif

I'm no genius but I can say that if you but the Bronco on a chassis dyno with 33's and get a baseline you will find that 35's suck power away from it ( not as much HP at the wheel ). Then put a 37 on it and you will loose more HP at the wheel. This is why lightweight forged wheels are in racing to make up for the rotating mass of large tires ( off road or drag).

It is quite mind blowing. Have you ever watched a top fueler launch in super slow-mo ???? Check it out, it will really blow you mind at how much stuff is distorted from the torque of launching 10,000 HP.

Last edited:

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'll start with these questions.
How do I know how difficult a trail is? is there a trail rating system? Is there a good website for finding trails across the US?
There may be online forums about that particular trail but I have found the best way is to find someone who has been down the trail a few times and ask them.
ALWAYS. HAVE. YOUR. OWN. PUMP. One of the first things you should get before getting into offroading. Make sure you get one strong enough for your vehicle to.
heck, you should have this even if you never want to off road. I use mine for all my cars regularly when the weather changes and pressure changes.

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

(Looks at the Bronco test mule photos)

Soooo... Any advice on off-roading and avoiding cosmetic damage? I assume, the advice would be "only do easy trails" and probably no rock climbing... But I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the subject?

(Looks at the Bronco test mule photos AGAIN)

I mean.. It will be a new vehicle after all. Don't get me wrong, I'm a firm believer that scars build character... But, we are talking about brand new Broncos?

Right? Am I crazy to worry about this?
I will say that you will most likely get redneck pinstripes on any wooded trail you go on if there are lots of trees around. Even being super careful I always seem to get scratches from branches, that includes the “beginner” trails too depending on how wide the trail is. With that being said I am totally ready to scratch the S**t out of my brand new bronco. Battle scars shows you use her how she was intended?